How do you "set" your loose powder eye shadows?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Since I discovered loose powder mineral eye shadows (like those sold by LA Minerals, Pure Mineral Elegance, etc), I have found that they are my favorite since I can blend, create, etc.  Lately, for some reason, I can't seem to hold the powder color on my eyes as long as I used to. I have a great primer, which certainly helps. But today even with primer, my eye shadow is barely on and it's only been 5 hours.

I know there are products that you can use to turn loose mineral shadows into waterproof eye liner (I have Make Up For Ever's "Eye Seal"), but it feels like your painting your lids with clear nail polish when it dries.

I need suggestions:  What do you use to keep your loose powder eye shadows from "falling out" all over your face?

(BTW, I use L'Oreal's De-Crease Eye Shadow Primer now, which works better than Primer Potion and Mary Kay's Eye Primer on my eyes.... tried just about all of them.)

Have you tried the eye drops trick, Hard Candy's Show Girl's Secret or even Pixie Epoxy?

Originally Posted by zadidoll /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Have you tried the eye drops trick, Hard Candy's Show Girl's Secret or even Pixie Epoxy?

Haven't heard of any of that.... can you elaborate a bit more (and add photos if you have them???)

With the eye drop trick you're simply foiling the loose pigment. It does help stick the product on but it doesn't last unlike Pixie Epoxy or Show Girl's Secret.

With Pixie Epoxy you get results like this:

From Get Lippie.

Lots and lots of videos on Youtube about it.

Pixie Epoxy is more on the creamy side than Show Girl's secret, which is like a water. I own both and prefer Pixie Epoxy. The brush that comes with Show Girl's Secret is HORRIBLE, better to use a thin eyeliner brush than their brush. I don't have pictures for SGS but I could do a few swatches tomorrow if you like to see a comparison between the two.

The downside to both is that both are super sticky but you have to work REALLY fast with both. The only thing I dislike about PE is the doe foot applicator which stains so I also recommend a small liner brush to dip into the tube.

From Fyrinnae's site:

Product Information A must-have for shimmery, sparkling shadows! This is not an eye shadow primer, or really a base. It is to keep sparkles on or to make shimmery shadows appear "glossy": a foiled look without foiling.
Originally developed and formulated for a friend/pro artist in 2008, this unique "glue" is designed to hold the sparkliest, most shimmery eye shadows in place, minimize "fallout", and also to easily create a foiled look without foiling. Don't worry, it's easily washed off, and while keeps shadows in a water-resistant state, the product itself is water-soluble (no silicones or oils). Polymers give the stickiness, while glycerin and propylene glycol keep it wet and slick on skin long enough to apply & blend shadows. Packaged in a lipgloss tube/doefoot wand (we found this was easiest for application and least messy), all you need is a tiny dab (we're not kidding, use the tiniest amount you can manage!) rubbed on with wand or fingertip over your usual primer. Wait several seconds, as the Epoxy should be tacky but not wet, and apply dry loose shadow with a brush. More Epoxy may be desired for very glittery products. This product also enables the shadow to be brushed on rather than patted. Fingertip shadow application does not work well with this product, and shadow is best applied dry. Wet application may work, but not with every shade/texture. Translucent in the tube, applies and dries completely clear. May make some shades appear darker, and doesn't work as well with mattes. To help prevent creasing under matte and shimmer shades, please use an actual shadow primer under this. Pixie Epoxy is safe to use under eyeliner, but not recommended for application directly on the waterline. Our customers use this under pressed eye shadow as well as loose. We have a few tips here, and a lovely client created a video tutorial here. There's also a comparison by Phyrra Ma href="http://phyrra.net/2011/01/shadow-transformation.html">here

10 ml tube (sample is provided in a mini jar, at about 1.5 ml provides enough for at least 10-15 full uses)
Ingredients: Glycerin (vegetable derived), Purified Water (Aqua), Acrylamide/Ammonium acrylate copolymer, Propylene Glycol, Polyisobutene, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice, Silica, Polysorbate 20, Carbomer, Polyaminopropyl Biguanide, Potassium Sorbate.

From Binary Star.

Sample size: $1.50

Full size: $5

Hard Candy's Show Girl Secret is $6 or $8, off hand I don't really remember.

Fyrinnae's Pixie Epoxy is great. It really gets the glitter from eyeshadows to stick, but can be a bit tricky to blend out. The good thing is the sample is only 1.50 and it lasts a long time because you only need to use a thin layer. You can also try making homemade mixing medium using just water and glycerine. Personally I prefer this over PE. It's just easier for me to work with.

Well, in my case I have never used eye primers for holding color, only for creating a brick wall against the oil.

If its a loose color of some sort, you could try using a cream shadow after the application of the primer to hold the makeup down. It's usually what I do to make sure that my eye shadows pop more in color. And cream shadow sticks you could get anywhere, discount beauty stores, drug stores, wherever. It usually does the trick. ;) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Originally Posted by ScarletNight /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Well, in my case I have never used eye primers for holding color, only for creating a brick wall against the oil.

In Hard Candy and Fyrinnae's products neither are primers and are considered more as "glues".

As for cream sticks, those work as well and can also help make colors pop depending on the base.

If you do decide to use the pixie epoxy I recommend wearing a primer and shadow underneath so you get the effect of blending.  Once it is on it is difficult to blend.  It really is a glue and you only need to use a little bit.  Another issue with pixie epoxy is that it can take a while to get.  The company is an independent one and Fyrinnae often gets very bogged down with orders and actually shuts down their site temporarily.  I had to wait a few days checking back on the site to order some.  It is worth to get a bunch of stuff from them being that their shadows primers and epoxy are so nice. 

That and using a little bit of water to "foil" works great

My friend used to put her toner in a spritz bottle and give herself a quick mist after she did her makeup with powdered loose eye shadow and her look would stay all night.  

Originally Posted by Lauren Ball /img/forum/go_quote.gif

The company is an independent one and Fyrinnae often gets very bogged down with orders and actually shuts down their site temporarily. 
I have to completely agree. My order with them came today so I'm happy since I had to replace my Bite Me sample since that was dumped by one of my lovely daughters. -_- /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> At any rate, like Lauren wrote, they get bogged down fast and sometimes Pixie Epoxy is sold out for weeks at a time even if the site is up. Right now Fyrinnae is up and running AND Pixie Epoxy is in stock. Sample size price is $1.50 and after shipping and tax the price is $3.38. Worth a try I would think.

Inglot concealer as base, then apply eyeshadow primer secret potion by urban decay, then do they eyeshadow then spray it with all nighter lasts forever till you take it off. doesn't fade a tad 

Mary Kay® Eye Primer
Extends the wear of eye color and prevents eye color from creasing and smudging.

How It Works

• Oils and moisture from the skin and from certain products can cause eye color to collect in the crease of the eyelid and smudge and fade.
  • Priming the surface of the eyelid creates a base for the eye colors, increasing their opacity and reducing their ability to move to the crease of the lid or smudge.

*edited by mod*

Originally Posted by zadidoll /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Right now Fyrinnae is up and running AND Pixie Epoxy is in stock. 
Tonight it says this:

*** Fyrinnae is currently closed.***

I'll try again tomorrow.... there were a couple of shadows I'd like to see in addition to trying the epoxy. 

hmm, this all news to me I use a primer but had never heard of these epoxies for glitter shadow and I have quite a few myself so I think I will probably try the hard candy one for as it's easy for me to get at a wally world, but if I don't like it and want tot try the pixie epoxy one where would I find it in Canada?? 

Originally Posted by Amber204 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

...but if I don't like it and want tot try the pixie epoxy one where would I find it in Canada?? 
Not sure if they ship to Canada or not. Pixie Epoxy is made and sold exclusively by Fyrinnae. Oh looks like they do.

http://www.fyrinnae.com/index.php?_a=viewDoc&docId=6

Shipping cost for orders under $40 to Canada is from $2.25 to $3.25.
Canadian orders usually arrive within a week after shipment, often 3 or 4 days to BC. The rest of the world varies greatly, but in or near major cities in Europe and east Asia, transit time is usually 5 to 10 days. It can, however, take 2 or 3 weeks.

This gives me an idea.  If you are crafty, you can buy a clear body glitter base at a soap/cosmetic diy shop and use that.  It's similar to the pixie poxy because its designed to hold the glitter to your skin.   My local supplier sells 4oz at $5 as compared to 10ml tube for $7

Actually Fyrinnae must have something seriously wrong because their site is a mess. I can create a wish list, it logs me out every time I look at a different product. It's really annoying especially since I realized I wanted to try the epoxy, it won't let me in.   Grrrrrrr.

Latest posts

Back