How to apply eyeshadow for hooded eyes?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score

Hi,I am new to the world of eyeshadows and I also have been watching tutorials in youtube however I still can't figure it out how to apply eyesahdows. I have took a picture and here's the outcome. I have MAC 239 brush, 217 and 224. I think my problem is with blending, when I blend the harsh lines after applying the lid color, the colors tend to go a bit high which makes it look unnatural. Hope somebody ca help me.

See the first picture, there are harshline but I think I already have blended that and it looks unnatural.

The second picture with mascara and some eyelier, I blended it but the colors also seem to go a bit high before the brow bone.

Apply a medium to dark shadow on the crease and hooded area. Sweep a lighter shadow on the brow bone and on the inside corner of the eye. Draw a very thin line along the top lash line (to keep the eye looking open) and smudge with a cotton swab. Apply black mascara to upper lashes. Line upper lash-line only. Gradually soften shadow as you approach the brow. Highlighting the brow bone and lining the lash base gives hooded eyes an alluring shape.

Apply color with 239, Contour crease and blend with 217 and add highlight with 224. Also make sure you are using a paint or base for your eyeshadow as it will make it stays, looks more colorful and prevents creasing.

Hope this info helps :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Originally Posted by Miriam Gtz /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Apply a medium to dark shadow on the crease and hooded area. Sweep a lighter shadow on the brow bone and on the inside corner of the eye. Draw a very thin line along the top lash line (to keep the eye looking open) and smudge with a cotton swab. Apply black mascara to upper lashes. Line upper lash-line only. Gradually soften shadow as you approach the brow. Highlighting the brow bone and lining the lash base gives hooded eyes an alluring shape.

Apply color with 239, Contour crease and blend with 217 and add highlight with 224. Also make sure you are using a paint or base for your eyeshadow as it will make it stays, looks more colorful and prevents creasing.

Hope this info helps :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />
I am using Urban Decay Primer Potion, when I blend with the 217, the color seems to be a bit high and unnaturally blended, i guess.

For me here are some simple techniques that i learned from my mother when applying makeup to hooded eyes. To help you remember what to do, follow this simple rule: darken what you see and highlight what you don't. I hope that's easy enough for you to remember.

*edited by mod*

Nice Point...

Originally Posted by mavick3nook /img/forum/go_quote.gif

For me here are some simple techniques that i learned from my mother when applying makeup to hooded eyes. To help you remember what to do, follow this simple rule: darken what you see and highlight what you don't. I hope that's easy enough for you to remember.

Quote: Hi,I am new to the world of eyeshadows and I also have been watching tutorials in youtube however I still can't figure it out how to apply eyesahdows. I have took a picture and here's the outcome. I have MAC 239 brush, 217 and 224. I think my problem is with blending, when I blend the harsh lines after applying the lid color, the colors tend to go a bit high which makes it look unnatural. Hope somebody ca help me.

Try to have a look at this... Eyeshadow Application Tips and TricksHow to Apply Eyeshadow and also this 5 Tricks To Finally Get Your Eyeshadow Right

Hope it helps... :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Beauty Benefits Of Love - A Place For Every Beauty, Makeup, Fashion, Astrology and Relationship Matters

Hi, I have hooded eyes too, but not quite like yours.

One thing that helped me was to learn not to put any dark eyeshadow below a certain point- if you look at your lower lashline at the outer V and pretend to extend it out towards your eyebrow, don't put any eyeshadow below that imaginary line.

Also, use matte shades to contour, and you might not want to blend too much because you actually want to create a visible crease.... I'll try to help more later, but I have to go right now.

It's actually looking pretty good so far, I think!

hmm ur eyelids look very similar to mine... this is how i do my make up

I will first apply a base color on my whole eyelid and then i will use a darker color to color my socket to give the illusion of a deeper set eyes. And I will draw my eyeliner thicker than usual to make my eyes bigger plus falsies. Do leave some space for the brow bone highlighter and dont blend the socket color too high. I will advise at least half a small finger space for the brow bone highlighter as a gauge of whether to stop blending the socket color.

I personally feel for hooded lids, having false lashes really enhances the eyes a lot

Back