Skin Care and Sunscreen

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
What are your thoughts on sunscreen. I heard a friend say that if we frequently use SPF 50, it can do more harm than good.

I know application is a must in most cases as UV rays are very harmful.

You should always use sunscreen - consult the Canadian or American Cancer Society if you want all the facts.

An spf of 50 may be a bit high, unless you are going to a beach or will be exposed to a lot of sunlight.

If you find a sunscreen of 30 spf to wear under makeup, you should be fine for average day to day activies.

I think it depends to the ingredients in it.  And i do not prefer to use sunscreen each day.

Maybe ask your friend what they mean and where they got that information from? Are they alleging the sunscreen itself is harmful, that the lack of sunlight is harmful or something else? Also are they referring to chemical sunscreen ingredients or physical sunscreen ingredients or both? There is so much pseudoscience mixed in with real science, it's easier to address specific concerns. Lastly which country are you in and what is your lifestyle? The need for sunscreen varies with the amount and intensity of sunlight you are exposed to.

Originally Posted by Erich /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I think it depends to the ingredients in it.  And i do not prefer to use sunscreen each day.

I agree with Erich.. before going to use that once check the ingredients..

I say sunscreen everyday! Even incidental sun exposure can cause damage! I work with Eucerin so I just started using their Everyday Protection Face lotion SPF 30. I like it a lot. It's light enough to wear under make up, but with SPF 30 so I know my skin is protected. I'm pretty sure that anything over SPF 30, especially for every day use, isn't necessary. I'd look for something with 30 or 15.

Originally Posted by PrettyDC /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I say sunscreen everyday! Even incidental sun exposure can cause damage! I work with Eucerin so I just started using their Everyday Protection Face lotion SPF 30. I like it a lot. It's light enough to wear under make up, but with SPF 30 so I know my skin is protected. I'm pretty sure that anything over SPF 30, especially for every day use, isn't necessary. I'd look for something with 30 or 15.
I agree with everyday use.  I get NO sun other than from getting in an out of cars, and when I've got the top down in the car.  I was getting sun damage on my nose and above my brow.  That sealed it for me; I didn't want sun damage in my 20s so I started everyday use of sunscreen.

I use Shiseido's SPF60 PA+++ Ultimate Sun Protect Lotion and LOVE it.  It's got good UVA and UVB protection and although it leaves a white cast, it works well under my foundation.  I work for a competitor to Shiseido and still love their sunscreens.

I use a 100SPF by Neutrogena. I leave home at 6AM and get home about 5PM...so I'm hoping that by using the higher SPF it lasts throughout the day.

Of course yes, If you don't know how to use an SPF50 then instead of protecting your skin, it may do more harm. You should read instructions on using it and why should you control yourslef on using it on your skin.

Sunscreen is a must, even during the winter. I personally really like Euceirn Everyday Protection Face with SPF 30 (i do some work with their team). It's a great moisturizer that i can find at the drug store, and it goes on really nicely under my makeup. It's not greasy which is a huge plus compared to some other brands out there. 

I never use sunscreen, unless I'll be spending a long time in strong sun (in summer). I've read about studies that have shown that sunscreen contains a load of harmful chemicals that ironically, cause cancer rather than prevent it. So, no thanks.

Back