Please help me look more feminine!

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
***Photos removed upon request of original poster by mod.

I've been experimenting with makeup a lot lately and it's really frustrating! I'm trying to get a natural feminine look but too little makeup I look like a guy and too much I look like a drag queen. I go out a lot in drag so I know I don't always pass as a girl, but I definitely pass better depending how well my makeup's done.

I would really appreciate any constructive or harsh criticism, anything that helps lol. Thanks!

Ok just added the drag-ish look. Any help on the "natural" or "heavy" look would be greatly appreciated :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

You have strong features but they are not overly masculine. Greys, white and black eye make up can be very cold and accentuate the angles of the face. I think you should flick your eyeliner up at the outer corners, making the line thinner and softer. Maybe use warmer and prettier colours (dusty pinks/ smokey purples/ pearly blues) for eyeshadow concentrating on the blending? Perhaps natural looking false eyelashes - length not volume - it's heavy falsies that can look like drag IMO.

This girl is naturally pretty and feminine but actually has a very strong profile, which you don't notice with the pretty eye make up: http://misscaseyb.blogspot.com/2011/01/boysenberry.html

I really think you are doing very well.  The only thing I noticed is the eyeliner application could be a little subtler.  Looks like you're having a little trouble with the wing, as I can well understand because I have the same trouble.  It can be hard to do a wing on a hooded eyelid.  Otherwise, I like the hair and your contouring is fabulous.

Yes I agree with above suggestions. Maybe not so much eyeliner. Eyeliner is okay but try and make it a thinner line, and natural looking longer false eye lashes would really help too. You have great cheekbones, try and accentuate those by contouring. Eyeshadow I would choose more natural nude shades and and work more on blending. These are just suggestions and my opinions....

I really like the way your face/lip make up looks. Your skin looks flawless. The man thing you need to work on improve on is your eye makeup, the way your doing you liner makes your eyes appear almost droopy. That is probably happening because it almost looks like your winging you liner down.

Theres tons of great youtube videos on how to wing liner. Its pretty tricky to master. But once you get the hang of it - Its like second nature :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Heres one as a jumping point:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fdt1cfzmC0g&feature=relmfu

I agree, I just think that the liner needs to be thinner. I would also make sure to blend the contouring. It really looks great though :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Yeah, it's the eyeliner. You wing it down, which causes your eyes to look droopy and tired. I bet it's hard for Asians to do winged eyeliner, but please try to wing it up more next time, kay?

Other than that, I suggest some girly lipgloss and a smile- the makeup itself looks great!

I agree. Follow the lower lash line and wing your eyeliner up. And make it a little thinner. 

Another thing, line the actual lash line, don't try and make ur own line. Other than that, I think everything else is great, and I LOVE ur hair :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Originally Posted by 13Bluestar97 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Yeah, it's the eyeliner. You wing it down, which causes your eyes to look droopy and tired. I bet it's hard for Asians to do winged eyeliner, but please try to wing it up more next time, kay?

Other than that, I suggest some girly lipgloss and a smile- the makeup itself looks great!

Your doing pretty well! Everyone mentioned the eyeliner being too thick and dragging down. I would add that a dark brown instead of black might be worth a try, as well as softer warmer colors on the eye, pink-gold and a warm shimmer just a couple shades darker than your skin would be prettier and more girly. The false lashes (other poster is correct, go for length, not thick) will do more for you than the heavy eyeliner, in daylight you can't really stray too far from your real eye shape because it is very noticeable and throws off your look, it works at night and in club lights though. After you play around post a pic for us! BTW the others are right, you skin is beautiful.

You don't have an overly masculine face to begin with.  You are attempting to re-shape your eyes with liner and shadow but it's coming off looking artificial - mannekin like or plastic.  You should apply blush at the apples of your cheeks and not try to contour a cheek bone with it.   

Originally Posted by jpnz /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I've been experimenting with makeup a lot lately and it's really frustrating! I'm trying to get a natural feminine look but too little makeup I look like a guy and too much I look like a drag queen. I go out a lot in drag so I know I don't always pass as a girl, but I definitely pass better depending how well my makeup's done.

I would really appreciate any constructive or harsh criticism, anything that helps lol. Thanks!

I agree regarding the eye liner. It's drawn out far too low in the Åuter corners and not along your natural lazing line on the to. That doesn't mean the lines have to be razor thin, you can smudge they out and make them look thicker without distorting the shape of your eyes. I would also go with different colors. Warmer earth tones with greens, bronze, gold and coffee or chocolate shades, smokey purples and even smokey pink shades. I'd also make the shape of your brows a bit more 'natural looking, so that they're not just one solid arch. Give them a bit of an angle. I had friends that did drag in Bali and Vancouver and often watched them do their stage makeup. They DID do a massive amount of contouring, which made them look spectacularly beautiful on stage and for photo shoots, although the makeup had to be adjusted for photos. But for outdoor, everyday makeup, if they really wanted to 'pass', they had to knock back most of the contouring. I do think, however, that your contouring isn't too over the top. Check your makeup with a fair sized mirror - big enough to fit your entire face - by the window during the day, as well, and check all your blending, etc. I always do that before I leave the house, anÄ‘ also do my makeup right in front of the window. All that being said, you've got a great face and your skin looks much better than the average woman. Your hair also looks really good. I'm also wondering how you'd look with your hair back in a loose roll or something. I really think it would accentuate the shape of your face even more, which would be a good thing. I don't know where you're from or what your budget I like, but if you live somewhere that isn't so homophobic and f you'd feel safe doing so, I'd suggest going into MAC or somewhere like that and have them do their thing on ÿou. Not sure what they charge now....$50 or $60?? Maybe somebody who works for them can comment on that. Seeing it done and understanding the steps/products/etc to create a more 'feminine' look, as you say but I think you're doing a pretty good job, can make it a lot easier to recreate the look at home. And you don't have to buy the expensive products from them to do so, althoÅ«gh I'd make sure to ask them for samples of the products they use Ån you so you can experiment at home. There are many drug store products that have really improved in quality, especially eye shadows. NYX, Wet n WÄ«ld, Coastal Scents Hot Pots (online) which are 35% off right now so ridiculously cheap - although I'd avoid theÄ«r 88 eye shadow palettes, as well as so many high quality mineral makeup companies online like Meow Cosmetics (eye shadows), Monave (spectacular foundations). And don't forget to check your dollar store, if you have one in your area. Ive been finding a lot of great products there in the past year. Good luck and make sure to post more photos of your makeup experiments so we can see how yÅu're progressing :)

You have beautiful cheekbones and skin.  Your naturally hot it looks like so I don't think you need much make up at all. I don't have much to add but agree with the suggestions to highlight your eyeliner on the top more and the bottom less. Still very pretty.

And if you are going to go that far with your eyeliner, you need to do your waterline.  It looks like an extra piece of flesh which makes it unnerving...

Originally Posted by divadoll /img/forum/go_quote.gif

And if you are going to go that far with your eyeliner, you need to do your waterline.  It looks like an extra piece of flesh which makes it unnerving...

I agree your waterline needs to done too if you like the style you have done.

Asian eyes look great with the top waterline and lashline blended in black flicked down on the part nearest your nose and flicked out at the outer eye like this angelina pic

Originally Posted by jpnz /img/forum/go_quote.gif

You have killer cheek height and should play that up. As others have already mentioned your eyeliner is what's wrong but what no one has mentioned, unless I missed it, are your lashes or lack of thick, long lashes. You need to add fake lashes and play it up big time.

One of my favorite drag queens from RuPaul's Drag Race is Jujubee who is of Thai and Laotian ancestry. OMG, when in drag he looks very much like a she.

Also from RuPaul's Drag Race is Manila Luzon who is of Filipino decent. I know he has a Youtube channel and does lots of videos.

Recently he put out a tutorial of sorts on how he does his makeup.

Play up those eyes! :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I think that you should try a smokey eye, and stay away from blue eyeshadow because it is somewhat of a stereotypical drag queen color.  Definitely get some fake lashes, it will make a huge difference!

Originally Posted by zadidoll /img/forum/go_quote.gif

You have killer cheek height and should play that up. As others have already mentioned your eyeliner is what's wrong but what no one has mentioned, unless I missed it, are your lashes or lack of thick, long lashes. You need to add fake lashes and play it up big time.

One of my favorite drag queens from RuPaul's Drag Race is Jujubee who is of Thai and Laotian ancestry. OMG, when in drag he looks very much like a she.

THAT'S A DUDE?
icon_eek.gif

Latest posts

Back