Best hair straightening products?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all!

I have recently began straightening my hair but my straightener isn't the best quality. (It only cost $16, but you get what you pay for right?!) I would really love some opinions on the best straighteners you have come across. I am on a budget so I am hoping for one that doesn't cost much more than $50. I would also love some recommendations on good heat protectant sprays because I know that using hot tools on your hair daily dries it out and can cause split ends.

I was thinking of buying this heat protectant:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000KQ74AI/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?ie=UTF8&m=A2VP262BAO1RIU

This is also the straightener I am thinking about purchasing because it is in my budget and got good reviews:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002LIXTFC/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER

If you have any insight on either of these products that would be great!

The last thing I had questions on is the difference between cap highlights and foil highlights. I have medium toned dirty blond hair, and I was going to liven it up a bit with some lighter blond highlights. I have had foil highlights done before and I was pretty satisfied with the results. I am just wondering what your opinion was on which one is better. Thanks much and I look forward to hearing from you guys! :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Personally the best flat iron I've ever used is Rusk. My hairdresser swears by it too...he think it's better than the Chi.

Its kinda pricey....but totally worth it.

I used my cousin's Remington flat iron already and didnt like it too much....you see my hair is kinda thick and wavy. I'm not sure which one of the Remington's she has though.

I'm not sure about the hair protectant either. I don't use any on my hair...should probably start using it though.

And about the highlights...sorry but I can't help you there...I have no idea!

Believe it or not, I have tried all kinds of straighting irons and my all time favorite is REVLON, the BLACK one with the gold plates!! Its like $20 at the most and it turns my frizzy wavey hair into so smooth, silky chinese girl like hair!! I will NEVER buy an expensive one again!! :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Heat protectant sprays? I'd recommend Pantene Anti-Thermal Heat Protection Spray. It feels odd at first but it works real well

I have pretty straight hair, but this gets it dead straight and keeps it that way without going wavy by the end of the night: CHI Silk Infusion for heat protection Nexxus Sleek Memory Straightening Spray spritzed liberally, then blown dry with the Aveda paddle brush

I have been using Remington's wet to straight flat iron and it's always done the job for me. I have naturally curly/unruly hair and this straightener is the best in my opinion. It takes about 30 seconds to a minute to heat up and it works best on damp hair. I use heat protectant cream by garnier; anti humidity smoothing milk and it works great. Also I use green tea cream that's a thicker consistancy in my hair, but that's because of my hair type. The garnier cream works great for when you're straightening your hair.

You said you are on a budget so Im guessing a Chi is out of the question?  But if you do have the money, I recommend it.  I have had mine for almost 6 years now and it is still going strong!  For heat protectant, I have tried the CHI Silk Infusion but really hated it.  What I use is the Biosilk Silk Therapy.  It is amazing for me.

I use Tresemme's heat protectant spray. It smells great, it's under 4 bucks, and although it's not geared as to straightened your hair it really does help in doing so and gives your hair a nice sheen without feeling greasy or thick.

Definatly try Got-2-B's straightening protectant. I use that all the time, and it is awesome! It was only like $5, but I have found it really works nice.

It has like a balm in it to help staighten your hair while you use your iron.

I used to have a CHI Iron, but I've been happier with my GHD.  

For heat protectant, I like Nexxus Heat Protexx.  I wash at night, put a tiny dot of 50/50 mix of CHI Silk Infusion and Avon Lotus Shield in and run it through, and let it air dry at night with the ceiling fan on full.  Then the heat protectant in the morning, iron and go!

You should try the one I use , it's the Karmin G3 Salon Pro, it's amazing, it has tourmaline ceramic plates that cause less damage, heats up to 460F for all hair textures, and the best of all is that keeps my hair soft, shiny, frizz less and super straight, I luv it !! 
If you are interested I bought it online at {commercial link deleted} .

Hope this helps and good luck. 
icon_biggrin.gif

I've tried different brands of products and the best hair straightener for me is [SIZE=9pt]the Karmin G3 Salon Pro,  it works pretty good, removes static and leaves my hair silky and shiny :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />[/SIZE]

Well it does sound like some professional advice is what you need. Hair tools are truly an investment for the care of your hair. Having said that , you do get what you pay for. I'd put these 2 items on your Christmas list and start saving up. They are ridiculously expensive but you get insane results. Remember, you can invest in a tool that is expensive up front but will last you several thousand hours and years , which does pay off in the long run. FHI makes incredible flat irons. The Runway iron will cost you a hefty $450 but the result you get is truly salon results, especially when used with Sedu Thermal smoothing fluid. It's what I use in the salon and recommend to my clients. You should get about 10,000 hours of use and it's coated with 6 layers of pure ceramic, not 2 like most irons. This does improve the straightening power and duration of the blow out. Sedu sells incredible smoothing fluids because they contain argon oil, no it won't make your hair oily and they will protect from the heat. In the event you win the lottery ..... Your hair will ALWAYS look professional if you combine the 2 above with Sedu's Prive Icon Dryer ( no I have no financial or advertising interest in Sedu ). At a whooping $700 you will receive a blow out like no other . All of my stylist use it and it is the best dryer on the market today. We previously used the T3 , until this piece of magic arrived. Do a bit of research on it and you will see why. With a 6 year money back guarantee and 6 year warranty, you can't go wrong. You will probably get about 15,000 hours of blow versus the 2,000 hrs for other expensive dryers. Like I said .... Christmas list! We've actually had clients reduce their appointments due to this dryer ( not so smart financially on our part ) but we do want our clients to be happy and we have more than enough. Our stylist book out 3-4 months for appointments. So there you have the truth on how to achieve a blow out and straightening that would run you about $150.00 a pop in our salon. I would shy away from Remington unless you absolutely can't afford anything else. There are many other low end companies that make better products. I realize you don't have access to beauty suppliers but check out Ulta , they often run sales on good, yet not too expensive products. And, if all else fails ....... Give me a shout. I have several high end flat irons that are now sitting in a box, in a closet, thanks to the FHI Runway iron. Send me a message, I'm happy to help another gal out. No, I won't charge you for it. You can pay for the shipping through PayPal and I'll drop you a $200 iron in the mail. No, I'm not joking. NOW .... Having said that, please everyone, don't hit me up. This offer is just for her since I see a cry for help here. I'm paying it forward, as Oprah would say. Not to mention Hair is my passion! Good luck from NYCstylist! You should be able to obtain my email address from my profile. I don't typically blog so shoot me an email.

hey thanks for sharing these products even I was looking for this type of Straightener

My holy grail hair straightener is the Sedu Revolution Flat Iron, I've had it for almost 3 years and I can't live without it. You can find it on Folica.com or Ulta. It doesn't damage my hair like over flat irons and keeps my hair really straight. For heat protectants, I love Tresemme Heat Tamer spray. Kiehl's Heat Protective Silk-Straightening and Kerastase Elixir Ultime are great too!

I use a PYT (Pretty Young Thing) straightener. They're kind of expensive though. $250 is the full price, but since they're mostly found at mall kiosks you can always bargain with the sales rep at the kiosk. I got mine on sale about a year ago for $150 around Christmas time. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> It's amazing. Before I was using a really cheap straightener and my hair was SO dry and damaged. Since I made the switch my hair has had much less split ends and actually feels silky after I straighten it. Still searching for the right heat protectant though. 

GHD straighteners are good for the price. I just found my Bellezza flat iron on Groupon for $30! So checking out Groupon is a really good idea! 

Latest posts

Back