Can Someone Explain MAC Paint Pots to Me?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I use UDPP for a primer. At MAC, the SA gave me a sample of Painterly Paint Pot which I had thought was MAC's eye primer b/c it is flesh colored. Then I discovered the paint pots come in different colors just like eyeshadows. Do they all work like primers? I've also heard about using a dark colored primer underneath a dark eyeshadow. I have trouble getting very dark shadows on the lid to not be patchy when I'm doing a very smokey eye even when I use UDPP. Do the dark paint pot help with this?

How do the colors of the paint pots effect different colors of eyeshadows?

Thanks

I've been curious about this product as well.  They look really interesting to me but haven't really seen any photos of how people actually used them.

i'm not sure about the PP's as i don't own any/never tried them but for dark eyeshadow i usually just use dark gel liner as a base. it works pretty well! :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

They can make some sheerer colours more intense (like the Shadesticks or Greasepaint Sticks), make it easier for pigment/glitter to stick, or help with lid concealing if one's lids have a lot of visible veins. I have Bare Study, finished up Painterly, and ended up repurchasing the Stila Prime Pot in Taffy instead of replacing it. I still find they crease, so I use an eye primer (NARS) underneath.

MAC Paint Pots are one of my favourite things. They are basically a cream eyeshadow that can be used as a base, much like Urban Decay Primer Potion or on their own as a cream eyeshadow. Ones like Painterly/Soft Ochre and other skin coloured ones you can use underneath your eyeshadow like UDPP to help prevent creasing though if you have oily eyelids these might not work that well for you and I would recommend still using a UDPP/Too Faced Shadow Insurance etc underneath.

Coloured Paint Pots can be used on their own or you can use them underneath your eyeshadows again to help enhance the colour. For example Constructivist Paint Pot which is a bronzy brown shade could be used to help bring out an eyeshadow like Mulch for example and colours like that.

Some of my favourite Paint Pots would be Painterly, Genuine Treasure, Bare Study, Idylic and Soft Ochre.

I hope this helps explain it :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Back