Anyone in or near Alberta, Canada?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi girls,

I don't know if we have any here from that part of Canada but I thought I would just give it a shot and ask.

I am going on vacation to Edmonton on Christmas week and I'm looking for advice on how to dress during that time! I'm not sure what the weather is like during that time of the year usually. Is the weather THAT cold? I live in Nebraska here in the USA and I am used to some of the snow. ANY type of advice is appreciated.  I have no idea what to expect, weather, clothes, customs, anything...lol

Thank you in advance

XOXO

Lidia
heart.gif

I don't live in the area and I can't think of anyone who does, but you can always go to weather.com and check out the weather for canada :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I use to live just north of Calgary - a few hours from Edmonton.

Edmonton can get really cold and snowy, starting in early December.

Take Hezzie's advice and check out the weather network a week before you go.

They offer a 14 day trend that will give you some indication of what to bring/wear.

I would definately bring a winter coat, scarf, gloves/mitts, and boots even if the weather predicts to be warm.

http://www.theweathernetwork.com/sitesearch/ 

In case you hadn't heard, the West Edmonton Mall is a great place to shop and has many interesting things to see and do.

http://www.wem.ca/#

As far as customs go, just come and be yourself - you'll have a great time!

Thank you!!!

I was already thinking I should check the weather but I thought I would check with you guys and see if you throw some other tips. It'll be my first time going to Canada and yes!! I'll be going to Edmonton Mall.

Would I be able to see Northern Lights???? I've heard they are beaaautiful!

I don't think you can see it from Edmonton, but you can do trips to the Yukon or Alaska! fly to Whitehorse, Yukon from Edmonton.

I've always wanted to fly to Yukon to see it...

http://travelyukon.com/things-do/outdoor-activities/aurora-borealis

Originally Posted by bluebird26 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Thank you!!!

I was already thinking I should check the weather but I thought I would check with you guys and see if you throw some other tips. It'll be my first time going to Canada and yes!! I'll be going to Edmonton Mall.

Would I be able to see Northern Lights???? I've heard they are beaaautiful!

Oh no!! I heard some people have seen it during the Winter...I'll keep my fingers crossed! Are you from that part of Canada?

Originally Posted by musingmuse /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I don't think you can see it from Edmonton, but you can do trips to the Yukon or Alaska! fly to Whitehorse, Yukon from Edmonton.

I've always wanted to fly to Yukon to see it...

http://travelyukon.com/things-do/outdoor-activities/aurora-borealis

Web search had come up with Elk Island National Park,  located about 45 minutes east of Edmonton on highway 16.

It has been designated a dark sky preserve, meaning that measures have been taken to minimize the light pollution within the park. It would be the best location near Edmonton to try and catch the northen lights (although, as previous posters have said they are highly unpredictable).

Muse and I are from Vancouver.  Minimal snow, lots of rain but less rain than Seattle.  Moderate temperatures. 

I'm from Toronto and I live in London. My Dad lives further up north just south of North Bay and almost right in Huntsville and I've seen the Northern lights there. The furthest out west I have been is Sask where the majority of my family lives and it gets damned cold and snow and frosty. Beautiful but very very cold. It gets really cold in London too cause I am in a snow belt so we get something similar. You may be able to see Northern Lights but no guarantees on that. Just bring warm clothes and warm boots. Hey if you get stuck and you aren't warm enough you can always go to the West Edmonton Mall as was suggested. No matter what the weather forecasters are saying that this is going to be a very cold winter, one of the coldest on record so be prepared 
11dh.gif
 hope that helps!

holy cow!! I'm glad I still have time to go shopping for a good winter jacket and boots, sniff

Originally Posted by Slinkycats /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I'm from Toronto and I live in London. My Dad lives further up north just south of North Bay and almost right in Huntsville and I've seen the Northern lights there. The furthest out west I have been is Sask where the majority of my family lives and it gets damned cold and snow and frosty. Beautiful but very very cold. It gets really cold in London too cause I am in a snow belt so we get something similar. You may be able to see Northern Lights but no guarantees on that. Just bring warm clothes and warm boots. Hey if you get stuck and you aren't warm enough you can always go to the West Edmonton Mall as was suggested. No matter what the weather forecasters are saying that this is going to be a very cold winter, one of the coldest on record so be prepared 
11dh.gif
 hope that helps!

Oh Vancouver, I want to go there sometime too :) probably not in this trip but next year

I'm writing down all the tips from you and everybody here, it surely helps!!

Originally Posted by divadoll /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Web search had come up with Elk Island National Park,  located about 45 minutes east of Edmonton on highway 16.

It has been designated a dark sky preserve, meaning that measures have been taken to minimize the light pollution within the park. It would be the best location near Edmonton to try and catch the northen lights (although, as previous posters have said they are highly unpredictable).

Muse and I are from Vancouver.  Minimal snow, lots of rain but less rain than Seattle.  Moderate temperatures. 

I want to go to Vancouver so badly! Maybe next year. I'm supposed to be going to WA with my niece so it would be a good diversion. Anyway, I hear great things about poutine, its supposed to be really yummy. If you try it let me know!

no but it looks yummy lol and I see it on the travel channel and I want to eat the tv lol

Originally Posted by Slinkycats /img/forum/go_quote.gif

@hezzie lol you have never tried poutine?

@hezzie, its really easy to make! Fries, gravy and cheese curds (though you can use shredded cheese in place of the cheese curds) its addictive for sure! You should try to make it at home! I think the secret is beef gravy, and thick cut fries and most use a white cheese but cheddar or mozzarella and cheddar are really yummy! 
chef_smiley.gif

I wouldnt even know where to get curd but yummy....I'll be making this on one of my splurge days. Gravy? Potatoes? cheese? cant beat that! *drool*

Oh, and I saw some web site with like different ways to make it and toppings, umm yah, I'ma be making this SOON! hehe

Basic recipe baked/fried fries really hot, put on the cheese (curds or shredded, broken apart chunks of cheese), and then pour on the gravy! Mmmmm mmmmm GGOOOOOOD!!!!!!!!!!

Seriously everything else on a poutine is good but not necessary.

You can sub cheese curd with FRESH mozarella, not aged.  Its almost identical.  It is a fresh curd cheese.  Cook the fries, make the grave, cut the cheese into cubes, add the cold cheese to the fries and pour on the gravy!!  Voila! poutine!  You can get fresh mozzarella almost anywhere.

OK. Stupid question, what kind of gravy? Beef? Chicken? turkey? Or does it not matter??

I think it's chicken gravy???  My suggestion...go to KFC, buy a box of fries and med. gravy and slice some fresh mozzarella :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />  They sell poutine at kfc here.

They sell poutine everywhere here! LOL Even swiss chalet carries it! Actually across Canada you can order it at McDonalds, KFC, A&W and Burger King, as well as any "chip truck" or greasy spoon type establishment.

Any fries will do, same goes for cheese, I like white cheddar cheese shredded or brick mozzerella cheese shredded, topped with hot gravy. Chicken or Beef. Both are served depending on the restaurant you order it from. I know a few people who like it topped with things like bacon bits as well.

Back in highschool, I had this daily!!! Its sooooo good!

Latest posts

Back