Have you ever had breathing problems due to some skin care product?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
If yes, what symptoms did you get?  Did you see a doctor or just stopped using it? Has it happened again when using another product? Do you know which ingredient caused it? Let's talk about this. I think it can help many women out there who love cosmetics but are having problems when using them......

Yes, it has. I think I might be allergic to fragrances and some chemical found in cosmetics but also detergents and perfumes. I have always been very bad with perfumes since I was a child. Strong ones would make me feel sick with a headache and nausea However, since one year ago I started using daily a skincare routine by Clinique I started getting strange symptoms which affected my breathing including chest tightness, feeling a sort of lump in my throat, difficulty swallowing, shortness of breath and so on. I didn't know at that time the cause might be my new skincare. So I started thinking it was food since it always happened after eating. So I switched to gluten free and dairy milk and started avoiding lots of foods especially spicy and salty ones. I have completely cut chocolate, nuts and topical fruit from my life. Since I kept having the same symptoms every now and then, I realized the problem must be someone else. I then realized it is something related to cosmetics because I had the same symptoms after wearing my Body Shop moisturizing foundation.Moreover, I stopped using my Clinique routine and the symptoms have calmed. However, I get them sometimes when  using strong detergents. Unfortunately I cannot wear perfumes and I am limiting the skincare products to non scented ones and using very few makeup products.

So I was hoping to hear whether someone else had the same problem.

I am allergic to fragrances and I've actually had asthma attacks from ppl wearing strong perfumes in an enclosed space.

My Mom and I have always been sensitive to fragrances and such, but not enough to be hospitalized or anything. I have asthma but my Mom is more sensitive than I am; most strong fragrances will make her feel extremely nauseated and she'll get headaches as well. Some fragrances just make me feel a bit ill, especially if I'm already sick or fatigued to begin with. :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Like I said though, it's really not severe enough to require any kind of action, we just try to avoid products that are strongly scented.

You might have some allergies, or rhenitis, or maybe some respiratory problems? Since such fragrances itches you expecially on strong odors, it maybe that you really have some lung problems. Better consult the doctor about it to make sure.

Back