RUDE Employees at MAC

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Personally, I haven't had very good experiences with the employees at my local MAC counter.  Has anyone else found that the employees there tend to be rude and stuck-up?  Share your experiences below! I'd love to hear if anyone else has had a similar experience.

I've only been to MAC 1 time (the other time was at IMATS so I don't count it lol).  It wasn't even a MAC store it was the MAC section in Macy's.  I was the only person looking at their stuff and was completely ignored

There are 2 MAC stores in one of the malls nearby.  1 inside a department store - The Bay and the other is an actual store.  I have only been to Mac 4X.  I prefer the one inside the Bay, the people are nicer.  The cs in the MAC store are terrible, snobby, ugly.  I don't think anyone pointed out that its a store and they have to sell stuff so they continue to get paid.  I had to wait 5 minutes while I followed a cs around just to be acknowledged!  I don't like MAC that much to have to take that bs. 

I had a (short) phase where I was all about MAC.  For the most part I bought it online.  At my few visits to MAC retail stores and counters I didn't feel comfortable, and didn't get help until I initiated it and it was minimal help I got.  I'm not the classiest looking or dressing person and I don't think they wanted to deal with me. 

It was a nice change when I became hooked on Sugarpill and although it was online had the actual company owner send me nice emails about blogs I'd written and comment on things I'd said on FB. I'm starting to really appreciate the personal service of independents.

I've never really gotten terrible service at the MAC counters in the Bay (the one at Bloor & Yonge in the subway entrance is my favourite counter, while the PRO on Queen is my favourite freestanding), but I find the attitude in the MAC on Bloor W. (technically, Yorkville location) can be a bit 'cooler.' It's very rare I hit up a free-standing; I much prefer the Bay counters as I get HBC points. Honestly, I think some customers expect way too much - if you're going in during peak shopping hours on a Friday or Saturday, expecting super-attentive, perky service from a caffeinated MA is a bit much.

I had a (short) phase where I was all about MAC.  For the most part I bought it online.  At my few visits to MAC retail stores and counters I didn't feel comfortable, and didn't get help until I initiated it and it was minimal help I got.  I'm not the classiest looking or dressing person and I don't think they wanted to deal with me.  It was a nice change when I became hooked on Sugarpill and although it was online had the actual company owner send me nice emails about blogs I'd written and comment on things I'd said on FB. I'm starting to really appreciate the personal service of independents.
Sugarpill is a lot smaller of a company still trying to make a name for themselves. I doubt if they get as big as MAC, the very attentive, personal touches will continue.

M•A•C employees do tend to be rude. At our local store there were two people there that were nice but only because over the years we got to know them from going in and looking around. They quit however to do independent work and their replacements are rude and stuck up.

I went to purchase a lipstick at MAC a number of years ago. Their latest campaign featured Pamela Anderson.

Well, I thought Pammy's lips looked great and I wanted the same colour on my lips.

I asked the sales girl what lipstick was used on Pam's lips.

She asked the other sales girl/make up artist what lipstick colour was used - she didn't know.

And then she said she didn't know either.

But she speculated that if I bought two similar coloured lipsticks and mixed them, I'd probably get the look I wanted.

I was shocked that the sales girls/make up artists are not made aware of what products are used on MAC's latest campaigns.

I declined the offer to by two lipsticks and found something I liked in Revlon's selection.

I have never had any problems at the MAC store I shop at, I think the counters in the department stores a tad less attentive.

I have found that Sephora is hard to get someone to help you in, although it is only because they are understaffed and very buys most of the time.

MAC in Canada can suck in a big way. I haven't been to any of their locations, freestanding or dept store, for a long time. Their prodocts are no longer worth raving about, so why would I bother spending my money there just to be treated like a pee-on? Some Sephora's here also bite the big one, but others are amazing. Love the Sephora in Pacific Center. I can spend hours in there shopping and loading up on free samples and every single one of them will gladly help me. They've never been snotty with me and have even gone so far as to compliment my eye shadow, etc LOL At least they are nice to customers, even if they are buttering them up :) They even fulfilled my free birthday gift voucher when I brought it in a couple of months late when I explained to them I had been sick. MAC needs to step things up in a big way or they're gonna be left in the dust of their competitors.

Well, not exactly rude in my experience but I've always found MAC SA's to be rather like snobby ice queens that make you feel as if you're wasting their time & ignore you as much as possible, but I hate it when SA's bug me so it suits me just fine.

You don't think that people that ignore you and act like snobby ice queens as being rude? Their job title is Sales Associates - sales is the first word. I hate it when the bug me too but at least I know that they are just doing their job.  Snobbery and resentment that you are wasting your time is definitely not a good sales strategy.  Noone in business school is going to teach this as a good model for marketing. 

Originally Posted by KeLLsTar /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Well, not exactly rude in my experience but I've always found MAC SA's to be rather like snobby ice queens that make you feel as if you're wasting their time & ignore you as much as possible, but I hate it when SA's bug me so it suits me just fine.

I've only been in a Sephora 3 or 4 times because there is not one all that close to me, but I've never been in one without a sales associate offering me help.

Yep, the ones I have encountered with their big heads because they work at MAC *gasp*

I have not had very good experiences AT ALL!! The MAC counter was bad... I was 100% ignored and got no help what so ever. Eventually, I just left. So, I tried my local MAC store instead. There was better and I got the help I needed. I don't know if its just by me, but it could just be the stores in general. 

At the counter: I was at the counter and was the only shopper there. I had to ASK for assistance. I needed help color matching and a lady helped me. She TRIED to match me and it was like 3 shades to dark. I asked her to help and she COMPLETELY blew me off. She at least helped. We walked over to the counter with the foundation and she looked at my skin, looked at the foundation, picked one up, handed it to me, and then walked away! I was in shock... I actually picked up the swatches myself and found my own color. She didn't even use the swatches. (Yeah. That's right. The swatches were sitting right there.) I was soooooo mad... I just put the products down on the counter, said nothing, and walked away. So I tried my local MAC store and the experiences were WAYYY better! I was satisfied there and will NEVER go back to the counter ever again!!:)

Thanks,​
Mia xoxo​

I know exactly what you mean...the girls have an attitude, and it's annoying.

Originally Posted by divadoll /img/forum/go_quote.gif

There are 2 MAC stores in one of the malls nearby.  1 inside a department store - The Bay and the other is an actual store.  I have only been to Mac 4X.  I prefer the one inside the Bay, the people are nicer.  The cs in the MAC store are terrible, snobby, ugly.  I don't think anyone pointed out that its a store and they have to sell stuff so they continue to get paid.  I had to wait 5 minutes while I followed a cs around just to be acknowledged!  I don't like MAC that much to have to take that bs. 

Exactly that!

I never understood what the big deal is...about working at MAC.

Originally Posted by Johnnie /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Yep, the ones I have encountered with their big heads because they work at MAC *gasp*

Do they get paid beaucoup $$$$ or something?  They were in a MALL for goodness sake! Probably just barely over minimum wage.  Where's the prestige in that??

Originally Posted by musingmuse /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Exactly that!

I never understood what the big deal is...about working at MAC.

Me and my mom went to MAC ince a few years ago (for my mom not me) and the saleswomen were like stalking us bcs they thought I'd mess up the shelves or something. It felt like we were being distrusted. At the time I didn't even like makeup and my mom wouldn;t let me touch it so it was kind of a frustrating feeling.

Back