Do You Have a Signature Scent?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My grandmother passed away about a year ago, but it's been years since she was the person I remember--with Alzheimer's, it took ten long years for her to finally be at peace. As I was going through her things recently, I found old vial of her perfume. The smell instantly flooded me with brief moments, intimate details when I was young--that same smell when I hugged her, sat in her lap, played card games with her on her bed, etc.

Our memories are more than just visual--they're olfactory. And our olfactory memories are surprisingly strong. Ten years made my memories dimmer, but the smell of her perfume was uniquely hers. I want to have a signature perfume--not just a handful of perfumes I use whenever I feel like it, but a single scent that--in a sense--becomes part of who I am. I don't have one, and I barely even wear perfume, but that moment inspired me to look for one.

So.. Do any of you have a signature scent? Just one perfume you use more than any other--something that, if anyone who knew you smelled it, they'd think of you?

Some people just have one scent.... something they love and won't use anything else. My mom was like that for many years before she got very old. She was a Chanel lady for a very long time, then when "Charlie" perfume was big in the 70's-80's, she was into that. Then she was a big fan of anything musk.Didn't matter though... whatever was her scent at the time, she wore it every day.

Me?  Just the opposite. I wear something different EVERY day. I probably have, just guessing, about 15+ different scents in my collection depending on my mood, outfit, daily scenario. For example, if I am going out with the girls, wearing my funky animal print shoes, jazzy top, skinny jeans.... I might wear "Viva la Juicy" by Juicy Couture. That's my "young" scent.  If I'm happy, with a daily agenda of running errands in the sun, pretty top.... I might wear pureDKNY or Be Delicious by DKNY. If I have a hot, sexy date with my hubby at a jazzy restaurant, I might wear Stella by Stella McCartney or Very Hollywood by Michael Korrs

Read my blog posts where I talk more about my fragrance choices:

https://www.makeuptalk.com/beautyblog/when-perfumes-are-pretty/

and

https://www.makeuptalk.com/beautyblog/a-scent-for-all-reasons/

I have a scented oil I wear a lot that people are starting to recognize as me.  I've been wearing it for about a year. Not sure I could commit to a single scent forever, but it's the longest I've ever worn a scent as I am very picky with smells and most perfumes give me headaches.  I get what your saying about your grandma.  Mine wore Passion and the smell still makes me think of her.  I was 13 when she died, now I'm 33.

My grandma always wears Chanel No5 and that is the smell I recognized her with. I wanted to wear No 5 also but since she wore it, I can't wear it. I love Chanel Chance and No 19. Those are my signature scents.

No I have not any signatured scent,but I use a new brand of perfume  named Marygreenwell which is very famous and I really like its smell,it gives a plesant smell of joy......

Marygreenwell Plum Perfume

I don't. I love buying perfumes and I love to wear something different every day of the week. If I buy a new perfume and really like it, I'll wear it for a few days in a row, but so far I haven't come accross a perfume I loved so much that I'd want to wear it more than any other perfume I own. I might be a bit picky, but nothing I can do about it :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />)

I wear different scents every day. I can't see myself just sticking to one perfume for the rest of my life.

Its funny how different people use the same perfume and still have different smells.

My favorite are Gucci - Flora. I also spray Bath an body works Japanese cherry blossom on top, and the combination is heaven! i get asked about it every time.

my other favorite and its been my smell for years is DKNY Be Delicious

I love trying different perfumes! I've found that I always end up going back to Juicy Couture Viva La Juicy or one of the Vera Wang perfumes (Princess or Lovestruck).

I have a mix - people recognize my signature scent as "vanilla" basically - as I've worn a combination of Lavanila Pure Vanilla, all of the various Bath & Body Works vanillas, and just about any other decent vanilla scent I can get my hands on since I was a kid. I usually have a combination of vanillas on, lol.

But I also have a variety of other things (love all the Harvey Prince scents, and a few others like Be Delicious) and I do wear one of those once or twice a week just for variety. My body chemistry seems best suited for "warm" kinds of scents, so as much as I love my fruity ones, I don't wear them as often as the vanillas and kind of spicy ones.

If I had to choose just one scent to be my signature scent forever, it'd be Lavanila Pure Vanilla, paired with Vanilla Bean Noel lotion. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

You sound like me yousoldtheworld. I love vanilla everything. I got a sample of Lavanila Vanilla Coconut and it is pretty nice. I love the BBW Warm Vanilla Sugar scents but my absolute hands down favorite is Sarong by Theme Fragrance. I always want to like other perfumes but find myself thinking that they smell ok but not as good as my Sarong. It is a coconut vanilla with a touch of floral scents and it is amazing!

Originally Posted by Dalylah /img/forum/go_quote.gif

You sound like me yousoldtheworld. I love vanilla everything. I got a sample of Lavanila Vanilla Coconut and it is pretty nice. I love the BBW Warm Vanilla Sugar scents but my absolute hands down favorite is Sarong by Theme Fragrance. I always want to like other perfumes but find myself thinking that they smell ok but not as good as my Sarong. It is a coconut vanilla with a touch of floral scents and it is amazing!
I have five of the different Lavanila scents, LOL. I like the Vanilla Coconut one, but the Pure Vanilla and Grapefruit Vanilla ones are my favorite. The Lavender Vanilla one is great for bedtime. I like Warm Vanilla Sugar, but I like some of BBW's seasonal vanillas better. I haven't tried Sarong, I will have to check it out! I'm always looking for new vanilla-y scents to add to my arsenal! :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I really don't have any signature scents but the two that I stick to the most and carry in my purse are Marc Jacob's Daisy on warmer hot days and Viktor and Rolf Flowerbomb on cooler days or special occasions. They both last all day and I recieve tons of compliments when I wear them. I can't wait to try the new Marc Jacob's Dots one though, might find a new scent there.  For very nice outings I prefer Narciso Rodriguez for her EDP, it's too much for all the time but I love it. 

I used to have a signature scent -- Pleasures by Estee Lauder -- and people recognized it as mine, one of my exes even called me suddenly to tell me he mistook someone for me just because she had the same smell. I've been using this perfume since I was 14, and now I don't think I like it anymore, so I'm looking for a new one. Right now I wear L'Imperatrice by D&G and get a lot of compliments, but I received a sample of Amour Liquide by Memoire Liquide in my NB Test Tube and literally fell in love with the smell. It's very subtle and smells like vanilla and tonka, and I think I might use it for a long time and not get bored/tired of it. I love vanilla scents so much I seriously considered investing in Vanille Galante by Hermes (that's a $300 bottle of perfume we're talking about).

I wouldn't say I have one signature scent right now, although in the past I have. Now I'd say I have a signature scent "type". In the past, I wore BCBGirls Metro all the time, and it was right around the time I started dating my ex and he always loved the smell of that perfume and recognized it on me. Later, I wore the Body Shop's vanilla oil almost exclusively.

I've always loved vanilla type scents since then, so now my typical scent is usually vanilla based and kind of gourmand. I know a lot of people feel that scents like that (sweet smelling, almost candy-like scents like Aquolina Pink Sugar and LaVanila Vanilla Grapefruit) seem adolescent or cloying, but I love them. I think they smell amazing and they suit me very well. It seems like a lot of you girls know what I'm talking about too!

Back