Tips for an eyeliner newbie?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've always wanted to wear eyeliner, but alas, I'm terrible when it comes to actually apply the liner evenly, yet alone a straight line. Do you have any tutorial, tips, etc that a newbie like myself could follow or try to improve my method of applying eyeliner, and a quick question - what color should someone with hazel eyes use? Brown? or black? Do I apply a good amount? or just a line D:?

I would start with the waterline. That's the easiest way to do it. from there, it's a good idea to apply some eyeliner along the outer half of your lower and upper lids, then smudge it in for smoked out look.

I would try a soft eyeliner pencil, i dont know what its really called but it reminds me of a crayon. Then work your way up to a regular kohl pencil to liquid to gel liner. Its hard to explain how to apply a liner, my advice would be to look at youtube so you can get a better understanding. It  just takes practice, practice, and more practice.

As for what color you should use black is classic and hard and brown is a soft colour, but its up to you what you want to use. Have fun with it!

One tip I've read is to apply eyeliner (pencil) in dashes, it's easier than doing a continuous straight line, applying right along the lashline.  I line upper and lower, starting in the middle of the lower lashline and going out to the edge, then from the middle to the inner corner, going back & forth a few times to intensify color or to make a thicker line, depending on the look I want. I do both lower lines, then start in the center of the upper lashine and go out to the outer edge, connecting with the lower line, then on the upper lashline I go from inner corner to the middle, I find it easier than going from the middle to the inner corner on the upper lid.

Whenever you have time sit in front of a mirror and practice, practice, practice.  If it's bad, just wash it off and start over. ;) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

As for what color to use, and thick or thin line, that's really a matter of preference.  Brown is a more forgiving color than black, so it's a little easier to use, and might be a good place to start.

If you're using a pencil eyeliner, be sure to sharpen it before each use so you don't get a line that's too thick. If you're using a liquid or gel liner, I'd say practice makes perfect!

You could always start with crayons as I feel they're the easiest to use for newbies like you. I also got started with crayons myself. Otherwise, if you'd like to try something closer to a liquid liner, try one with a felt tip, like a marker. Those are great too!

For hazel eyes like yours, I'd recommend something dark brown. You can switch to black once you're more confident of lining your eyes and want to go for a more intense look.

xoxo,

Roxanne

NEVER TRY TO MAKE A STRAIGHT LINE!!!!  You will drive yourself crazy trying to get it perfect.  Instead, use small strokes with a pencil until you get the desired effect.

I don't like pencil ones...I find them hard to use and to get a straight line. Use one that's softer or even gel and you'll be able to master the technique faster. I like Cover Girl's perfect point one if you want to try a drugstore brand and I reallly am loving Stila's smudge stick since I ordered it off www.ebeauty.ca a couple months ago.

Originally Posted by perfectlyem /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I don't like pencil ones...I find them hard to use and to get a straight line. Use one that's softer or even gel and you'll be able to master the technique faster. I like Cover Girl's perfect point one if you want to try a drugstore brand and I reallly am loving Stila's smudge stick since I ordered it off www.ebeauty.ca a couple months ago.

You're right, but when you are first trying to learn I think a pencil would provide more control.  I'm a fan of liquid, but I've had a lot of practice:) LOL

It helps if you put your finger next to the outer corner of your eye and pull the lid taught so that your drawing on a smoother, straighter surface.

Personally I think the gel liners are easiest to use, they come off easier if you make mistakes and don't get everywhere like liquid. This ^^ technique works with pencils and liquid too though. Good luck!

I have hazel and use black for the most part, but I think good dark purple liners look good with hazel eyes too.

I'd recommended using a dark eyeshadow of your choice with an angled brush. This way, you can get the hang of using a brush and if it doesn't look perfect, you can always smoke it out a little with a qtip or smudging brush. From there, as you get better at it you can wet your brush make a "cakeliner" out of your eyeshadow to practice further. Since you're just starting off, it'll help you ease into eyeliner so it doesn't look very dramatic at first and from there you can decide how heavily you want it.

Personally, my eyes are so oily no pencil has ever lasted on me so I always stick to wet eyeshadow or gel/cream liners. There are tons of eyeshadows that can be used wet/dry so I would look for those.

Back