How do you sell something on ebay?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have a ton of stuff I need to sell on ebay but have no idea where to start. Can someone explain the process to me step by step. How the paypal works, is it better to sell or auction, how do you charge for shipping? I have mostly clothing, toys and baby stuff to sell. Is it better to sell item by item or group clothing together in one sale. I have some clothes with tags on them, nice jackets and some barely worn. Dumb it down for me because I have no idea :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> Thanks!

Go to the tab that says "Sell", depending on which ebay, there is a either a wizard or tutorial.  Paypal is the easiest way for you to get payment as well as make payments.  You've to set up a merchant account on paypal.  Perhaps it'd be a good idea for you to gain experience in eBay as a buyer than a seller so you know the dynamics of the site. No one can explain experience to you.  

When you click the sell button it will walk you through that part of the process for the most part.  Do you have a paypal account? If not I would get one because people who don't use it don't make nearly as much because nearly everyone on eBay uses it as the preferred payment method.  You could go a few routes with shipping clothing.  If it falls under at 13 ounces you can ship first class and that's rarely over $3.50, but most likely it comes in at over 13 ounces.  When that's the case you have the options of shipping parcel post which is the slowest method but generally cheapest or priority that gets it there in 3 days or less anywhere in the US.  You can request FREE boxes and envelopes on the USPS website for priority shipping, but not any other shipping methods.  They have new padded flat rate envelopes that would probably fit most clothing items as long as they aren't too thick that cost around $5 to ship.  It's slightly less if you print your shipping label directly from ebay or paypal and you get delivery confirmation if you ship that way.  If you take it to the post office delivery confirmation is 75 cents more.

I could probably answer most any specific question you have about eBay or Paypal, but I'm not very great at laying out the entire process at once in text.  If you know specific weights I could probably help more with shipping options. 

Oh and the best advice you can get for selling on eBay... Make sure your pictures are great.  Nothing blurry or dark and don't have much clutter in the back ground. The better your pictures are the better your sales will be.

Canadian eBay has a tutorial which US ebay has a wizard but not tutorial. I don't know what other ebay has but the Sell tab looks different for each.  Like I said previously, look thru ebay and see how the auctions look like.  As a new seller, you will have limitations to what you can do.  There are ebay for dummies books out there.  Maybe you can invest in one.  There are other avenues like Craigs list or Kijiji that don't take a % of your selling price.  

I've sold a ton of things on ebay including parting out an old car.. Its pretty easy... Don't forget to post lots of photos on ebay.. Really helps sell things. You might also look into Craigs list if your near a larger city. Unlike ebay, it's fee free but you have to be willing to have local people come get things at your place.

I love craigslist to sell old things I no longer need and buy new things I probably don't need either haha.

Latest posts

Back