I have found the BEST make-up brush cleanser

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
This may sound odd but trust me ...

Cleaning my make-up brushes never was a big deal for me, until I began high school. I have tried just about every brush cleanser around ... high-end, middle-end, low-end and homemade.

I started out with baby soap/dish soap and water, moved on to M·A·C. Then my journey began with a whole lot of various other products/brands. I tried my own homemade concoctions and continued another endless journey with other products/brands.

With that being said, I have never been happy with the outcome of my brushes and sponges, until today. Normally I wash my brushes in the bathroom. I decided to wash them at my kitchen sink. Then an idea DAWNed (no pun intended) on me. I have used dish washing soap before (no it does not ruin your brushes) with okay results. When I saw the Dawn Bleach Alternative (over night soaking power in 5 mins) bottle I thought I'd give it a shot. I am BLOWN away with how well it cleaned my brushes and sponge. I always have trouble cleaning my Sonia Kashuk synthetic flat top multipurpose brush. It just seems to never get 100% clean. Tonight that brush (along with the rest of them) is sparkling clean and I am very happy with my shot-in-the-dark-on-a-whim try.

The next washing I am going to try the Dawn again and rinse it with vinegar (one of my homemade recipes I was using) and I'll let yall know if their is any difference.

PS: The Dawn Bleach Alternative works very well on stuck on or burned on food as well. LOL!

not sure but since it's a bleach alternative.. it shouldn't contain any bleach, and therefore not stain your clothes.. right?
icon_question.gif

It does not contain any bleach. In fact, it contains no phosphates too. Hope this info helps :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Originally Posted by Bonnie Krupa /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Does that bleach your clothes or anything if it gets on you?

Katie, you are correct :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> No bleach is in this product.

Originally Posted by Katie-Gaslight /img/forum/go_quote.gif

not sure but since it's a bleach alternative.. it shouldn't contain any bleach, and therefore not stain your clothes.. right?
icon_question.gif

That looks good but I use J&J's baby shampoo, non drying and very gentle on the bristles.

@ Bonnie ...  You are welcome :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

@ divadoll ... I have tried MANY dish soaps and I can't compare any to this one. The only factor for picking Dawn over any of the other dish soaps, is the fact it got my foundation brush super clean. Which no other dish soap had done. Plus it has not dried out my brushes. A major plus :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I believe the reason the Dawn bleach alternative works is because it contains peroxide. Peroxide tends to be a bleach alternative.

perhaps it depends on what foundation you are using.  It is kinda scary that it stays on so well after being soaped.  How clean is your face after you wash it?  My brush is primarily white and once I clean it, it is white again.  I use regular dawn (from the dollar store) or my facial cleanser sometimes.

Originally Posted by Dinitchka /img/forum/go_quote.gif

@ divadoll ... I have tried MANY dish soaps and I can't compare any to this one. The only factor for picking Dawn over any of the other dish soaps, is the fact it got my foundation brush super clean. Which no other dish soap had done. Plus it has not dried out my brushes. A major plus :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Hydrogen peroxide is a type of bleach. Here is a list of the ingerdents. I didn't see hydrogen peroxide. I did see some ingerdients that I have not heard of. 

Dawn® Plus with Bleach Alternative

Ingredient Purpose

Water (processing aid)

sodium lauryl sulfate (cleaning agent)

sodium laureth sulfate (cleaning agent)

alkyl dimethyl amine oxide (cleaning agent)

SD alcohol (processing aid)

sodium chloride (processing aid)

PPG-26 (processing aid)

PEI-14 PEG-10/PPG-7 copolymer (processing aid)

cyclohexanediamine (processing aid)

magnesium chloride (processing aid)

phenoxyethanol (process aid)

amylase enzyme methylisothiazolinone (preservative)

fragrance (aesthetics)

FD&C Blue 1 (colorant)

Originally Posted by zadidoll /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I believe the reason the Dawn bleach alternative works is because it contains peroxide. Peroxide tends to be a bleach alternative.

Not just scary but it was GROSS!! I am using Lorac oil free and NOT likeing it but I bought it on a flash site and I couldn't get a trade from anyone ... GO FIGURE? LOL! My face soap currently is Jurlique balancing foaming cleanser which is too costly to use as a brush cleanser and it is slightly drying to my face but cleanses it well. My blush brush is white and always comes white again when I wash it but that dang Sonia Kashuk brush just didn't want to get completley clean. No worries anymore though!

Originally Posted by divadoll /img/forum/go_quote.gif

perhaps it depends on what foundation you are using.  It is kinda scary that it stays on so well after being soaped.  How clean is your face after you wash it?  My brush is primarily white and once I clean it, it is white again.  I use regular dawn (from the dollar store) or my facial cleanser sometimes.

I use this method for all my smaller brushes:

It's a little scary bc it is alcohol but I tried it and it made all my brushes extremely soft like new. It amazed me.  For bigger brushes I tend to use my Mac oil cleanser and then rinse it off. It leaves them all really soft. I might try your method on my heavier duty brushes like foundation. Those things get gross quickly!

I love me some Wayne and his seXXXy wink. I have thought about trying this method but I'm old school and if it ain't got suds then I worry it's not clean. Which I know is not the case with this method but suds make me feel better
satisfied.gif

Originally Posted by Adrienne /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I use this method for all my smaller brushes:

It's a little scary bc it is alcohol but I tried it and it made all my brushes extremely soft like new. It amazed me.  For bigger brushes I tend to use my Mac oil cleanser and then rinse it off. It leaves them all really soft. I might try your method on my heavier duty brushes like foundation. Those things get gross quickly!

I use baby shampoo on my brushes. It is amazing. Also use baby oil to remove my makeup. They both work better than any expensive brush cleaner our makeup remover.

Baby shampoo used to be a fav of mine. I have not used baby oil but I have used olive oil. I'm sure baby oil is cheaper.

Originally Posted by Linde Wyser /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I use baby shampoo on my brushes. It is amazing.
Also use baby oil to remove my makeup. They both work better than any expensive brush cleaner our makeup remover.

cheaper don't mean better... baby oil is mineral oil.

Originally Posted by Dinitchka /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Baby shampoo used to be a fav of mine. I have not used baby oil but I have used olive oil. I'm sure baby oil is cheaper.

Back