How do you stick to your no buy?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've only gotten into makeup and beauty products really recently, and over the past few months I've amassed enough makeup to qualify for VIB status at Sephora (Urrgh, a tad bit embarrassing...). But recently I've found out that my husband may not have a job come January, and funding for grad students in the social sciences is less than awesome, so we've begun to cut back on unnecessary expenses.

If you're currently on or have finished with a no buy, what helped you get through it? I'm a bit worried because I'm an impulse shopper, but I do have a teeny little plan-let's just hope it works!

I feel so awful! I broke my no-buy today. I did need some new foundation since I've gotten slightly pastier since I bought my MAC studio fix fluid so what I was wearing was a bit too dark, but I also bought some new concealer, the Benefit all decked out kit and some Coralista (which I totally did not need). I'm definitely set for awhile now, so now I need to just stay away from Sephora for the next few months!

I avoid the makeup and cosmetic sections 100%.

It is the only way I won't be tempted to purchase something and the only way I can keep myself from obsessing over a new product.

I stopped browsing at Sephora almost entirely, and hadn't bought anything since the gift certificates came out. I hadn't planned on buying anything else for the next few months, I was going to save until the next Allure Beauty Box, then Sephora sent an email saying I was $40 from being a VIB, and I ordered. 
unsure.gif
 I bought some Philosophy sets on the sale page, and an Ole Henriksen duo, and some tweezers. Then today I ordered Morticia's Nails from HSN ($7.00!), and I feel like I'm careening out of control. The Philosohy sets were, like, $15 each, and they both have a full-size gloss, and those are usually $7-$10 each, and I go through a lot of gloss, so it is almost like getting the body washes and lotions for $1-$2 each, and that isn't bad. 
icon_redface.gif

Alice Blue, I know how you feel! Over the holiday break, I hit Ulta and Sephora pretty hard and now I'm feeling really, really tempted by some of the Philosophy sets that are available on the sale page. And now I've got my eye on some products from Birchbox, but I can easily save my points up over time for those. I took a look at my collection yesterday, and wow...time to get this mess under control! I'm thinking that if I avoid Sephora completely and delete emails from beauty sites, I'll actually stand a chance of not buying anything.

MyGlam, Birchbox, ect have been helping me a lot.  It lets me try a ton of new things and only spend 20-30 a month which isn't all that bad.  (Although I slip a lot when good sales come up)

Unsubscribe from sites that regularly send you emails for sales. I'm ashamed to admit that I could've probably helped at least 6 people reach a VIB status last year and my points always hover around 1000
icon_redface.gif
.  I'm really cutting back this year unless I see something that is an absolute neccessity or a really good deal. What will really help me is telling my husband of every penny I spend. He knows I've got a lot and buy alot but when I tell him something's coming in, he'll "chastise" me lol and I hold back more. Surprisingly, he's really good at keeping me sane on my addiction.

Also, when you see something you like, shop in your own makeup kit! People tend to purchase similar things over and over and over again. Also, avoid purchasing backups if it's not an HG and if you do, don't buy so many. There's always something newer and better to replace it and tastes change with time.

Avoid any cosmetics stores at all cost!

Thanks for the advice everyone! I'm going to try out everything that's been suggested. Hopefully these tips will help me get through the upcoming months. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Back