Here's my go at Project 10 Pan...Let's do this!

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
One of the reasons I decided to actually join this site and stop being a lurker is because I totally need to stop buying new things, and one of the things I really love about this site is the support for all of us no-buyers. I've been reading a lot about Project 10 Pan, and I think its the thing for me, and I think getting some advice and support from the wonderful members here will help me get through it.

So, here are the products I've chosen to be a part of this project:

1. NARS Blush in Orgasm 2. Urban Decay Pocket Rocket Lip Gloss in Colin 3. Smashbox Photo Finish Primer 4. Stila Lip Glaze in Raisin 5. Benefit BADgal Mascara 6. MAC Paint Pot in Painterly 7. Stila Blush in Tutu 8. Clinique lipstick in Waterviolet 9. MAC lip liner 10. Clinique Eyeshadow in Apricot Spice   Some of these products I'll miss once they're gone (especially the Stila blush, ohh!), but I cannot wait to get some of them out of my makeup bag! I've already decided that once I finish this, I'm going to pick up a few Kate Somerville skincare products--I should have plenty of time to save up money for them.   Anyone else doing/done this project? Any thoughts, advice, suggestions? :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I haven't attempted a project 10 challenge myself, but I wish you luck!!

Its a great way to use up products that have been sitting without use for too long.

**For those who don't know what a project 10 pan is, it is where you pick 10 items out of your collection and make a commitment to use them up before making new purchases, sometimes people pick to use items that they regret buying and want out of thier collection.

It is a way to use what you have without spending more money on unnessecary products.

Some ladies will repot them into a seperate pan, hence the project 10 pan.

This is something I definitely need to do. Since Aromaleigh opened up again I've dropped more than $250 on just their products in the past month or so, nevermind the rest of the stuff I've bought since the Black Friday sales started. But I now feel at this point that there's nothing else I really feel an urge to buy and really want to start challenging myself to use some of my products up. To be fair, I did, but nothing in great quantity. But I've used up a lot of skin care products I had stocked up on in the past 2 years. Many bottles and jars have been drained dry in that department. Haven't bought anything along those lines in quite some time. My weaknesses are eye shadows of all types including mineral products and cream shadows, as well as high quality gel/cream liners. I'm seriously shopped out.

"I'm seriously shopped out"

That really struck a chord with me--the main reason why I'm doing this! I qualified for Sephora's VIB status in the past two months (kind of embarrassing), and since I'm a grad student I really shouldn't be spending that much money on non-essentials. I think my biggest weakness lately has been blushes--I pretty much want to buy all of their boxed blushes! The thing that I have spent way too much money on is fragrance; I think I have enough to last me until I'm 30, hahhaa!

If you want to join me in this challenge, I'd be more than happy to be a support! :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Originally Posted by satojoko /img/forum/go_quote.gif

This is something I definitely need to do. Since Aromaleigh opened up again I've dropped more than $250 on just their products in the past month or so, nevermind the rest of the stuff I've bought since the Black Friday sales started. But I now feel at this point that there's nothing else I really feel an urge to buy and really want to start challenging myself to use some of my products up. To be fair, I did, but nothing in great quantity. But I've used up a lot of skin care products I had stocked up on in the past 2 years. Many bottles and jars have been drained dry in that department. Haven't bought anything along those lines in quite some time. My weaknesses are eye shadows of all types including mineral products and cream shadows, as well as high quality gel/cream liners. I'm seriously shopped out.

I'm going to make this my new years resolution. I have waaaay too many eyeshadows and mascaras. I bought the Tarte True Blood pallet when it first came out. It has 17 full size eyeshadow pans in it. I also bought a Stila eyeshadow quad this summer that I rarely use and a nine pan Sephora pallet. My make up bag is pretty big, but it's near to over flowing. I figure If I can stick to my New Year's resolution until March then I should be able to put the money I usually spend on cosmetics into my savings account instead.

My Project 10 Pan List

1. Tarte for True Blood Collector's Pallet
  2. Sephora Eye Shadow pallet
  3. Stila Endless Summer Eye Shadow pallet
  4. VS Eye Shadow in Frolic
  5. VS Eye Shadow in Luscious
  6. Global Goddess Eye Color in Darjeeling
  7. benefit BAD gal lash Mascara
  8. Sephora  Advanced Lash Booster (2 of them)
  9. Mary Kay Lash Love Mascara
  10. Tarte Lights, Camera, Lashes Mascara (3 of them)

God, forget the makeup bag....I need a large suitcase for all my stuff. Way too much. I'm giving some of my unused stuff to my best friend for Xmas this year. She needs to start building up a collection of mineral makeup as she's allergic to everything else since she developed lupus. Sure, why not? My husband and I save and donate money to a couple of different organizations, but we could definitely save more if I went on a no-buy. Feel free to PM me any time if you need some bolstering :) We could even swap some stuff to keep ourselves from buying! At the moment I'm feeling shopped out but I know it's gonna come up again where I'll be tempted to buy something when new collections and limited editions come out. Which is constantly :)

Good luck TacomaGirl! :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

@Satojoko: Awesome! Same here- anyone is welcome to PM me if they want some moral support. Right now I'm really feeling sick of buying things, but I'm pretty sure that once Sephora posts the gorgeous goodies for spring, I will be filled with want, haha!

I just signed up for the My Glam monthly subscription LOL My rationalization? I figure if I know I have a box coming every month with a few new things to try - for only $10 - it might cut down some of my online shopping. I'm doing my bloody best to resist Meow's Xmas collection eye shadows right now and have resisted thus far only because I've had a customer service issue with them over the last 6 months that STILL hasn't been resolved! Otherwise I would have gone absolutely ballistic on their website.

I've been making lists in a little notebook for the past week or so, writing down every color I want to try in future from every online cosmetics website I've been perusing. I first browse the wbesite for hours, checking their products against online swatches on random blogs, then fill my cart with 25 to 50 items, write them all down in my notebook in alphabetical order or otherwise categorized - complete with price, size, collection name, etc - and then dump my shopping cart. I then copy everything from my notebook into Evernote on my smartphone so I have a list ready to go the next time I buy something from those websites. I do most of my online shopping on my smartphone now, so that's the reason :) Since I started doing that, it has helped somewhat, especially checking all the swatches before adding them to my shopping cart and my notebook, as well as adding up the actual $$ amount by doing the math myself. I tend to choose far less that way. 

So now I've got a notebook FULL of all the products I want to try, itemized in ridiculous detail, for the next time I allow myself a $150 to $200 or so online shopping spree! Absolutely mental! But the one time I've gone back after even 4 days and checked those same colors, I often found myself thinking  'really? why did I want THAT??' It made me realize how much of my choices are so crazily impulsive. What I would like to do is go on a no-buy til IMATS next year and then go nuts buying hundreds of $$ of Inglot eye shadows! LOL Yes, I've got a list of those too! :)

That's funny! I'm keeping birchbox subscription only because I don't want to lose the points I've accumulated. I window shop online for makeup all the time. Sometimes just adding stuff to my Amazon.com wishlist is enough to keep me entertained. A lot of times I will look back on it later and remove stuff from my list. It's like buyers remorse without the actual buying. 

That was my exact rationalization for getting and keeping MyGlam and Birchbox subscriptions. I figure that $20 a month for the two combined is a heck of a lot better than what I was spending on makeup before, and hopefully it will help curb my Sephora cravings!

Ooo I've been doing something like this for a while!  I've been trying so hard to use up these items:

1) Cheap makeup kit gray eyeshadows

2) Cheap makeup kit blush

3) Cheap makeup kit concealer (see a pattern here? LOL)

4) Nicka K. black eyeliner

5) Japanese "dollar" store brand eyeshadow palette

6) Revlon not just nudes lipstick

7) Cheap cell phone lip gloss thingie

8) Awake skin renovation foundation

9) Random Target dollar spot lip gloss

10) Urban Decay lush lash system

This is such a great idea. I dont have enough stuff in my collection right now to warrant doing it but I can certainly see how it may come in useful in the future. :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Good luck ladies!

I really need to try something like this. Or at least spend money on palettes to depot all my items. We still have another week and 1/2 before the month is over and I've already blown thru my 100 monthly spending limit.  Spending more time here makes me spend more, not save. Especially with all the gorgeous swatches.

I feel you! I have so much stuff, and I just spent a ton at Sephora (in my defense, I needed some foundation/concealer/powder that actually matches my skin), so I really need to focus on using up a lot of my makeup before I even think about buying more. We don't have a ton of money, so the last thing I should be buying is makeup. My goal is to get everything to fit in a decent sized train case, but I'm still a ways from that... :/ I need to stay away from this place, haha!

Originally Posted by Adrienne /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I really need to try something like this. Or at least spend money on palettes to depot all my items. We still have another week and 1/2 before the month is over and I've already blown thru my 100 monthly spending limit.  Spending more time here makes me spend more, not save. Especially with all the gorgeous swatches.

Back