Do different foundations require a different face cleanser for removal?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have always used mineral makeup and removal was quite simple. I use a gentle hydrating cleanser.(non-foaming) It worked well to remove my eye makeup as well. (not waterproof). I generally did a double cleanse to make sure all was removed. The cleanser also work well for my sensitive, dry, skin. So it got me wondering about my new foundation. It is silcone based. Most water-soluble cleansers don't remove silicone properly. Is that correct? I prefer silicone base as it seems to compliment my skins needs. Anyone have any advice or can give me direction? Oil-based? Water-based? Ugh. My head is spinning. Thanks in advance!

I use the Oil Cleansing Method - OCM to clean makeup off my face and clean off the oil with a cream cleanser.  It removes any and all makeup including waterproof mascara, mineral foundation, longwear lip colours etc.  It also normalizes your skin so after longer term use, your face is neither oily nor dry.   Oil is readily available, it is natural, fragrance-free, inexpensive.  My mix is 1/3 castor oil, 1/3 jojoba, 1/4 hempseed.  

I use the oil cleansing method, too. It's the only thing that has prevented breakouts and completely removes all my makeup, even waterproof mascara.

I find it depends on what I've used on my face. Milk cleansers (LRP Toleraine, KORRES Milk Proteins Foaming Cream) take TM & MSFN off just fine; as does Bioderma Sensibio H20 Micelle Solution. I find I need a cleansing oil for thicker/more long wear foundations, though.

@MarisCrane that's good to know! Also a big thank you for your rec's regarding LPR Toleriane! I asked a while ago about a moisturizer for sensitive skin and you recommended this (LPR) line. I have been nothing but pleased and it's a sweet, sweet, victory for my skin. I've been currently using the Toleriane Ultra and it's A-a-a-mazing! My skin did a 360. Which has given me the incentive to step out of my comfort zone (if you will) in the terms of makeup. My skin barrier actually looks healthy again. No flakes, redness has decreased, and all in all in much better shape. Again, thank you so much. I would of never thought to look to this line as I was in the dark with what to choose. I was prior to this little gem using Avene. Avene and I did not get along. Though, it was marketed for sensitive skin. The majority of their products are formulated with mineral oil. Mineral oil in itself is fine...but not much in the way of healing. My skin turned red, warm, and was spotted with tiny, pimples. I have come to the conclusion it's not the mineral oil in itself but more so my skin felt smothered. So, anything underneath the (mineral oil) was just contributing to war on my face. The mineral oil was doing it's job of just protecting it-NOT healing it. So there's my rant. bla-bla-bla.
I'm comfortable with my current cleanser and truly do not want to switch. If it ain't broke...However I do not want to blame a product for being less than stellar when it's not. If I'm not removing it properly (even the non-comdogenic of makeup products) it will cause problems. Like I said, I just want to have the correct info to proceed without reaction or false conclusions.
I'm looking @ purchasing Tarte Tinted Moisturizer or Dream Smooth Mousse by Maybelline. I need a little something under my mineral makeup. My skin is healthy and I'd like to keep it that way. But I find even with moisturizers under my mineral makeup I get dried out. Which just magnifies tiny lines and makes me look older. Totally defeating the purpose of my makeup routine. Makeup is actually something that could be fun again for me....I haven't felt that way in many years. Sorry for the long rant-but your rec made me and my skin very,very, happy!

I have never heard of this method but will try. Thanks ladies!

Originally Posted by divadoll /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I use the Oil Cleansing Method - OCM to clean makeup off my face and clean off the oil with a cream cleanser.  It removes any and all makeup including waterproof mascara, mineral foundation, longwear lip colours etc.  It also normalizes your skin so after longer term use, your face is neither oily nor dry.   Oil is readily available, it is natural, fragrance-free, inexpensive.  My mix is 1/3 castor oil, 1/3 jojoba, 1/4 hempseed.  
Originally Posted by Adrienne /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I use the oil cleansing method, too. It's the only thing that has prevented breakouts and completely removes all my makeup, even waterproof mascara.

@ indiegirl: You're welcome :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> I absolutely love the LRP; I expect I'll go back to it as it's more readily available (and cheaper) than the KORRES, but just as effective.

Try Shu Uemura's oil cleansers. It's been very highly raved about by girls and guys who use makeup, and even I personally see it as my HG makeup remover. It's also been voted best overall makeup remover by magazines and it has never disappointed me. It not only removes face makeup, but also lip and eye at the same time, so you can save the trouble of getting separate cleansers for different parts of your face. Hope this helps. ;) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I know Shu has been taken off the states, and what a great pity, but I'm sure you can find the cleansers off eBay or on the Shu Uemura site.

xoxo,

Roxanne

Back