Could use some advice - started female hormones

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi Girls,

I haven't been here in a pretty long time, but always found it to be friendly and helpful when I asked advice.  I have finally begun my transition to female and have been on estrogen for about 9 months I think (under doctor care). It's kinda like going thru puberty again but this time a female puberty.  I haven't started an anti androgen yet to block my testosterone but will be starting it very soon.  When I started estrogen my blood level for estrogen was less than 1. After 9 months it is now around 300, which is very similar to most women my age or slightly lower. My breasts are developing and my body hair is thinning and lightening. I feel more emotional and can get hot flashes out of the blue!

My nipples are very sore and was wondering how long the soreness lasted for you and if you noticed growth spurts when they hurt. I am still waiting for hip and butt development and hope that will happen when I lower my testosterone level to that of other women. Even with breast soreness, hot flashes and mood swings, I feel... right.

Thanks!

Joan

Hi Joan

As a 48 year old woman, my estrogen is definately decreasing. To be honest, I have no clue where my estrogen level is - never had it tested.

One side effect of decreasing estrogen is the hot flashes - that's why so many older women have them.

My nipples were always very sensitive around the time of my period. This is the time that estrogen and progesterone are at their lowest, apparently.

I wonder if your level of estrogen is too low - sore breasts and flashes. However, perhaps your doctor is slowly letting your body get use to it, and will increase estrogen again.

Ask your doctor if you require progesterone? And about the side effects and low estrogen while you are transitioning.

To be honest Joan, I get so confused with hormonal stuff...

Best of luck with your transitioning.

Hi Dragon and thanks so much for your thoughts. I think you are right about the hot flashes.  But I think my nipples are sore because I am starting to develop as a girl going thru puberty would. My estrogen level is creeping upwards but it is being thwarted by my testosterone. It's coming down but still has a long way to go.  My doc gave me a med to begin lowering the testosterone so hopefully it will begin to work and my estrogen levels will go up a bit more!  It amazes me how sore my nipples and breasts can feel.  I now fully sympathize and understand what women experience, especially hot flashes.  I think all men should be required to take estrogen long enough to experience them!

Thanks for your advice.

Definitely your breasts hurt because the gland underneath the skin grows.  It is similar to women who are at the first trimester of their pregnancy and many women who suffer from PMS.  The stretching of skin makes it itch and sore.  

Thank you Diva. I guess it's a good thing because it means they are developing!  Now if I could just get my hips and butt to get a little more curvy!!!  : )

Its just excess fat...not a great thing.  I did not have hips nor butt til I gave birth.  I preferred having a boyish body, I looked better in clothes.  Keep in mind that - boyish bodies is why CD's/trannies look so good in women's clothes.  Its because they are tall, lanky and no hips.  

I'm a bit confused about subcutaneous fat for men and women.  Men's should be much lower than women's.  How does that effect men undergoing hormone treatment's hearts? 

In males the fat sits mainly around the waistline area and females the hip/thigh area amongst others. It is far worse to have the fatty tissue in the waist line area for your heart. In hormone therapy there are a couple of issues. If not monitored carefully the estrogen can cause blood clots to occur, which as we know isn't too good!  But, estrogen helps protect the heart in pre menopausal women and there is a feeling in the medical field that it can offer a benefit to males using estrogen.

So, there are pluses and minuses as with everything in life.

I've been on HRT since I was 16 (24 now), and I transitioned socially when I was almost 17.  For quite a long time my chest would be sensitive, but after what I remember being about a year, growth still occurred but it was drastically slower and I didn't have the hypersensitivity I had.  I still went up size wise a little bit for maybe 2-3 years(not much, but things changed in terms of shape).  Breast size has been about the same since the 3 year mark or so.

I was more interested in the ever more fine my body hair got over time. I never had much hair, never any chest hair at all, but body hair freaks me out and I've had extensive laser hair removal over the years in many areas; seeing that vellous hair get finer was nice.  I hope you're doing facial hair removal via electrolysis or laser, as it takes FOREVER; and that's coming from an incredibly white skinned and dark haired individual.  Start yesterday if you haven't!

The subtle changes to your face can amaze you over time.  The fat redistribution, even with the little bit on your face, can make a huge difference.  To the point that I felt okay without FFS (next year I am going to have it done when vacation allows for vanity reasons).  Even at older ages, it can still take you by surprise, usually that it takes you way longer to see the redistributed you when you look in the mirror.

For emotions, I always was somewhat emotional.  HRT didn't really change that.  Transitioning made a huge difference in my outlook and attitudes.  The exploration and introspection on myself that was part of transitioning felt freeing.

I've been on pretty heavy doses but am fit as can be healthwise (3mo appts with endo support this) and currently am on 200mg spironolactone, 6mg estradiol and 10mg of medroxyprogesterone and have been at these dosages for several years.  Within the next year, year and a half, SRS will have me re-evaluating my HRT regimen and whether I can drop the spiro.  The AAs made a HUGE difference early on though(I don't know now, but I'm inclined to leave good alone until SRS).

I hope that helped a little, ask questions on anything if you have em!

Thank you for all the information.  I had laser on my face and back and am noticing the hair on my body s thinner and finer.  I am much older than you, so I don't expect drastic changes, but I do feel emotional changes also. I don't notice facial changes and the only visible change I see on my body so far is my breast development starting.

Good luck on FFS and SRS.

The nipple/breast sensitivity is normal. It will decrease with time.

Congrats on taking this step forward in your transitioning! :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Back