How to keep natural curls/waves?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Sorry if this is a stupid question! I've always been clueless about hair. My hair is naturally fairly curly, but if I brush it, it becomes straighter (so it ends up not being straight-straight or evenly curly or wavy, just awkward-looking). I usually air dry my hair and flat iron it, but I'd love to wear my hair curly.

I brush it right out of the shower and add gel or mouse before it drys so it drys curly.  If I brush it dry it's a massive frizzy mess.

Don't brush your hair. For curly hair, detangle it in the shower with your fingers or a wide-tooth comb. When you get out, gently blot your hair with a towel and don't rub your hair together to dry it, as the friction will raise your hair cuticles and will cause them to be a frizzy mess. The apply a curl-enhancing cream and scrunch your hair to encourage your waves and curls. Let it air dry and enjoy! 

I like to use Bed Head's anti frizz serum followed by some leave in conditioner. Another tip I picked up someplace was not to use products that have a lot of alcohol in them. I try to be a little more careful these days and have noticed that my hair not QUITE as frizzy. I agree with the wide tooth comb though, it really helps with keeping curls intact. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Its called the Curly Girl Method...have a look and give it a try.  Its not about what you need to use but all about what you shouldn't be using.  I've been doing this for a year now.  I don't have curly hair but it has made a dramatic change to the texture of my really thick, coarse, straight asian hair and how long the colour lasts in my hair.  There are also other thread dedicated to washing with conditioner only.

https://www.makeuptalk.com/t/114404/washing-with-conditioner-only

https://www.makeuptalk.com/t/45290/co-washing

https://www.makeuptalk.com/t/121540/co-washing-and-conditioning-with-oils

There is also the home brew no poo option of using baking soda and using apple cider vinegar as a rinse. 

It works well but I found I couldn't use it for very long as it was bleaching my hair out. Also, it's not something you want to start doing before a big night cause the gets worse before it gets better kinda thing.

Go for the non-silicone conditioner rather than baking soda.  It has no bleaching effects with getting worse before it gets better period.   There are some cheap conditioners that'd work.  The ACV works well as a clarifier.  

Originally Posted by Pancua /img/forum/go_quote.gif

There is also the home brew no poo option of using baking soda and using apple cider vinegar as a rinse. 

It works well but I found I couldn't use it for very long as it was bleaching my hair out. Also, it's not something you want to start doing before a big night cause the gets worse before it gets better kinda thing.

I use mixed chicks. It keeps my curls locked without it looking crunchy or dry.its soft and looks natural. I love it check out the girls that came up with this amazing product. Www.mixed chicks.net. Xoxoxo Vanessa.

I have the exact same problem. My hair has huge waves. It curled like crazy when I bleached it but now it's all virgin hair so it's more like wavy. I don't ever use a blow dryer and I only wash my hair every few days. Co-washing made my head super oily but it's possible I did it wrong. I always use a leave-in conditioner and NEVER brush my hair.. but no matter what its a big puffball. It looks amazing when I straighten it but I want gorgeous waves/curls. Any help would be appreciated by me as well.

I usually apply my conditioner right after I step into the shower and wet my hair.  I let it sit and continue with my shower routine.  1/2 thru, I run my fingers thru my hair and lather up the conditioner.  This will emulsify the excess hair oils to the conditioner.  I leave it to do the rest of my washing up.  Nearing the end, I lather up some more and rinse.  I use a styling wax made with shea butter, castor oil and beeswax.  This method removes it all with no build-up.  Maybe try a different conditioner to work with if the one you tried is leaving your hair too oily.  I've used suave and Delon olive oil conditioner (my dollarstore find @$1.25 for 400ml bottle)

I don't brush or comb, just run through it with my fingers when I condition it.

After a good wash and condition, I dry my hair about halfway, then use TIGI curls rock curl amplifier (Awesome, awesome stuff! Only product I've used that I've really liked so far) and scrunch it into my hair, then let it air dry. This has been my method for a couple years and works beautifully!

Use a hair curler dear ..... if you want to wear curls on your hair then there is nothing better than a hair curler. It will allow you to have curls of any shape and size.    

Use John Frieda's secret weapon to set your hair or Lee Stafford Dehumidifier ! Both are good products for keeping the hair in place and it's not like hairspray. Alternatively use V05's curl up control mouse as well. It's another excellent product if you are looking for something cheaper to just try out. 

you will do conditioner with take shampoo so your hair dry but you always use in oil.but i will give you one site where you will see about hair?

heres the simplest way possible. take a shower before you go to bed, dont brush your hair and just put it in a messy bun overnight for it to dry. 

I think every curly hair is different.

There are a lot of youtube videos that can help.

Personally, after i normally wash my hair, i use a frizz serum, a leave-in conditioner, and let it air dry. it works for me. i never brush if i intend to have it in curls.

if you think your curls are not emphasized, you can divide into parts (after washing it, and towel-drying it for a bit) and braid it. till it completely dries, but still you would need to leave some leave-in conditioner or serum, or whatever works, so your hair wont get dried out. after it completely dries, unbraid it, and comb through your hair to part the curls..  

I think mostly you have to experiment with what goes right for your hair type. i struggled for years till i found my natural curls :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

This happens to me too.  What I usually do, is comb out my hair after the shower, and then put gel in it.  Then I put it back in the towel and it usually curls up just fine.  The next method I know of is combing you hair before you get out of the shower.  I sometimes use wen, and that makes my hair tangle free.  But if you don't have wen, try combing you hair right after you condition.  Then when you take your hair out of the towel, you wont have to detangle. 

Let me know how it works out!

Yes this problem was with me but now a days i am use this product so i am OK. You can use bed & high quality hair conditioner & good product. This product very helpful in your problem(Hair Loss/Dandruff Products = http://www.seriousstyle.co.uk/)

Latest posts

Back