Blog giveaways, do you do them and why or why not?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

internetchick

Beauty Blogger
Reaction score
Just curious.

I like to do them. I think it is fun, like being Santa Claus. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> I just can't do them very often.

I love doing giveaways! I do them all the time. I do a mix of hosted giveaways (pr provided products.. but only products I actually like) and stuff I've bought myself. I bought a few extra goodies from the MAC Naturally collection yesterday to giveaway on my blog's facebook.

I agree, it's fun giving stuff away and being a Beauty Clause lol.

I've been doing them. It's a lot of fun and it helps build followers and traffic.

I don't mind people signing up during a giveaway, but I hate when there is one or two people that drop off when the giveaway is over. :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I also like doing giveaways because everyone is so enthusiastic about them, but just as internetchick said i hate it when some leave after the giveaway is over, or when they get mad at me because i didn't pick them :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> 

I don't know if this is the right thread to ask but what do you think about sponsored giveaways vs. paid with your own money giveaways?

I think that if i could afford it, i'd deffinetly do alot more giveaways from my own money, but sponsored ones can get you more readers..especially if the company advertises the giveaway.  oh and If you do sponsored giveaways, how do you find the sponsors? 

I haven't done a sponsored giveaway. One company contacted me about doing one, but it was a company I didn't know well (though I had seen a few giveaways from the same company on other blogs) and didn't want to have them on my site without more information. I didn't feel they related to beauty all that much either. I don't know how you find them honestly. I have no issues with sponsored giveaways. Products for review cost money, it costs money to host your own giveaways, and if people can do a sponsored giveaway on their blog more power to them.

I like the sponsored giveaways, but I will only do them if it's something I know people will like and related to my blog. PR companies contact me about hosting them. Some sponsored giveaways I've held are: 10 Stila palettes (our very own jeanarick actually won 1 of them), Harvey Prince perfume, Julep Maven intro box. Some giveaways I've done with my own cash are: MAC lipsticks, Urban Decay gloss, Urban Decay palettes, Smashbox lipgloss.

I kinda get sad that everyone can't win LOL.

Quote:

Originally Posted by aqua_shell /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I also like doing giveaways because everyone is so enthusiastic about them, but just as internetchick said i hate it when some leave after the giveaway is over, or when they get mad at me because i didn't pick them :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> 

I don't know if this is the right thread to ask but what do you think about sponsored giveaways vs. paid with your own money giveaways?

I think that if i could afford it, i'd deffinetly do alot more giveaways from my own money, but sponsored ones can get you more readers..especially if the company advertises the giveaway.  oh and If you do sponsored giveaways, how do you find the sponsors? 

Just found this group, yay!  Anyway, I am doing my very first giveaway and I think it's super fun because I love being able to give back.  I also love entering them from other beauty bloggers.  I just won 2 MAC products recently from a giveaway. YaY!   Before I posted it though, I did a little research and found lots of crazy laws about giveaways so I tried to be as specific as possible and as legal as possible.  So many blogs do them with little rules but you'd be surprised what kind of liability you open yourself up to.  Im glad I researched it first and made sure to spell out all my rules to protect myself.  Not everyone is a good person and the last thing I need is someone claiming they hurt themselves or something on one of my giveaway products and trying to sue me. lol.  I'm sure it's fine if your winner is not a basket case and tries to pull something but it's a scary thought.

Do any of you use rafflecopter?  Thats what I am using, and so far I really like it.  It is my first giveaway though so I don't have anything else to compare it to.  

Originally Posted by BrightsideBabe /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Just found this group, yay!  Anyway, I am doing my very first giveaway and I think it's super fun because I love being able to give back.  I also love entering them from other beauty bloggers.  I just won 2 MAC products recently from a giveaway. YaY!   Before I posted it though, I did a little research and found lots of crazy laws about giveaways so I tried to be as specific as possible and as legal as possible.  So many blogs do them with little rules but you'd be surprised what kind of liability you open yourself up to.  Im glad I researched it first and made sure to spell out all my rules to protect myself.  Not everyone is a good person and the last thing I need is someone claiming they hurt themselves or something on one of my giveaway products and trying to sue me. lol.  I'm sure it's fine if your winner is not a basket case and tries to pull something but it's a scary thought.

Do any of you use rafflecopter?  Thats what I am using, and so far I really like it.  It is my first giveaway though so I don't have anything else to compare it to.  
Just out of curiosity, what did you put for the rules to do with the legal side of it?

Back