[review] New Beauty Test Tube - 1st quarter 2012

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
The 2012 1st quarter Test Tube by New Beauty has been shipped and my box came today (Wednesday the 4th) and this time there was no damage to the products inside and it wasn't lost (my 4th quarter QVC box was mis-delivered which resulted in QVC issuing me a refund since those boxes sold out).

The 1st quarter QVC version is not up on their site yet but it will be in a few days since it airs on QVC on the 16th.

The box directly from New Beauty focused on skin care products and did not have any cosmetics in it. The QVC version will have cosmetics in it if you're interested in sampling tarte and Mally. My box was $29.95 and shipping was $8.95 but there was no tax so the total for it came to $38.90.

A couple of the items in my box were repeats but I didn't mind the repeats since I liked the items. Wish there were more items in the box since there was only one full size item in the box this time around.

Sample size
[SIZE=large]Macadamia Natural Oil and Deep Repair Masque (Get Hooked Pack)[/SIZE]
Each sample is 1 oz / 30 mL

I did get these in my 3rd quarter box, which was my first box from New Beauty, and I loved the deep repair masque. I'm happy that I got this again since I've never found this sold locally at any store or wholesaler.

I know I can buy it online at their website where the 1 oz masque pack is sold for $4 while the 1 oz Healing Oil sells for $13 if purchased individually. This little box is actually called the Get Hooked Pack and costs $13 on their website.

There are few new products (to me) that I've received in my Birchboxes, TestTubes or any other sample box that I actually end up liking and this is one of those items.

Sample size
[SIZE=large]Miracle Skin Transformer SPF20 Face[/SIZE]
0.16 oz

I've never used this before so I'm excited to try it. From their website:
An antioxidant-rich tinted skin enhancer that leaves your skin airbrushed, hydrated and protected in one easy step. Who knew that one product could transform skin instantly? Miracle Skin Transformer SPF20’s first-ever naturally derived silicone formulation is designed to improve skin texture, minimize fine lines and pores and reduce pigmentation spots over time.
The full size (1.7 oz) retails for $48 while the "to go" (0.85 oz) retails for $9. The sample size was only 0.16 oz which is about 1/5 the size of the "to go" tube. Since this is a "not for sale" sample if I had to put a price on it then it would be around $1.80 based on the "to go" price.

Sample size
[SIZE=large]Chella Anti-Fatigue Eye Mask Kit[/SIZE]

This is another item I have never tried or heard of but am excited to try. I wake up really early and so my eyes are always tired. This kit includes:

1-Pack Includes:
  • 1 Eye Zone Matrix Mask
  • 1 Anti-Fatigue Mask Activator

From their site:

Hello bright eyes. Give us your tired, dark-circled, sleepy eyes yearning to look like they once did. This collagen-matrix equals a good nights worth of pseudo-sleep. Activate this skin-identical collagen to lift, firm and smooth - right now. Collagen elevates and un-lines the entire eye contour while our special activator formula energizes, de-puffs, and un-circles for light, bright eyes. Ergothionine amino acid reanimates cells, supercharging clarity.

Each Kit comes with a 1.5 ml sample of Chella's Eye Cream to complete the pampering experience! In just 20 minutes, once a week, for four weeks, see a reduction of under-eye puffiness, fine lines and dehydration. Apply mask while tweezing, primping or prepping for a big day. Spa-worthy. Super activated.Beautiful.
This sample is available on their site for FREE but you have to pay $9.95 shipping.

Sample Size
[SIZE=large]Immunocologie Treatment Cream VenoMAX[/SIZE]
.5 oz / 15 mL

I've heard and used Immunocologie products before (previous Test Tube) and liked it but the products are VERY pricey.

According to the Immunocologie website this product, "that mimics snake venom activity.  Snake venom can be deadly – but similar substances can also heal!! The form of a “wrinkle killerâ€, this is a complex which mimics part of a polypeptide found in the venom of the Temple Viper.  It has beneficial effects for the skin."

This baby costs $275 for a full size jar (1.7 oz) and this sample is something I'm reluctant to try because of the cost. What if I like it? At $275 it would be something I would have to save for. Even with a $50 Spalook "gift card" (see below) it would still be over $225 after tax (if any). Since the full size is a little more than triple the sample size then the sample size is worth about $81!

Here's how I figured the price.
1.7 ÷ .5 = 3.4
$275 ÷ 3.4 = $80.88235294117647​

Sample size
[SIZE=large]Dr. Brandt Microdermabrasion Exfoliating Face Cream[/SIZE]
0.25 fl. oz. / 7.5 mL

In all my three Test Tubes I've received I've been sent various Dr. Brandt products. In this quarter's tube I was sent the [SIZE=small]Microdermabrasion Exfoliating Cream which retails on Sephora for $75 for 1.7 oz which means this sample size has a value of around $11.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=small]To be honest, I'm not crazy about the Dr. Brandt products but will give this one a try. Hopefully, since I have very sensitive skin, this won't irritate my skin. According to Sephora's site it'll "exfoliate evenly without scratching or irritating the skin to smooth fine lines and wrinkles and improve the overall texture of the skin."[/SIZE]

Sample size
[SIZE=large]Lumene Sensitive Touch 5 min SOS Cream[/SIZE]
0.14 fl. oz / 4 mL

This is the only product that I know can be found in drugstores. I've never used it but have seen it at RiteAid for $19.99.

Full size
[SIZE=large]Mirai Purifying Body Serum[/SIZE]
150 mL / 5 fl. oz.

I've seen some of the YouTube videos for this quarter's Test Tube and many people who received the body serum or body wash didn't like the smell, I did but I actually like the smell of green tea.

According to the Mirai website this is suppose to "help prevent and diminish age-spots, wrinkles and dry skin". I did try it when I did my YouTube video (haven't edited or uploaded yet) and like I mentioned I liked the smell of it. It felt nice on my skin and I found that it kept my skin soft for several hours. 

Sold on Amazon.com for $39 plus $4.95 shipping. I would buy this again.

Sample size
[SIZE=large]GlyMed Intense Peptide Skin Recovery Complex[/SIZE]
.125 fl. oz / 3.69 mL

Another product I've never heard of much less tried. According to GlyMed's website this product "targets lines and wrinkles deep within the skin's surface by delivering five potent amino acid complexes."

The full size is 1.0 oz and retails on Spalook for $79. The price on the official site is not available unless you have an account.

[SIZE=large]Spalook $50 gift card[/SIZE]

This isn't a gift card but more of a promo code where you get $50 off a $200 purchase. I still have my $20 off $100 and my other $50 off $200 cards. To me this is the biggest disappointment because it's not a real gift card. Overall the Mirai Purifying Body Serum paid for the Test Tube ($38.90) so all the other samples were bonuses. I love Test Tube despite the problems I've had with my first two tubes and would recommend it to those who want quality samples. The downside is you don't know what you're getting. This quarter's tube is skin/hair care products and contained no cosmetics which made many people (on YouTube) unhappy. I liked my Tube and I'm a picky person. As I mentioned before if you want cosmetics try the QVC New Beauty Test Tube available on QVC on the 16th.

I'm not sure if mine is missing items or not but I received the Murai spritzer but not the body wash or serum. This is my first test tube. Overall I'm excited about the products but I think I am going to like the QVC one a bit better!

Originally Posted by MakeupA /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I'm not sure if mine is missing items or not but I received the Murai spritzer but not the body wash or serum. This is my first test tube. Overall I'm excited about the products but I think I am going to like the QVC one a bit better!
That was the item that came random. There were three boxes varieties - one box contained the serum, another the body wash and the third the spritzer. No box contained all three. This has happened in the past when Test Tube would have like two to four varieties of a company so the box the subscriber would get could be box A, box B, box C or box D.

Originally Posted by cappuccino /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I thought QVC was not doing New Beauty Test Tubes anymore?
Nope they still are.

New Beauty Test Tube

A223845 New Beauty 9-Piece Test Tube with Magazine Limited Edition ($29.96 + $6.97 shipping)

A224137 A-D New Beauty Test Tube with Magazine Ltd. Ed.Auto-Delivery ($29.96 + $6.97 shipping)

Thanks for the links. That's weird because I was on auto delivery, I got a notice from them in Oct that Oct would be the last one. When I look it up on my account it says my AD is complete. Then I can't find the test tube on their website unless I go through your link, but still can't order.

Thanks Zadidoll for clearing things up! I was also able to sign up for the QVC one Friday morning before it got deleted. I can't wait to sample more products!
claps.gif

QVC has a great 6-pc. Beauty Sampler Bag for $15.00. This includes shipping. Item # A322578  

Includes:

• 1-fl oz Living Proof Full Shampoo
  • 1-fl oz Living Proof Full Conditioner
  • 2-oz Nick Chavez Amazon Hair Body Building Styling Clay
  • 0.375-fl oz philosophy when hope is not enough facial firming serum
  • 1-fl oz Murad AHA/BHA Exfoliating Cleanser
  • 0.1-fl oz philosophy divine long-wear creamy eye color duo in golden stardust and brown sugar
  • Clear cosmetic/travel bag
  • philosophy eye color duo component made in China; All else made in USA

Nice! Thanks for posting this.

QVC has a great 6-pc. Beauty Sampler Bag for $15.00. This includes shipping. Item # A322578  

Includes:

• 0.1-fl oz philosophy divine long-wear creamy eye color duo in golden stardust and brown sugar

Oh, man...totally debating getting that! I already always get both the regular and QVC TestTube versions and just subscribed to MyGlam, BeautyArmy, and BeautyFix last week. AND I just spent $65 on the Ulta website! I need to cut myself off, but I'd really love to try that Living Proof stuff. Volumizing hair products are a major weakness of mine! I know I don't like cream eye shadow, though. This is a dilemma...I'll probably end up doing it!

Includes:

Lucky girl. QVC doesn't seem to like me. LOL I ordered mine on the 8th and ended up calling them last night to find out the status of my box since it says a label was printed. Turns out my box isn't shipping until the 30th! :|

Wow that's crappy, you even ordered yours before I did.

Originally Posted by zadidoll /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Lucky girl. QVC doesn't seem to like me. LOL I ordered mine on the 8th and ended up calling them last night to find out the status of my box since it says a label was printed. Turns out my box isn't shipping until the 30th! :|

I just used the deep repair masque from my 1st test tube last night and it is really awesome! My hair is thick, curly, and I just dyed it red so it was definitely in serious need of repair! Immediately after putting this stuff in my hair I felt a difference. I even got complimented by my gf at our aerobics class today as she noticed it looked more moisturized and my curls were more defined compared to when she saw me yesterday! I don't really care for the oil because of the strong smell, but I am sooo ready to order a full tub of this masque!
smile.gif

I'm not very pleased with QVC's customer service right now. I called this morning to tell them about my dried up tarte eyeliner. This is almost word for word how I opened the conversation:

"Hi, I just received my New Beauty Test Tube and the Tarte eyeliner was very dried up and broken up into peices. I really don't want to send the entire tube back because of this, could I just be issued a free shipping credit for the next time I place an order?"

The operator told me that all they could do was refund me for the one item. She divided $36.93 (the amount I paid) by 10 (the number of items in the tube) and told me she would refund me $3.69 back to my credit card.

I told her that eyeliner costs $18, making it one of the more valuable items in the tube and $3.69 wasn't really fair. I again requested if I could just get a free shipping credit instead (which the value of a free shipping credit is ONLY a couple bucks more.. depending on the item I'm buying). The operator just wanted to argue with me and keep explaining the process at which she arrived to the $3.69 refund. Finally after about 5 more minutes of back and forth arguing (over A COUPLE FREAKING DOLLARS) she finally says "one moment please....okay I will issue you a free shipping credit."

Like seriously? Instead of arguing with me for several minutes, why not just do what I requested in the first place? It's not like a free shipping credit was a completely unreasonable form of compensation for receiving an $18 unusable item. I buy SO much stuff from QVC and to have to deal with customer service like that just irritates the crap out of me.

What an idiot she was. I would have asked for her supervisor. You could have EASILY asked for a refund on the whole thing or she could have offered to send a replacement for the liner.

I know right? I really didn't think that was so unreasonable. I hate calling them with a problem.. it's like pulling teeth to get any sort of satisfactory resolution.

Originally Posted by zadidoll /img/forum/go_quote.gif

What an idiot she was. I would have asked for her supervisor. You could have EASILY asked for a refund on the whole thing or she could have offered to send a replacement for the liner.

Oh, not only that, but someone commented on my Beauty Tube blog post that the eyeliner in their tube was exactly the same as mine (dried up and broken).

Good to know. If MY Tarte eyeliner comes that way you better believe I'm asking for a replacement OR a refund.

Back