Natural ingredient cosmetics & mineral makeup...what is the confusion?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
When i say to people i use natural ingredient cosmetics , why do a lot of people say 'do you mean mineral makeup ?' Is this because natural ingredient makeup only used to be available in mineral makeup ? It really confuses me so any help/ advice on this would be much appreciated !

I'm not convinced "natural" is better.... Arsenic is all natural and I wouldn't use that... Personally if its safe and non-toxic I will use it..

This is what I'm finding difficult to determine also...the shortest way I can describe paraben free, SLS free and basically completely chemical free makeup (without using the 'chemical' word as it can be off putting) is by using the term 'natural ingredient', but you are not convinced by this term, miss conception ?

They are the most over-used non-specific terms.  Never trust a label...always read the ingredients and you would have to figure it out for yourself what they are.

Yes the term natural is over used and in the commercial industry it is misused and abused terribly. Which is why it is a shame for makeup and skincare that is truly made from plant ingredients without chemicals, as many people are not convinced that the claim is true! The law should be changed on labelling cosmetic products as not everyone looks at the list of ingredients in each product before buying like we do. The part of the label people can trust though is the 'Certified by' section, where the products I use are certified by the 'Soil Association' which is the governing body for food labels. *mod edited

Originally Posted by LubyLou /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes the term natural is over used and in the commercial industry it is misused and abused terribly.

Which is why it is a shame for makeup and skincare that is truly made from plant ingredients without chemicals, as many people are not convinced that the claim is true!

The law should be changed on labelling cosmetic products as not everyone looks at the list of ingredients in each product before buying like we do.

The part of the label people can trust though is the 'Certified by' section, where the products I use are certified by the 'Soil Association' which is the governing body for food labels.

*mod edited
I don't see how changing laws will make lazy people purchase. If you really care about the ingredients in your beauty products you will learn about them, google them, get familiar with what you certainly are not looking for, then go find it. It's all listed! You just have to know what you're reading. There are cruelty free lables, certified organic lables, PBA free lables, Paraben free lables, sulfate free lables...They mean nothing if you don't pay attention to the actual ingredient lising.

Everyone's definition of 'natural' is different. It's not  always a good word to over use with every client because it's subjective. 

I think it depends on what you want as a customer and what is being sold to you on the packaging.

The first thing I go for is always visually i.e whether I have a colour match for me. I am dark with yellow tones and if i'm not careful I look to ashy, grey, orange or too dark.

Next, I look at the texture which also sometimes happens to affect the colour too. My skin is combination so the texture needs to be right for my skin. I also prefer something not to heavy.

I also prefer an spf so mineral ticks this box for me as it usually has a natural spf.

If a natural make up brand can do all of the above for me then I will always prefer to go for a natural brand over one with chemicals.

Originally Posted by divadoll /img/forum/go_quote.gif

They are the most over-used non-specific terms.  Never trust a label...always read the ingredients and you would have to figure it out for yourself what they are.
I agree with you. Since the go-green revolution had begun i am an ardent buyer of Bodyshop products, i just don't know if their products are all chemical-free. 

Back