Brazillian Keratin Treatment Safe?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I really want to get this product done at my salon, but I have heard some really controversial things against it. Is it really harmful to your health? I would never want to risk my health for a hair procedure. Has anyone ever tried it and have any sort of feedback to share? thank you : )

I have heard alot of controversial things regarding the Brazilian Keratin Treatment so I've been a little hesitant in going to my hair stylist and actually getting the treatment.

So I did a bit of research and found an at home Brazilian Keratin Treatment by a brand of shampoo's and conditioner's called Organix. I currently use their Argan Moroccan Oil conditioner and it works wonders for my hair so I figured this would work great as well.

I purchased the 30 Day Smoothing Treatment, Shampoo, Conditioner and the 14 day smoothing treatment and my hair was pin straight. From some of the reviews I read other people had imiliar results and said it was a fool proof product. Now I'm not sure if your supposed to use all the products in their Brazilian Keratin Treatment line but I only used the ones I purchased. I believe their website is organixhair.com and most of their products are in your local drugstore.

Hope this has helped :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I'm currently using the one from Suave, least the shampoo and condition, but I haven't tried their straightening products yet. Instead of spending so much money on products that may contain formaldehyde just get a drugstore line.

Suave retails for $3.49 to $3.99. The straightening set is like $13.99

Organix Kertain retails for $7.99 each (and it smells delicious to boot).

Originally Posted by thebombshellxx /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I have heard alot of controversial things regarding the Brazilian Keratin Treatment so I've been a little hesitant in going to my hair stylist and actually getting the treatment.

So I did a bit of research and found an at home Brazilian Keratin Treatment by a brand of shampoo's and conditioner's called Organix. I currently use their Argan Moroccan Oil conditioner and it works wonders for my hair so I figured this would work great as well.

I purchased the 30 Day Smoothing Treatment, Shampoo, Conditioner and the 14 day smoothing treatment and my hair was pin straight. From some of the reviews I read other people had imiliar results and said it was a fool proof product. Now I'm not sure if your supposed to use all the products in their Brazilian Keratin Treatment line but I only used the ones I purchased. I believe their website is organixhair.com and most of their products are in your local drugstore.

Hope this has helped :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />
Do you know if you can use the Organix one with color treated/highlighted hair?

I wanted to try the Suave one but you can't use it with color treated/highlighted hair.

No idea about Organix but Suave does have a keratin of colored hair. See my hauls post for the pic from Walgreens display.

Originally Posted by thebombshellxx /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Thanks,I will Try when my Morracan oil Runs out.

The at home stuff is really different from the salon stuff.  If you have very thick/course hair, you will not get the same results.

The dangers in getting the treatment are the same dangers as any other salon treatment - too much exposure and you're bound to have issues.  The client that gets their hair processed over a long period time tends to have the most issues, the dangers is also mostly with the technicians that do the process since they are the ones that are constantly exposed to it.

The average person like you or me do not need to worry.

Here is my take:

I loved it.  I made my hair manageable, smooth, and straight when I wanted it, soft and curly when I didn't want it straight.  Yes, I still needed a straightener/iron to get it flat.

The con is that I felt it made my hair fall out at a more aggressive rate.  I DID NOT go bald or anything, but I shed hair daily (a normal amount on a regular basis) and during the time the keratin was active in my hair I just felt that I lost more of it.

It lasted about 5 months... would I do it again - I'm still on the fence.  I can manage my hair without the Keratin treatment it just takes a little more effort, is that worth the $$ to save time and effort... I don't know... I'm very budget conscience.  If it was more affordable, then yes. I would do it again.

Here's a post I did about it:

https://www.makeuptalk.com/t/117467/my-braziliena-hair-did-keratin-treatment

I can take pics of my hair now (its much, much longer) if you want.

If you have a keratin treatment done in a reputable salon AND you have a clear patch test AND you do not have sensitive skin or a diagnosed skin condition, there is no evidence that it is harmful to health. The chemicals are basically the same ones used to make a curly perm or relaxing AA hair and this has been done for years. A keratin treatment will however affect the condition of your hair -  whatever the supplier or hairdresser says - because it chemically breaks and reforms the protein bonds inside the hair shaft, and this will never reform never as strong as before. The real problems come if you have repeat treatments on the same hair or if you flat iron over the top as any dermatologist will tell you this is very damaging. If you are willing to adjust the rest of your routine to focus on hydration then you can have these treatments without wrecking your hair.

Back