Makeup addiction

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Isn't it so funny how we just get addicted to Makeup and just want more and more? Do you remember how you first started? I'm quite a beginner, have always been into makeup, but started buying professional products and experimenting with makeup in June of last year.  Now, my mum is baffled by the amount of packages I receive!

The first high-end product I bought was the Mac Smolder black eye kohl.  After that, throughout summer and particularly the last few months, I bought tons of new stuff.. Makeup palettes, a NARS bronzer brush, 2 brush sets, Revlon matte lipsticks.. the list goes on.  (This might not sound like a big deal to all of you by the way, but I'm 18 and living on a student budget, so it was a pretty big change of my priorities :p /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />)

And now I totally understand why people even with the biggest collections just CANNOT stop buying new stuff!!! It's SO ADDICTIVE!

Oh Yeah... I like to think of it as one of my many obsessions.... rather than an addiction.... Mine started almost 10 years ago and I've gone through the makeup hording and purging cycles a number of times.... right now I'm down to maybe one life times worth. lol

Originally Posted by Karren /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh Yeah... I like to think of it as one of my many obsessions.... rather than an addiction.... Mine started almost 10 years ago and I've gone through the makeup hording and purging cycles a number of times.... right now I'm down to maybe one life times worth. lol

Haha would love it if you gave more details about these hord/purg cycles :p /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> God who knows what I'll be like in 10 years!

Originally Posted by internetchick /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Hobby is a much nicer word than addiction. :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />
True! Makes me feel a little better :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Mine has turned into a full on addiction. There is no use in even denying it at this point. I've been buying makeup since I was about 11, which I know is just wrong. At 14 I spent $700 at a prescriptives counter in a single visit. And now at 24 my entire bedroom is just a mess of various means to house all my products. I use a 4ft rubbermaid container, then buy office organizers to sort the products. Besides that I just have various train cases and organizer I stack. The worst for me are Urban Decay products, especially if they are on sale. I have over 40 of just the loose pigments alone.

some of my UD stuff. These pics are from 2010 so I have quite a bit more now

Originally Posted by zadidoll /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I'll help you clean Amber. :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> If you don't mind my way of cleaning by helping myself to your collection. :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> LOL

I believe I saw you comment somewhere that your similar to me in that if anyone goes near your collection, they will be threatened with bodily harm >.<

I justify my "addiction" with the fact that I will probably become a freelance mu artist....I'm just getting a head start on my future. Yeah. That sounds convincing..

Honestly, I can't even remember how it started for me... it was 100% about the time that I joined MuT, which was about two years ago (Omg, I can't believe I've been on here [almost daily] for two years!). I wish I could remember the first high end product that started me on this never ending need to buy everything lol =) 

Make up is totally my outlet though, I'm so glad I found something that really interests me

Originally Posted by Amber Blevins /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I believe I saw you comment somewhere that your similar to me in that if anyone goes near your collection, they will be threatened with bodily harm >.<
LMAO That is true. LOL

I was never that into makeup, I just did the basics but then 1 night I couldn't sleep and I started watching random Youtube vids.  I somehow got around to eKore's page and watched every single one of his vids all night long.  Then I stumbled upon this forum and viola..... the obsession began lmao

Mine has turned into a full on addiction. There is no use in even denying it at this point. I've been buying makeup since I was about 11, which I know is just wrong. At 14 I spent $700 at a prescriptives counter in a single visit. And now at 24 my entire bedroom is just a mess of various means to house all my products. I use a 4ft rubbermaid container, then buy office organizers to sort the products. Besides that I just have various train cases and organizer I stack. The worst for me are Urban Decay products, especially if they are on sale. I have over 40 of just the loose pigments alone.

Oh my god, SO jealous!! Maybe mine will look like that one day :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> but one question if you don't mind me asking.. how did you have $700 to spend on MAKEUP when you were 14?

Originally Posted by Ninja /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Oh my god, SO jealous!! Maybe mine will look like that one day :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> but one question if you don't mind me asking.. how did you have $700 to spend on MAKEUP when you were 14?

No your fine! I took drafting & design and engineering courses in high school. My teacher who was a retired engineer hooked me up with a "paid internship"...aka I worked under the table as an Autocad technician making $12 an hour. I did that all through high school so It was nice pay and great experience. The only thing I am more than a makeup addict is a big fat nerd 
stupido.gif

i never really thought i had a problem until i decided to organize my items.  i filled what is basically a tacklebox with just eye shadows and eye accessories (with plenty of overflow).  i'm super cheap and typically buy my eye shadows from the dollar store or on super clearance at the drug store, so it's easy to get out of control.  but makeup is the first place i head to.  blues, purples, browns, pinks, even orange.  i just don't care.

i was surfing around on you tube the other night and came across a video that's ~1/2 hour long.  i can't remember whose it was, but OMG.  she has a TON of makeup.  nothing cheap, either.  i'm talking drawers and drawers of MAC and the like.  she had 2 ikea alex 5 drawer units, 1 ikea alex 9 drawer unit, i think 6 tilt down bins of eye liners and lipsticks/pencils, then another 6 or 12 tilt down bins of make up brushes.  4 plastic 3 drawer units.  every last bit was FULL.  i was floored.  then i made my husband watch part of it so he would realize i don't really have all *that* much.  :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

i'm sitting on an elf order at the moment, waiting to get the girl's portion of the order tomorrow.  i almost feel like i'm going to have to start hiding this hobby.

Where did you get the shelves? Very cute! I've been looking for a cute way to showcase and organize my collection..

My addiction started about three years ago with the discovery of Bare Escentuals eyeshadows. I now have a massive collection of those and have since added Coastal Scents and Urban Decay to the hoard. I'm drooling over the Urban Decay in those pics. That has become a major favorite.

I started around 13-14yo.  My grandmom, mom, and aunt are kinda old fashioned in the sense that you don't leave the house without having your "face" and hair done.  They first introduced me to Mary Kay and from then on I knew I was hooked.  I started collecting books from artists and then started expanding on my collection from there.  I'm new to these forums though but so love the community you ladies have. 

Wanna hear something REALLY sad?

I recently decided it would be a good idea to start writing my will and get home insurance in the event of something happening....I want my family to be taken care of. Well the Finance counselor at Charles Scwaab asked me to go home and write down all my important possessions and their value as well as debt, so I know my net worth and how much to be insured for. This is the jist of it:

Home: 

Value: $32,000

Paid $30,000 cash. No mortgage, no liens, no debt

Car:

Value: $2,000

Paid $1,200 cash. no debt

Chihuahua (Apparently pets count)

Value $1,800

Paid $1,400 cash. no debt

Makeup collection

Value roughly $9,000

Paid roughly $7,000