Do you have a media kit for your blog?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

internetchick

Beauty Blogger
Reaction score
I don't, and I'm beginning to think it is a big mistake. I read this article, and am going to try and make one for myself. I blog as a hobby and passion, but if it could become something more I am open to that too. Any tips if you have one?

I do not and I should. I've just recently been approached by a company and been offered to be flown and given a tour of their facilities. Can't say which since I'm working details out with them now.

I have been approached about ad space, but not by a company like you mentioned. Sounds awesome! It looks like it might be simple enough to do.

Originally Posted by zadidoll /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I do not and I should. I've just recently been approached by a company and been offered to be flown and given a tour of their facilities. Can't say which since I'm working details out with them now.

Oh how neat! Remember us little people when you are hosting your own show! :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Originally Posted by internetchick /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I don't, and I'm beginning to think it is a big mistake. I read this article, and am going to try and make one for myself. I blog as a hobby and passion, but if it could become something more I am open to that too. Any tips if you have one?
I dont know how you ladies do it. I've never been good at blogging no matter how hard I tried. Just not enough time in the day. 

It's okay though, I'm content being one of the unwashed masses clinging to every word. :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

LMAO As if that would ever happen! If this works out and I do go I'll make sure to do a write up for MUT. I need a new camera though or a new phone with a better built in camera. lol

LOL Pancua you are too funny! Do you still have your blog up? Maybe all you need is some people helping you get started. The world is big enough for many bloggers,so why can't we all just help each other out? :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Originally Posted by zadidoll /img/forum/go_quote.gif

LMAO As if that would ever happen! If this works out and I do go I'll make sure to do a write up for MUT. I need a new camera though or a new phone with a better built in camera. lol

Originally Posted by internetchick /img/forum/go_quote.gif

LOL Pancua you are too funny! Do you still have your blog up? Maybe all you need is some people helping you get started. The world is big enough for many bloggers,so why can't we all just help each other out? :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />
Nah, mine was a crafty blog, I've long since nuked it. Now I just share my thoughts on here, Plurk and Facebook. :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

THis is a super interesting idea. I am training to become a journalist and honestly never even thought of doing a media kit..shame on me!

Heh, media kits were my bread and butter when I was freelancing. Of course, that's part of my "business plan" for the blog I'm currently gestating....while I don't intend it to be a huge profit base, the branding is part of a five-year plan :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I can ask my sister if she does, but I don't think so.  I know she's been able to visit a few different companies (as well as being invited to things in Europe and Asia) due to her blogging.  I've never heard her say anything about a media kit though.   I think most companies get the info they need from her website and youtube channel, and find out any more information through e-mail directly from her. I know that she's received media kits from companies, but I think it's more because the companies use her as a vessel to distribute information, rather than her distributing background blog info through their companies.

so interesting follow up. I actually ended up at a dinner with 3 established bloggers tonight.  Two didn't have a media kit, one did (the largest of the 3) and said, that if anything, it's important for you to have a media kit so people have some sort of idea where to gauge you, even if they've never heard of you.  But it's especially important if you DO have a following that is worth showing to a PR rep.  (Guarantee you there are people in this planet, who do not know who Michelle Phan is, but if you list her credentials to anybody, they'll realize that she's gotten to be a pretty big deal, even if they're not familiar with the beauty industry)

It's hard if all you are is a name and a blog, but if you have a well established following, it helps to let people know so they can try to compare it with other facets of advertising that they ARE familiar with, as well as compare with other bloggers who they might be in contact with.

Do you need a media kit to become successful? no.

Can a media kit help you? yes. especially if you have a stronger following than it looks like on the surface.

I have a simple one page media kit with analytics information and demographics information. That's about it. It takes a few minutes to write up if you really think you want one! :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I should take the time to put together a media kit, but my blog doesn't have a large amount of followers, so I dunno. 

ladygrey,

You could consider just putting demographics together. Something like 50% from United States, 30% from Canada, %female, etc. You can get some of that data from Google Analytics.

Okay so I am going to ask what is probably a really dumb question; what exactly entails a media kit? 
icon_redface.gif

Originally Posted by Pancua /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Okay so I am going to ask what is probably a really dumb question; what exactly entails a media kit? 
icon_redface.gif
It's essentially a tool you use to market yourself to advertisers and to PR contacts. Usually it would include any press mentions you've gotten, and some of the information you have derived from your analytics, as well as a "mission statement" so that people can see what you're all about.

Thank you for posting the link to the article! I had never considered something like this, even though I have been asked these types of questions before. I've never considered us big enough to have something like this put together, and we just blog for fun. But if I do get asked again in the future, it would be great to actually have some answers put together. And references.

I do! I've only had my blog for 27 days! I can't get advertisemnt on my site or anything like that because I'm with wordpress.com.. But I can still make money with affiliate links I believe, but I'm not so focused on the money, I am in a way since I want to buy a domain but, I guess that it can wait! I post everyday. EDIT: Links to your personal blog are against MUT ToS. -MissJexie

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back