Sign in to follow this  
internetchick

Preferred platform, Blogger or Wordpress?

I started with Blogger, because everyone I knew blogging at the time used it. I sometimes wonder if I should have gone with Wordpress, because so many hosting sites use it. My only concern with moving now would be that Google no longer allows Google Friend Connect to be used on non Google sites.

I've used both and while I prefer Wordpress since you can do so much more with it (especially if you have your own domain and access to the server) Blogger is much more tied in with Google as it's owned by Google. I use Blogger (Blogspot) as a result but if I choose to get my own domain and server again I would go with Wordpress.

Currently, the only real advantage to Blogger over WP is the Google Friend Connect, since that gives a measurable way to count "readers". If you're on WP, you can do various analytics, use Facebook, or check RSS stats, but GFC provides a hard number, whether it is accurate or not. But isn't GFC being phased out for Google Plus anyway?

I have my own domain already, but would like my own hosting. I didn't know about Google plus. I have read it is super easy to import your blogger blog to wordpress, so maybe if the only advantage is GFC then no biggie?

Importing from Blogger to WP is indeed easy. You might loose some formatting unless WP fixed that issue (I haven't had my own domain or server in a few years nor have I used WP in at least two to three years).

I read that the newest version of Wordpress is even easier to import Blogger. I just want to be taken seriously as a Blogger, and I think I need to get off of Blogger to do it.

I think I would have to agree with you. I love Blogspot because it's so easy to use but to be taken as a serious blogger it requires something other than Blogspot.

Originally Posted by internetchick View Post

I have my own domain already, but would like my own hosting. I didn't know about Google plus. I have read it is super easy to import your blogger blog to wordpress, so maybe if the only advantage is GFC then no biggie?

BIG OLE EDIT!!!!

You USED to be able to set up Blogger to host on your own, now it appears you can only set your domain up for a blog that remains hosted on blogspot. Mea Culpa!

I'm not familiar with hosted Wordpress sites, but as far as owning your own domain and hosting, Wordpress is amazing. I have been using it since the first year it was released. There are so many free plugins and ways to customize/enhance your wordpress site. And if you know some light web coding, it's easily tweakable.

I'm a little sad about losing my GFC box, but I think more people follow me via facebook anyways.

I know a little about customizing code, but not much. I am not afraid to learn or Google what I need to. I am going to go to Wordpress. *gulp* I hope my blog doesn't take too much of a dip in readership at first. I have already notified my blog readers, so there is time to adjust. I have noticed a few people I read on GFC are not Blogger sites, so I need to make sure I am following them in other ways.

Honestly, Wordpress is SUPER Easy. I used it originally just because it had built-in pages and a blogroll (showing my age here). You'll get the hang of it in NO time.

(And while I did join your site via GFC, I was using the RSS feed to actually read it anyway)

Thanks, and thanks for the blog support. :) I feel like a total tool, because I set up RSS but never check it. I should to see how many subscribe that way. I usually don't have too muich issue learning any software, and between Google and YouTube anyone can be a jack of all trades lol. Right now I am currently learning Lightroom.

I did think of something that MIGHT be an issue for you. Do you do a lot of linking back to your previous posts? If so, you're gonna wanna check to make sure those links are still valid after the switch.

I do. I have to go over each post, because i plan to move my photos to my web host instead of Picasa.

How's the transfer going? Ready to throw your computer out the window yet? :D

LOL! Right now I am waiting on the domain transfer to go through. My husband just bought a bunch of stuff to give my computer a huge upgrade, so I can't do much blog related until he is done sometime today. Right now I am stuck on my tablet.

LOL! Right now I am waiting on the domain transfer to go through. My husband just bought a bunch of stuff to give my computer a huge upgrade, so I can't do much blog related until he is done sometime today. Right now I am stuck on my tablet.

Yay computer upgrades! 

Does anybody know if it is possible to migrate your blog from one google account to another?

I currently have my blog on one of my personal email accounts and want to move it so it is on the email associated with my blog. Oh brother. 

I started with blogger and I still use blogger, but Wordpress is definitely better. It allows to you customize with whatever you want. I have some websites on wordpress and they do much better. It's just that I blog for fun so I don't think I will move my blogger.

I read that the newest version of Wordpress is even easier to import Blogger. I just want to be taken seriously as a Blogger, and I think I need to get off of Blogger to do it.

Funny you're mentioning it because FashionToast, one of the most popular fashion blogs just changed from Blogger to Wordpress...

hmm I have worked on someones WP b4 but I didn't seem to like it so I started my own blog at blogspot.. wounder if I should make a blog at WP to test it out and see which I like better.

Blogger is definitely more user-friendly and it's easier to customize your blog without having to know a ton of html. I think wordpress is meant for the more knowledgable in html bloggers!

teafeathers.blogspot.com

Sign in to follow this  

• NARS Cosmetics Shop Cargo Cosmetics Today!

About MakeupTalk®

© 2003-2020 MakeupTalk.com®, an active online community and message board geared towards members wanting to discuss everything to do with makeup, cosmetics, product reviews, monthly subscription boxes and general beauty related topics. Our community provides product reviews, makeup and general beauty tips. Our most popular topics are subscription boxes and their monthly spoilers. Join our community for free to take part in the conversations and share your own beauty tips and product reviews with others. We look forward to seeing you online here at Makeuptalk®!

MakeupTalk® Facebook

Eye Makeup Reviews

[[Template advancedfooter/front/blocks/pagesBlock is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Lips

[[Template advancedfooter/front/blocks/pagesBlock is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Makeup Brushes and Tools