Cleaning Brushes

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Various ways really - there are DIY (do it yourself) methods and store bought brush cleaners that range from alcohol based cleaners to non-alcohol based cleaners. If you use the search field at the top and type "brush cleaning" there are 10 topics on the matter (well there are more but those are the top 10 that pop up).  Here's one I wrote DIY: Inexpensive brush cleaner a while back.

I spray mine after using them with a brush cleaner that dissolves product and stops bacteria, then I clean them with water and dish soap. Keeps them happy and healthy.

It's recommended that you have a "spot cleaner" and a "deep cleaner" for your brushes.

Spot cleaners are usually alcohol based, so you can spray it on your brush after every use to clean off excess color, and it dries quickly enough to be used the next day. Spot cleaners are the ones sold in spray bottles, or they have inexpensive recipes so you can make one yourself. There's several different recipe variations, but here's a link to the recipe I use, which I like a lot!

Also, a lot of people don't do this but it's very important that you don't lay your brushes on the side after deep cleaning them! The water from rinsing the brush will seep into the handle and loosen the glue in there, leading to lots of bristle fallout. no bueno! Some people hang theirs up upside down on a hanger with clothespins, but I bought the brush guards used in the above video and they're wonderful! They also sell them at walmart.

Good luck!

I have enough brushes to last me an entire week without re-using.  On the weekend, I wash them with liquid castile soap. 

I find that dish soap works wonders. I've used "Pink Soap" many times and its still not as good as plain old dish soap. Also, if you decide to use olive oil only use a tiny bit. I used to much and my brushes fell apart :/

At Sephora we would use Philosophy's Purity cleanser to clean brushes because it was so gentle. Haha. Works great! Also great for shaving. A great multi-use product.

Thank you for this!

Originally Posted by dorna /img/forum/go_quote.gif

It's recommended that you have a "spot cleaner" and a "deep cleaner" for your brushes.

Spot cleaners are usually alcohol based, so you can spray it on your brush after every use to clean off excess color, and it dries quickly enough to be used the next day. Spot cleaners are the ones sold in spray bottles, or they have inexpensive recipes so you can make one yourself. There's several different recipe variations, but here's a link to the recipe I use, which I like a lot!

Latest posts

Back