How do you apply Foundation?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I used to use the sponge wedges, but then a makeup artist told me that's waste of product and that I should just use my fingers. Does anyone else do this?!

I use sponges- it is not a waste or products, but if you really want precise coverage, I would use my fingers

Fingers definitely. Sponges are more for if you're doing someone else's/ multiple peoples faces so as not to spread bacteria. But your own fingers on your own is fine (wash your hands before)! I used a flat foundation brush for special occasions because the coverage tends to be better/heavier, but I always end up blending spots with my fingers anyway to even it out. :)

I used to use a flat foundation brush but it always looked so heavy, which I didn't like.  So now I use the Sephora #55 brush and LOVE it!  Thinking of actually buying another one.  Makes my foundation look more airbrushed, and it's really quick and easy too.  But if my options were fingers or sponge, I'd go fingers--I always thought the sponge soaked up too much foundation and wasted it, and you couldn't get quite as precise, or ended up with too much foundation in some spots and not enough in others. 

I was using my fingers, but it was too heavy for me doing that, so now I use a Sigma brush. Seems like it should be the other way around but not for me. I would like to get another Beauty Blender though, I really liked the way it looked using that. My cat got to it and now it's shredded up!!

I used the wedge sponges for a long time...but now I use my fingers, it seems to work better. 

Originally Posted by kissamakeup /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Fingers definitely. Sponges are more for if you're doing someone else's/ multiple peoples faces so as not to spread bacteria. But your own fingers on your own is fine (wash your hands before)! I used a flat foundation brush for special occasions because the coverage tends to be better/heavier, but I always end up blending spots with my fingers anyway to even it out. :)

Yup.  This!

Nothing is wrong with fingers or a brush however both of these leave streak marks, so tap them out with a sponge. If you don't want the sponge absorbing a lot of your product squeeze water into t before using.

I stipple.  

I use a MAC 187 brush and "tap" the foundation on.  The flat brush "paints" it on a little too heavy for my tastes.  

Debby

I use the Real Techniques Expert Face Brush. It's a great brush, better than my other, high end brushes and it's only $8.99.

I use a large flat foundation brush to apply liquid and cream, then a stipple to blend..or a beautyblender for liquid..fingers or concealer brush for concealers... I think my stipple brush gets the most mileage and that is just the cheapo ELF one..works just as good as my high end one.

Well, there is really no right or wrong way to apply your foundation, but there's pros and cons to each technique.

I work in the union film world, and we have very strict protocols, so it's foundation brushes and air brushes for foundation.

I love my sigma f80 more than any other brush i have, but essence of beauty makes a great "beauty blender" knockoff for $4.99 that's great too! it's also SUPER SMALL so it gets product everywhere and is infused with vitamin E so if you're into sponges i'd go with that one! most sponges always soak up my foundation.

Every product is different and requires an application technique that may be different than another . using brushes is great however they leave streak marks behind that the camera picks up these need to be , tapped, patted or stippled out you pick the adjective. I have paid obscene amounts of money for brushes and bought craft brushes as well as everything in between there are some amazing brushes on the market if I were starting right now I would be picking up Eco tools, not expensive and a nice quality.

I used to use a flat top brush-the target brand one- and really liked that with BB creams; However, now that i'm using foundation again, I use my fingers because I feel a tad bit more sanitary, and I can better control how much of it I put on my face. Like the saying goes, "Whatever floats your boat!" 
smile.gif

Latest posts

Back