I took one look at my collection...

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
And it became really obvious that I needed to go on a no-buy. I have so much stuff, and some of it has barely even been used! I checked the mail this morning, and the giant elf order I had placed last week had arrived. So, that's even more stuff that has found its way into my collection. Plus, I just ordered some stuff from MAC! o_O

I was originally going to be going on a low-buy for 3 months, but after taking inventory, it's become apparent that a no-buy is what I need instead. So, here are the things for my 6 month no-buy that begins on March 1 that I hope will help me succeed!

1. My husband and I are hooking up all of our accounts to Mint.com. Basically, he'll now be able to see everything I buy, so since I won't be able to keep a lot of my purchases on the down low, I think this will really help me think twice if I consider buying anything.

2. I'm deleting all emails from any makeup-related websites. If I don't know what kinds of deals Sephora is having, I certainly won't be tempted! I'm actually considering having my husband password block all sites like Ulta and Sephora.

3. I'm avoid Sephora and the cosmetic sections of all stores. If I run out of something that I don't have a backup of (which is really, really unlikely), then I'll venture into the cosmetic section with my husband in tow--he's really good at talking me out of any impulse buys.

4. I'm deleting all of my makeup subs except for my Birchbox. I think having one thing arriving each month will help me get through.

5. I'm not going to limit myself to a project 10 pan. I tried this in the past, and I ended up getting really bored with the 10 products I was working through, so I ended up buying stuff. I'm going to be continuing my project purge, but any products I have will be used. I think that having a lot of variety will help me make it through a no-buy successfully.

If anyone else has done a no-buy and has any advice, I'd love to hear it! :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

You are a brave soul. I REALLY need to do this. I cannot cancel my subscriptions, I will be so bored...plus I have a year of birchbox.  But I'm hoping I can manage at least for the month of March to not buy anything, other than my subscriptions. 

Just looking at my collection growing has convinced me to go on a no buy for a couple months!

When I got to MUT, this is what I had:

Then it transformed into this:

That quickly grew into this:

And as of today:

hahahaha, oh my! MuT is definitely not a good place to try and go on a no buy. In the month and a half or so that I've been posting here, I have purchased SO MUCH STUFF. I've always been a shopaholic, but this is not helping. I don't think I can resist Ulta, though. At least not for more than 2 weeks. 

Me 2! I need to stick to my subs for March. Its gonna be hard...I don't know how long I can stay away from sephora. I will do my best to support you if i see you being naughty

Originally Posted by Playedinloops /img/forum/go_quote.gif

You are a brave soul. I REALLY need to do this. I cannot cancel my subscriptions, I will be so bored...plus I have a year of birchbox.  But I'm hoping I can manage at least for the month of March to not buy anything, other than my subscriptions. 

Yikes! You have been naughty, I love it!

Originally Posted by Pancua /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Just looking at my collection growing has convinced me to go on a no buy for a couple months!

When I got to MUT, this is what I had:

Then it transformed into this:

That quickly grew into this:

And as of today:

I keep thinking about how big my polish collection has gotten since last September when I moved...and I'm ashamed now, lol. I had MAYBE 10 bottles last summer. I now have close to 100. : 

WoW Pan! I love the progression pictures! You certainly have a lot now!

Ladygrey - I'm doing the same thing and I wish you the best! I cancelled all but BA. I broke my no-buy though and bought the salon express nail stamper, a bottle of essie luxeffects, Sally's Gem crush in big money and a set of peacock press-ons. OH and Physicians formula Kohl liner. Im proud though that the only "makeup" I bought were the kohl liners! I almost bought the shimmer strip in Waikiki strip! I put it back though!

I bought 13 bottles of nail polish in January
eek.gif

I keep thinking about how big my polish collection has gotten since last September when I moved...and I'm ashamed now, lol. I had MAYBE 10 bottles last summer. I now have close to 100. : 

You have a great plan in place. I wish you luck! I think deleting all the emails will be very helpful. Every morning I wake up to all these emails w/ sales & its hard not to resist.

Originally Posted by ladygrey /img/forum/go_quote.gif

And it became really obvious that I needed to go on a no-buy. I have so much stuff, and some of it has barely even been used! I checked the mail this morning, and the giant elf order I had placed last week had arrived. So, that's even more stuff that has found its way into my collection. Plus, I just ordered some stuff from MAC! o_O

I was originally going to be going on a low-buy for 3 months, but after taking inventory, it's become apparent that a no-buy is what I need instead. So, here are the things for my 6 month no-buy that begins on March 1 that I hope will help me succeed!

1. My husband and I are hooking up all of our accounts to Mint.com. Basically, he'll now be able to see everything I buy, so since I won't be able to keep a lot of my purchases on the down low, I think this will really help me think twice if I consider buying anything.

2. I'm deleting all emails from any makeup-related websites. If I don't know what kinds of deals Sephora is having, I certainly won't be tempted! I'm actually considering having my husband password block all sites like Ulta and Sephora.

3. I'm avoid Sephora and the cosmetic sections of all stores. If I run out of something that I don't have a backup of (which is really, really unlikely), then I'll venture into the cosmetic section with my husband in tow--he's really good at talking me out of any impulse buys.

4. I'm deleting all of my makeup subs except for my Birchbox. I think having one thing arriving each month will help me get through.

5. I'm not going to limit myself to a project 10 pan. I tried this in the past, and I ended up getting really bored with the 10 products I was working through, so I ended up buying stuff. I'm going to be continuing my project purge, but any products I have will be used. I think that having a lot of variety will help me make it through a no-buy successfully.

If anyone else has done a no-buy and has any advice, I'd love to hear it! :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Pancua: Oh my gosh, that's the exact same thing that my collection has done! I think after the rest of my items that I ordered arrive, I'll post a picture of my collection at the start of the no-buy! I now have an embarrasingly large amount of beauty stuff.

Playedinloops: I feel you--ever since I joined this site, my hauls have become pretty epic. I buy stuff all the time now, and the people in my apartment office tease me about getting packages. I know it's all good and fun, but honestly, I get pretty embarrassed when I have to go down there to pick something up. Once it was 4 boxes. 4!!

Isabelsjewelry: Good luck to you too, and hopefully in this no-buy forum we can offer support to each other! I'm only keeping one sub, too. And don't worry, just gotta hop back on board the no-buy bus! I bought a ton of MAC stuff today, so don't feel too bad. Even though my no-buy technically starts on Thursday, I've been trying to gradually reduce purchases. 

But on a good news note, I resisted buying some Pixi stuff from Hautelook last night! I had all the items in my cart and was checking out when I was just like, "What the hell am I doing? I don't really even want this crap all that much!" So, I put my card away and closed out of the window. :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> That's a step in the right direction, right?

Playedinloops: I feel you--ever since I joined this site, my hauls have become pretty epic. I buy stuff all the time now, and the people in my apartment office tease me about getting packages. I know it's all good and fun, but honestly, I get pretty embarrassed when I have to go down there to pick something up. Once it was 4 boxes. 4!!

Bhahahahahahah, omg me too. I have 3 packages to pick up after work today. Our apartment manager keeps a tally of me and one other girl to see who gets the most packages each month, lol. For a few weeks, I was in there every day. It's gotta stop. 

Hahaha, I hope they don't do that with me! But starting in March, they won't have anything to tease me about (hopefully), so I can actually take the rent check down without shame lol. Good luck on cutting back! All of us makeup addicts are definitely going to need it!

Bhahahahahahah, omg me too. I have 3 packages to pick up after work today. Our apartment manager keeps a tally of me and one other girl to see who gets the most packages each month, lol. For a few weeks, I was in there every day. It's gotta stop. 

I don't have an incredibly large amount of make-up, but for what I end up using and the space available in my one-bedroom teeny tiny apartment I should definitely go on a no-buy.  I'm considering buying an Unii palette or something similar to help conserve space.  But shopping is hard to resist... it always seems like there is that one particular type of product I need to get (like an angled eyeliner brush, or a brow powder) and in my hunt for it I find all sorts of other products to splurge on.  At least splurging on Ulta helps in the way of finances compared to splurging at Sephoras. 

Ok, gals, I'm in....like the rest of ya, this board (which I LOVE) has inspired me to the point where I MAY have gotten a bit out of control. So, here it is: In the month of March, I will not pay for any beauty items outside of my subscriptions. This gives me two loopholes: I have a BIG stack of CVS ECBs that I am allowed to use (and if I coupon smartly, can roll them) and I am not deleting any subs this month. I will go ahead and do the Sindulge (at least for this month) and I will be cancelling my second BB after the TV box ships--and I have this funny, sneaking feeling that I will also be cancelling MG after the March billing....so even that will be under control.

Thankfully, I picked up the Capitol Colors Collection today so that I won't be "dying" over that :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

And this doesn't start till March 1st for me. So if I think of anything that I need, I still have tomorrow to pick it up. LOL

Originally Posted by calexxia /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Ok, gals, I'm in....like the rest of ya, this board (which I LOVE) has inspired me to the point where I MAY have gotten a bit out of control. So, here it is: In the month of March, I will not pay for any beauty items outside of my subscriptions. This gives me two loopholes: I have a BIG stack of CVS ECBs that I am allowed to use (and if I coupon smartly, can roll them) and I am not deleting any subs this month. I will go ahead and do the Sindulge (at least for this month) and I will be cancelling my second BB after the TV box ships--and I have this funny, sneaking feeling that I will also be cancelling MG after the March billing....so even that will be under control.

Thankfully, I picked up the Capitol Colors Collection today so that I won't be "dying" over that :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

And this doesn't start till March 1st for me. So if I think of anything that I need, I still have tomorrow to pick it up. LOL
lol capitol colors is the only nail polish I will allow myself to buy! My sister is keeping an eye out at cosmoprof for me, because my sally's has been out. :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> 

I ordered every single color! I'm so freaking excited, I just can't wait. But yeah...12 nail polishes at one time is the most I've ever bought, so hopefully over the next few months I can work on getting that collection under control as well.

lol capitol colors is the only nail polish I will allow myself to buy! My sister is keeping an eye out at cosmoprof for me, because my sally's has been out. :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> 

I ordered every single color! I'm so freaking excited, I just can't wait. But yeah...12 nail polishes at one time is the most I've ever bought, so hopefully over the next few months I can work on getting that collection under control as well.

I bought Zoya's entire true collection and all 3 fleck effects at once, so that was 11 polishes, which is my high. lol I NEED TO BEHAVE.

Haha, ME TOO. Especially since my husband's car has been having some major issues, with repairs that will cost around $1000. This no-buy deal is starting at the perfect time! Now, to make sure it actually is successful...

lol I NEED TO BEHAVE.

Latest posts

Back