Would anyone be interested in a similar Nail Polish Circular Swap??

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I personally am more of a nail polish junkie than make-up/skincare.  I subscribe to Julep, Make Up Monthly for Nails, plus have received nail polish for other beauty boxes I'm subscribed to.  Let me know if anyone is interested.  I think I could manage it, as long as the ladies from the Traveling Sample Box give me some advice : ).

Someone once told me that you can get 20 bottles of nail polish in one of those flat rate boxes at USPS.   Something cool we could do is do a wishlist...that way the person who has the box before you can look through their stuff to see if one of those bottles that you covet is there and they can add it to the box to send on to you, maybe with a wish list alert.

A birthday club was also a great idea I heard of.  Everyone on the list sends a bottle of polish to the birthday girl, hopefully something on her wish list.  Depending on how many people are in the club you could end up with a LOT of nail polish on your birthday and lots of fun nail mail to open.   

Or we could just do a regular polish swap.

Lynda

There are three problems I see with a nail swap.

1. You can't legally send nail polish via USPS priority mail - it must go ground via UPS (or UPS MI) or FedEx.

2. Nail polish is fragile - the wrapping and rewrapping to ensure the items are safe would be difficult if there are more than five polishes in the box.

3. Size & value - not all polish weighs equally or are valued at the same amount. I would hate to see someone put in, example, a Butter London ($18) only for someone else to take it and put in a Wet n Wild (99 cents to $2.99).

I'd totally be down for a nail polish circular swap! I have so much I want to get rid of. I think the wishlist idea is a good one. Also, shipping ground isn't much more expensive than shipping USPS, so it shouldn't be a hindrance. Perhaps limiting how many bottles each person can put in would prevent the box from getting too heavy and shipping costs from getting too high. I honestly wouldn't mind getting a $3 W&W for a $14 BL if it's a color I'd like and would actually wear. If equal value is that important, a direct swap with one person would make more sense.

Quote:

Originally Posted by lolaB /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I'd totally be down for a nail polish circular swap! I have so much I want to get rid of. I think the wishlist idea is a good one. Also, shipping ground isn't much more expensive than shipping USPS, so it shouldn't be a hindrance. Perhaps limiting how many bottles each person can put in would prevent the box from getting too heavy and shipping costs from getting too high. I honestly wouldn't mind getting a $3 W&W for a $14 BL if it's a color I'd like and would actually wear. If equal value is that important, a direct swap with one person would make more sense.
I completely agree!  Just like with our general circular swap we're doing, this is NOT something for someone who's overly concerned with value or getting what you give, it's just a fun informal way to pass along things that aren't right for you and trying new ones...direct swaps are better for situations like that.

Originally Posted by LyndaV /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I personally am more of a nail polish junkie than make-up/skincare.  I subscribe to Julep, Make Up Monthly for Nails, plus have received nail polish for other beauty boxes I'm subscribed to.  Let me know if anyone is interested.  I think I could manage it, as long as the ladies from the Traveling Sample Box give me some advice : ).
You could totally do it, it's pretty easy! We just set up a gmail account for the swap, and we're using googledocs (a spreadsheet) to keep track of everything.  No big deal. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

OK, I have set up a Google group, but I will need to invite anyone who is interested to join so you can get access.  Please PM me your name, mailing address, MUT screen name, and wishlist info (1 or 2 max).  My idea was to make up a list of participants and post on the group site.  I will start the box off with a few bottles of polish and send it to the second on the list.  Box would need to be sent via UPS or USPS Ground  since Zadidoll informed us that we can't send by air.  The second person on the list can take out some polish and replenish with polish they don't want.   The box is then sent to the next person on the list.  Last person on the list sends the box back to the first person.  We could decide then if we want to continue.

Please, no dried up nasty old bottles!  And if you have a polish that you no longer want that is on someone's wish list it would be really cool if we could put it in the box with that persons' name on it so they get their wish list polish when the box comes to them.  Also as LolaB and YouSoldTheWorld mentioned the idea isn't to match cost dollar for dollar...it is to trade polish you don't want for polish that you want.  Remember one persons' trash is another persons treasure!  

If anyone else has any other ideas or requests on how this circle swap should go let me know.  I don't want this to get too complicated cause its supposed to be fun.  This is the first time I've ever done anything like this so I am totally open to suggestions.  If we have a lot of people who want to join in I may need to split this into a couple different groups.

Thanks,

LyndaV

A suggestion... if the box is not limited to just nail polish then how about adding nail related products? That includes nail appliques, nail jewels, cuticle creams, top coat, base coat, mattifying polishes and related items.

Originally Posted by zadidoll /img/forum/go_quote.gif

A suggestion... if the box is not limited to just nail polish then how about adding nail related products? That includes nail appliques, nail jewels, cuticle creams, top coat, base coat, mattifying polishes and related items.

Great idea Z Doll!

How many bottles should each box contain? I would say four to be able to bubble wrap each one etc. If there is an exact number, will 2 mini  polishes count as one?  

A note on the USPS thing:  You *can* send it via USPS.  You just have to send it via parcel post, and there are special markings you need to put on the box.  This is why Birchboxes that contain perfume and nail polish take a really long time and have the following on the side of the box:

CONSUMER COMMODITY

ORM-D

SURFACE MAIL ONLY

Except Julep's boxes are sent via first class mail and do not have those special markings on them (I don't have a Zoya package handy, so I'm not sure how those are sent), so I'm not sure what the deal is there.

I was working on starting up a Nail Polish Swap but I only got one name and address.  It looks like we have a few others interested?  If so, PM me your name, address, wish list, etc.  I still would be glad to start something.  I think we could even do a circular swap with 5 or so people, what do you guys think?

Thanks,

LyndaV

Latest posts

Back