The Posh Pod discussion

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
We've been sort of hijacking the subscriptions thread, so I figured we may as well jump in here.

I received a VIP invitation today, so I went ahead and took the plunge, seeing as it was through PayPal so I should have some recourse if I need to cancel or the products are not as advertised. Right now, I'm having trouble looking past the cons of this company, but if you tell me "Chanel" I get a little warm and smooshy inside, so I decided to give this company a month (especially since the first month is nearly always the best...)

Here are the cons of what I am seeing so far:

1. Brands - Should we really expect that Chanel and Burberry are going to be sending out deluxe-sized samples to a company registered to an email address along the lines of "foxymomma"?

2. Quality of products - If the products are allegedly Chanel and Burberry, are they discontinued products? Are they genuine? I hate to say it, but I suspect there could be knockoffs...

3. Price - We're paying $29.99 for the products. If it isn't all it's cracked up to be, you could just go ahead and buy a Chanel polish or eyeshadow for that price off their website and know you're getting something good.

4. Website - The website is horrible; I can't lie. I'm not saying that something like Beauty Box 5 is "couture" (lol), but at least they have a polished and professional look, even with a website template.

I have said the website is sketchy since day one. The website is the initial impression for an online business and theirs seem to be made by a 12 year old with some glitter effect and bling. It is terrible.

I hope this ends up being great, I have the same concerns as you. If it doesn't then we can cancel and move on. It is 3 BirchBox's in price which is steep!!

There's a post over in the

• thread that has email from the PoshPod people that makes it clear that the cost is for *membership*, not *product*.  I have a sneaking suspicion based entirely on the photos and that email (read:  nothing substantial) that they may very well be taking signups and money, going to Nordstrom/Macy's/Sephora/etc., asking for samples, and then sending out those samples based on how much stuff they were able to con sales people into giving them, not coordinating with the actual companies to have any sort of actual business model.

I was looking at their pictures on their facebook and saw this:

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=243523575734828&set=a.241842082569644.64626.235072376579948&type=1&permPage=1

I am not a huge mac pigment fan, I have a few but I have never encountered a fake since I buy from the store but there's something about that box that just doesn't feel right.

And then I find this:

http://reviews.ebay.com/DIFFERENCE-BETWEEN-REAL-amp-FAKE-MAC-PIGMENT-PICTURES?ugid=10000000004610292

Now, their pictures could just be misleading but the whole in the pigment looks to be as small as the fake. Maybe I am just looking for a reason to not like them, maybe the pictures are just taken at a weird angle but they really do look fake.

I got my VIP invite and joined. Crossing my fingers that it's good! Do we get to register on their site and make a beauty profile? I see nothing on there like that... 

Their site sort of scares me. 
icon_eek.gif
 I hope this gamble pays off. 
icon_lol.gif

I just read on their facebook that beauty profiles "go out" or something. I think maybe they email you a questionnaire? I have no idea, here is where I saw that:

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=256554031098449&set=a.241842082569644.64626.235072376579948&type=3&theater

Originally Posted by HelloLeilani /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I got my VIP invite and joined. Crossing my fingers that it's good! Do we get to register on their site and make a beauty profile? I see nothing on there like that... 

Their site sort of scares me. 
icon_eek.gif
 I hope this gamble pays off. 
icon_lol.gif

Do they charge you immediately? I mean like since I PayPal'ed will the charge go through Monday/Tuesday or do they wait until, I guess April, if I'm not getting anything until May's Posh Pod? Their site is super confusing but I know I certainly don't want to pay to "be a member" for two months in a row ($60!) before I'm graced with a package in the mail. lol. 

I don't know why I pressed the button to join when it all seems so questionable. I think it was the promise of Chanel, and full sized Nars samples, in a Victoria's Secret traincase. 
icon_lol.gif

I emailed to ask. I don't mind being billed now if my package goes out in April. That's normal enough. 

Its a bit sketchy to me too because they opened their FB page just last month and launching this subscription so soon. Idk

We just love to gamble I guess. LOL

Well the money was taken from me right away since I had money in PayPal, I am not sure how it works if you don't have money in there but I think it pays them right away and then goes through you bank account, you might not see a charge for a few days.

I honestly don't think there will be Chanel and Nars. If BB doesn't work with them (not saying that BB DOES want to work with them), I don't see how some little glittery website can work with them, just my 2 cents. $30 is a lot to gamble and I have no idea why I took it, I guess the same as you, the promise.

BUT, you pay with a PayPal subscription and they're SUPER easy to cancel, you don't even have to go through the company to cancel it, so essentially, if the box sucks, you can cancel without even hassling with them. Makes it better for us too so they don't have our credit card info.

Do they charge you immediately? I mean like since I PayPal'ed will the charge go through Monday/Tuesday or do they wait until, I guess April, if I'm not getting anything until May's Posh Pod? Their site is super confusing but I know I certainly don't want to pay to "be a member" for two months in a row ($60!) before I'm graced with a package in the mail. lol. 

I don't know why I pressed the button to join when it all seems so questionable. I think it was the promise of Chanel, and full sized Nars samples, in a Victoria's Secret traincase. 
icon_lol.gif

That Chanel photo made me go all warm and fuzzy inside, though! LoL. Yeah... I feel like I'm honestly just signing up out of morbid curiosity. I sort of originally signed up for GGG for the same reason... maybe I'm secretly a beauty masochist. It also would explain the 5-6 inch heels in my closet. :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Originally Posted by glamourdolleyes /img/forum/go_quote.gif

We just love to gamble I guess. LOL

Well the money was taken from me right away since I had money in PayPal, I am not sure how it works if you don't have money in there but I think it pays them right away and then goes through you bank account, you might not see a charge for a few days.

I honestly don't think there will be Chanel and Nars. If BB doesn't work with them (not saying that BB DOES want to work with them), I don't see how some little glittery website can work with them, just my 2 cents. $30 is a lot to gamble and I have no idea why I took it, I guess the same as you, the promise.

BUT, you pay with a PayPal subscription and they're SUPER easy to cancel, you don't even have to go through the company to cancel it, so essentially, if the box sucks, you can cancel without even hassling with them. Makes it better for us too so they don't have our credit card info.

I just MADE SURE I found where the little cancel linkie thing was so I can hit that as soon as things go south. LOL. I do like working through PayPal with something I'm so weary about. We can definitely limit the amount we get screwed this way. 
icon_lol.gif
 Still freaked out. I keep asking myself, "Why did I do this again?" 
icon_eek.gif
icon_lol.gif

Chick must have changed the name.

I'm actually wondering if maybe she works for an outlet with older product samples...

I was so excited about this but the part about how we are paying for membership, not products maked me feel super uncomfortable. If it turns out to be a scam, it will be easy enough to get your money back from paypal.

It seems they charged my account right away.I agree, in that email when they said we are actually paying for the membership and not the products I automatically thought gogogf!  I hope this doesn't turn out to be a similar experience!

I forgot to add that I was emailed a beauty survey. If you signed up for others subs the questions are very similar. They asked about my skin shade, what colors of lipsticks and eyeshadows I prefer, false eyelashes, and how I'd describe my skin and hair.

I got my invite but turned it down. I'm getting bad vibes from this one. I posted this on their Facebook wall and someone from their company replied.

https://www.facebook.com/PoshPod/posts/261259443961241?ref=notif&notif_t=feed_comment A member of Makeuptalk.com posted her email from you and one of the lines that has many of us concerned (since many of us dealt with GoGo Girlfriend) is, "your payment is for the membership not the products".

As I mentioned many of us have dealt with GGG which also claimed you're paying for memberships not products so since November 2011 many subscribers stopped getting boxes, couldn't get refunds and now the company has shut down their Facebook, not answering emails and in many cased have stated to customers they're resume sending boxes out "next week" but never do. The company is now under investigation by several state Attorney Generals for fraud and members who cancelled and either were/are still being are being charged are contacting banks/credit card companies for refunds and in many cases are immediately refunded by the bank/credit card because of all the complaints.

My point is this, the second you get a customer who is unhappy and you tell them "your payment is for the membership not the products" you're going to find complaints lodged against you not with the Better Business Bureau (who can't do anything to companies) but rather with your state Attorney General, the subscriber's ATG and the FCC all of whom CAN do something.

I would suggest to reconsider telling customers they're paying for membership and not products.
  • The Posh Pod Thank you very much for your comments and suggestions. Being a member of Posh Pod is all about the Pods, reviewing of products and being able to receive quality high-end product & giving! Some history on Posh Pod's founders may help to explain why Posh Pod came to be. The owner of Posh Pod is a cancer patient. During her battle the first time around she realized how important it was to use high quality products to avoid additional drying, or burning of the skin & hair worse then it already was from the chemotherapy & radiation treatments. With the chemicals and medications making nails brittle and weak and of coarse finding accessories such as false eyelashes and scarfs that would assist with the additional hair loss and sores that happen during these very invasive treatments. She began by searching and locating things that would help herself and then started to assist others within her group of support. Now, it is a passion and we have born from this Posh Pod. Everyone will now benefit from these products no matter what they are in need of. Regardless the charity aspect of this is still in effect and is needed on a much larger scale. My point is that the Pod is the membership in reality. In the situation you have laid out here, "GGG" has stopped providing the membership benefits. That is like paying country club dues without a country club! This would be upsetting to say the least and warrant investigation. Posh Pod follows a strict and set time frame each month for shipment of products that will not change. If indeed a situation were to occur were an error was made in shipment or inventory the membership fee for that month would be refunded unless some other satisfactory compensation was agreed upon personally with the member. The purpose of my post is not to argue with our policy or your suggestion, as I understand and think both have valid considerations. Rather, this post is to assure those that view this page that unlike many sample box subscriptions you may have tried or seen in the past our purpose is to serve the members of the Posh Pod. To provide a quality line from high end product to consumer no matter what the income bracket is. It is not to sell full size product of the designer's. It is not to advertise or pump up any particular line of product. We are here for one reason and one reason only, for the members. Thank you for your wonderful post "Zadidoll" and thank you to those that took the time to read both of these very important posts. The new blog on Posh Pod will soon show a full story on Posh Pod including the new 501C3 that is following in it's footsteps. It is wonderful to be able to provide a unique service to an industry that has taken a bit of a beating it seems. We may have a home made touch, but that speaks of our heart in this also and I can assure you what is in our Pods is all "POSH"!

Did anyone else notice on PayPal it says, "The Posh Fox" instead of The Posh Pod? 
If you Google The Posh Fox, the first couple things that come up are a facebook page for a cupcake boutque, and an e-bay store for purses and stuff.

I want to sign up, but then I don't because it kind of seems like one of those too good to be true type deals....It seems like the FB page is pushing a lot of perfume samples, and I really do NOT want any perfume samples as I'm up to about 100 of them lying around in my room (and by 100, I do mean I have that many including my full size ones).  Don't get me wrong though, I would LOVE Nars and Chanel samples even if I had to be subject to some perfume samples, but how is this person obtaining such high end samples?  I just wonder if they're going to be kind of old or discontinued because it doesn't seem like these companies really need that much exposure as we already know they are high quality and trustworthy brands. 
Furthermore, out of 12 different subscription companies I'm part of, it is extremely rare to see anything THAT high end being featured as a sample.  I don't know if it's because the sample getters from companies are too intimidated to reach out to really high end brands or just find it easier to get samples from up and coming brands at a reasonable price or no cost. In the pictures, it seems like she only has about 10-15 NARS samples...I wonder if maybe she'll intersperse a few (like 1-2) high end samples among a bunch of crappy low-end samples (like ELF brand or drugstore), but doesn't want to reveal that you may or may not get many high end samples...
It is good that the payments go through paypal so you can easily and readily file a dispute if things go awry.  The suspense will kill me if I don't sign up though...and what if it does actually turn out to be all or most high end samples....I just don't know....$30 is a lot to gamble with especially if another $30 will go through soon again....

Latest posts

Back