It Seems No Glycolic % Too Strong!

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey'a, guys. I was wondering how many of you have had experience using Glycolic Acid long term.

I have been using GA weekly for about a year now. I used to have awful big, fat, boil-type zits that would break out on my VERY oily white skin. So I started with a low % of GA. It stopped my acne almost immediately, and it has evened out my skin tone a little, but I was hoping for more! (in terms of lessening acne scarring). I am on 50% strength now, and, although I experience a little stinging (makes me want to scratch because it feels itchy while it's on), I never get red skin or any sort of peeling of the skin. I still have quite oily skin, and it's almost as if the oil is toning down the effect of the acid. I want to go to an even higher percentage acid, or I would consider trying Salicylic to see if my skin responds better to it. What are your opinions? (This is the internet, everybody has an opinion or 3 or 4...lol).

Thanks ladies.

Michaela

I was using a glycolic peel 50% from Skin Laboratory and then read a thread about the HQ+ peel, so I ordered that and love it. I don't have the details on it -I'm at work - but I love it. It has cleared up my skin and scars better than the glycolic. It does burn, I've been using it for probably half a year, not always consistently but at least 2 - 4 times a month and I still can only keep it on for less than a minute. I do get a little peeling by my nose but I'm ok with that. Check out Skin Laboratory's website if you haven't already.

Hey'a, Jewele. Sorry I took so long to respond. Going away next week and have been a bit busy.

Right, so that sounds interesting. I will look that up, definitely! I will go and look now.

So you found the HQ+ peel much more visibly effective?

smile.gif

I just looked it up, and I was reading their recommendations. They say the HQ+ is great for acne scars (as shown below), but the salicylic covers even more of my problems (blackheads and oily skin!), so I'm wondering if I should go with that instead? Have you tried salicylic?

HQ+: Acne Scars, Actinic Keratosis, Melasma, Oily Skin and Scarring

Salicylic: Acne, Acne Scars, Adolescent Skin, Large Pores & Blackheads, Oily Skin, Psoriasis, Razor Bumps and Warts

They used to send samples out with the orders and one time I got the salicylic 20%. For me personally I didn't notice anything and I didn't even feel anything. The first time I ordered I almost got the salicylic because of the despcription but went for the glycolic 50% from reading reviews on other sites. I noticed more of a difference from the Glycolic than the Salicylic. I used that for a couple of years and it seemed like it stopped working for me. Then I saw the thread for the HQ+ and really like it. But everybodies skin is different so it's hard to say.

They have really good customer service. A lady called me one time after I recieved my order to see how I liked it and she was really really helpful. They might be able to help you decide what to use.

I used to have the same skin issues, my skin was so oily and never clear. I would get large deep acne. I tried so many things and used to get glycolic facials. It seemed everything i tried just stripped too much oil and caused more oil. I never even would use moisturizer because i was afraid it would cause more oil & breakouts. I cant say this enough Clarisonic changed my face! I dont have excessive oil and do not breakout anymore. I use moisturizer daily and night creams. I wish i had gotten it sooner. My skin looks better now than ever.

I agree about the Clarisonic! Your skin can easily get used to a regimen and won't respond as well after awhile. You're already using a very high percentage of glycolic, so I would definitely suggest changing some things up. If you're oily, salicylic can help that better than glycolic acid. If you go too harsh, your skin can over respond and just get worse. I will always recommend the amazing Juice Beauty's Green Apple Peel and their Blemish Clearing Serum. These completely changed my skin. I never dreamed I would ever describe my skin as normal, but 6 months in and virtually no breakouts anymore. No over dry or oily either! I switched to this line when everything else stopped working for me. They are certified organic and everything is naturally derived. I wanted to try a different approach to my skin, and this stuff was my answer. Acne scars gone too! Their peel is so good, it's patented. Good luck! Let us know if you try something new.

I have used glycolic acid products for about 20 years or so. It's great stuff, but if you're looking to zap serious zits, grab some 20% and 30% salicylic acid from Amazon. I've been using it about a month now bc my skin has been horrible this winter. It works like a hot damn. I exfoliate with dry microdermabrasion crystals first - also on amazon. I mix a bit of them in my hand with just plain water til they look almost like a paste and rub them in circles all over my face and neck. I then rinse gently with just tepid water, then let my glycolic acid cleanser sit on my face for 20-30 minutes to further remove the gunk that's clogging my pores. Rinse that off and apply the salicylic acid. It's really helping a great deal. You will notice a difference even after one night. My monthly hormonal breakouts have been drastically reduced, my pores are much smaller, my skin is less oily now than before, and the acid helps larger, under the skin breakouts heal very quickly. They don't even fully surface. Can't even remember the last time I had a whitehead. I normally apply it right before bed bc that's when it's most effective. Overnight. I leave it on all night and wash my face with either Sibu sea buckthorn soap or goats milk soap in the morning. I have been also using pure castor oil on my eyes overnight, but no moisturizer over the salicylic avid on my face at night. The acids I'm using are from Skin Laboratory. I'm ordering some of the TCA peel from amazon shortly. A one ounce bottle is lasting me forever, even though I'm using it every night. My skin is quite oily, dead skin builds up quite quickly on it, and I avoid products like toners etc at all costs. They're brutal on the skin. It also helps a great deal to avoid all foundations/primers/moisturizers/whatever with silicones/dimethicone/etc in them. They do not allow your skin to breath or to excrete toxins, making acne worse. I also use masks I mix up myself which contain oats, clays, essential oils, herbal extracts, etc in between. I don't have to mask as often as I used to, though. I'd avoid the HQ peel on amazon like the plague. Hydroquinone is NOT safe, no matter what you hear discussed in forums. I've seen some horrible after effects on Asian women using that stuff. They wind up with big white patches forming that just keep getting bigger & bigger. Much like a dalmation. Not something you want happening to your skin.

Forgot to mention that the Clarisonic destroyed my skin. It took a long time for me to repair the damage and scarring it left me with because it totally strips the skin. I know several other women who had exactly the same thing happen to them. And it has nothing to do with 'purging' or anything else. It has to do with completely stripping your skin of it's natural oils, which causes more acne. If you've been using glycolic acid for over a year now and can handle a little bit of burning, go for the 30% salicylic acid. I personally like having both on hand. I can dab the 20% on specific spots right before my moisturizer and makeup. It doesnt affect my makeup at all and works on specific spots all day underneath. The 30% I've been using at night mainly, or when I'm at home all day. If you're prone to getting a lot of dead skin around the folds of your nose, I'd apply it lightly in that area. You can remove any peeling skin that comes off with the acid with the microdermabrasion crystals very easily and gently. Just be aware that they are quite strong, even though they look very fine. It's like sandpapering your face :)

Originally Posted by satojoko /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Forgot to mention that the Clarisonic destroyed my skin. It took a long time for me to repair the damage and scarring it left me with because it totally strips the skin. I know several other women who had exactly the same thing happen to them. And it has nothing to do with 'purging' or anything else. It has to do with completely stripping your skin of it's natural oils, which causes more acne.
Hi, I read your posts and was wondering if I could try out your methods.

I have very oily tanned-Asian skin. I used a Skinsonic brush from Sirius Beauty (it's what I found through looking online that was the closest thing to the Clarisonic). It was soft and felt great on my skin. However, my cystic acne flared up in areas I never had acne before and months after I quit using the brush, I'm still fighting constant breakouts. I can't blame it all on the brush b/c I don't know if my skin would've broken out like that anyway (due to diet/stress), but that's what triggered the first mass breakout.

I've used drugstore-strength cleansers and ointments w/ 2% salicylic acid. Currently, I'm trying to clear my skin w/ mass amounts of benzoyl peroxide (like advised on acne.org) but I don't think I'll continue once I run out of this container of ointment b/c it's ripping my skin apart (so much dryness - which is expected on this "regimen" so I'll stick it out until I run out of the bp).

I've been looking into glycolic acid for a while now but have never tried it. In your opinion, do you think I should try a low-dose glycolic acid lotion/serum (5~8%) or try a higher-dose salicylic acid product?

I'd appreciate any suggestions you might have :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Hydroquinone....Ok, just thinking out loud here, but that's the active ingredient in Porcelana, which is a fade/lightening cream, so it's not surprising (to me) that some women are experiencing depigmentation and white patches.

Latest posts

Back