Sign in to follow this  
Playedinloops

April 2012 No-Buy Support

Since some of us (me) failed massively in March, some of us are doing more than one month, and others may want to join in, here is your no-buy support for the month of April!

Its a new month and we can do it this time! 

Already failing, lol. Reopened my second Beauty Army account. 

And I have to go to Wal-greens and cvs today. I have some great coupons for covergirl and loreal and they are both on sale. OH NO.

Does monthly subscriptions include in this or should I skip a month? lol I wasn't active in the last thread but I'd love to stop spending!!

Originally Posted by Playedinloops View Post

Already failing, lol. Reopened my second Beauty Army account. 

And I have to go to Wal-greens and cvs today. I have some great coupons for covergirl and loreal and they are both on sale. OH NO.

Sales come and go, coupons come and go. You aren't going to miss any good deals that won't come again, keep that in mind! Buying something just because you have a coupon for it is the exact opposite of what couponing is supposed to be about. :)

Originally Posted by mszJessica View Post

Does monthly subscriptions include in this or should I skip a month? lol I wasn't active in the last thread but I'd love to stop spending!!

A no buy is what *YOU* want it to be. For me, sub programs don't count, going out and spending money needlessly when I have a ton of cosmetics I have yet to use is why I am on a no buy.

Yeh my fault is always buying something when I have a coupon just to get a discount when I never even needed the item! I did get a coupon for ulta though and I was eyeing a few items that i wanted if they still have them but I have stayed away from spending money carelessly other than buying food and subscriptions lol

Yeh my fault is always buying something when I have a coupon just to get a discount when I never even needed the item! I did get a coupon for ulta though and I was eyeing a few items that i wanted if they still have them but I have stayed away from spending money carelessly other than buying food and subscriptions lol

It's hard at first, the first 2 weeks of my no buy where filled with temptations but after awhile, you just train yourself to not even put yourself in temptation's path. It helped that I have another goal as well. I have a cruise coming up in May and I want to have a really good time without having to be worried about funds. Alaska comes rarely, sales on cosmetics are monthly, at least. The trade off wasn't hard for me. :)

Today makes 32 days on my no buy and my end date is June 1st so I still have quite a ways to go. But if you really want to be on a no buy, be truthful to yourself. Do you REALLY want to be on one? No sense on making yourself feel bad if you already know you are not going to keep to it, ya know?

That's so true! I usually miss using the coupons anyway & I've stayed myself away from stores so I don't buy. I would like to save up to go to Portugal but I always feel like it's so expensive when I see the ticket prices lol. I'll be putting a note on my mirror to remind myself not to spend so that I will save :) Have fun on your cruise!!

That's so true! I usually miss using the coupons anyway & I've stayed myself away from stores so I don't buy. I would like to save up to go to Portugal but I always feel like it's so expensive when I see the ticket prices lol. I'll be putting a note on my mirror to remind myself not to spend so that I will save :) Have fun on your cruise!!

Every little bit counts! I was spending close to $150 - $200 a month on cosmetics according to my bank statements from Dec to Feb. I was SHOCKED at the amount, that's at least $450 on the low end! So I switched some stuff around, canceled some subs that I didn't like and I used that money to buy my SO and I a really cute room at a B&B not far from the pier we will be boarding for our cruise. The money saved is also taking us to the restaurant 13 coins  for the night before boarding.

Travel plans can be really daunting, the best way to go about it is to write down each item needed (i.e. airplane tickets, hotel, car, etc etc) and start calling around, get an idea of what prices *could* be (find out if its high season or low season, this will tell you if prices will go up or down when you are there). Then make an envelope for each segment. That has been one of the best ways I have been able to save up for big trips. Keeping the money in my bank account never worked out, I needed the money to just not be there so having it in cash at the house meant I couldn't accidently spend it on one of my mad shopping runs which also means my mad shopping runs weren't so bad. :)

Just some ideas to ponder. Mine are far from perfect but they work for me. 

I'm one of the people who massively failed during March lol. It's been one week since I've actually purchased anything, and I'm feeling pretty good about it. I have a long list of wants at MAC, Sephora, and Ulta, but I know that they're going to be there whenever I finish this thing, and I probably won't even want a lot of them. I really, really need to get serious about a no-buy this time. I just found out that my husband might have to go back to Austin to finish his dissertation next spring, so that would leave us with paying two rents. I'm not going to have funding (really rare for master's students in my program to get it), he's going to be making 1/3 of what he does now at his internship, so yeah. We really need to save money hardcore until then, and not buying beauty crap will definitely help out with that. 

I don't know if you guys want to do this, but I'm going to post a picture of my stash on here, just so I can be constantly reminded that I really, really don't need anything lol. 

I resisted temptation at wal-greens and cvs on all cosmetics. I however did not resist the 4 for $10 on coke products at CVS. Crazy good price for anyone who drinks soda.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ladygrey View Post

I'm one of the people who massively failed during March lol. It's been one week since I've actually purchased anything, and I'm feeling pretty good about it. I have a long list of wants at MAC, Sephora, and Ulta, but I know that they're going to be there whenever I finish this thing, and I probably won't even want a lot of them. I really, really need to get serious about a no-buy this time. I just found out that my husband might have to go back to Austin to finish his dissertation next spring, so that would leave us with paying two rents. I'm not going to have funding (really rare for master's students in my program to get it), he's going to be making 1/3 of what he does now at his internship, so yeah. We really need to save money hardcore until then, and not buying beauty crap will definitely help out with that. 

I don't know if you guys want to do this, but I'm going to post a picture of my stash on here, just so I can be constantly reminded that I really, really don't need anything lol. 

So you won't be coming with him? Bummer, we could have met up for lunch or something. :(

Post away! Anything that helps you stay on your no buy is fair game!!

I resisted temptation at wal-greens and cvs on all cosmetics. I however did not resist the 4 for $10 on coke products at CVS. Crazy good price for anyone who drinks soda.

Yay!!

The Ulta sample set is KILLING me- Trying to hold off until I get my SS box, hoping it will either fulfill the surprise goodies craving or that by the time I get the box Ulta won't be offering the samples;)

I think I did okay in March- I did get some lip butters and a nail polish at Ulta, used my Dermstore and BeautyBar coupons for the microfoliant and a bunch of Fekkai travel sizes to take on my honeymoon, and picked up a skincare set from TheBalm at Marshall's, but overall it was nothing like last month so I feel really good about things overall.

Unfortunately, I KNOW April will be bad- I'm going to Sephora on Wednesday to consult about and buy foundation for my wedding (thank goodness that the 15% coupon is happening now!) and I'm still trying to find the perfect nail polish and eyeshadow, too... But fortunately I got really good in March about stopping and asking myself why I wanted to buy something. Hopefully that'll make this month a little easier on the debit card :)

Good luck, ladies!

Originally Posted by sprite9034 View Post

The Ulta sample set is KILLING me- Trying to hold off until I get my SS box, hoping it will either fulfill the surprise goodies craving or that by the time I get the box Ulta won't be offering the samples;)

I think I did okay in March- I did get some lip butters and a nail polish at Ulta, used my Dermstore and BeautyBar coupons for the microfoliant and a bunch of Fekkai travel sizes to take on my honeymoon, and picked up a skincare set from TheBalm at Marshall's, but overall it was nothing like last month so I feel really good about things overall.

Unfortunately, I KNOW April will be bad- I'm going to Sephora on Wednesday to consult about and buy foundation for my wedding (thank goodness that the 15% coupon is happening now!) and I'm still trying to find the perfect nail polish and eyeshadow, too... But fortunately I got really good in March about stopping and asking myself why I wanted to buy something. Hopefully that'll make this month a little easier on the debit card :)

Good luck, ladies!

I would think stuff for the wedding would be exempt so those items are kinda needed. But limit what you buy, ya know? 

Originally Posted by Pancua View Post

I would think stuff for the wedding would be exempt so those items are kinda needed. But limit what you buy, ya know? 

That's exactly my problem- I don't mind spending the money on the foundation, but what ALWAYS happens is "Oh, well I'm already spending X amount, so tossing a few more things in there won't be the end of the world..." Or what's even worse is just needing to spend a little bit more to get the GWP's or discounts for spending X amount- I can always find some way to justify it :/

Originally Posted by sprite9034 View Post

That's exactly my problem- I don't mind spending the money on the foundation, but what ALWAYS happens is "Oh, well I'm already spending X amount, so tossing a few more things in there won't be the end of the world..." Or what's even worse is just needing to spend a little bit more to get the GWP's or discounts for spending X amount- I can always find some way to justify it :/

Yeah, GWP are tricky. I have yet to really figure out a good way to get around those. One trick I have tried with limited success is telling myself that I will allow myself $5. So if I am within $5 of a GWP, I will do it. But then what happens if its only $6 or $7? Where does one draw the line and then fudge it?

Yaaay, good job! I might have to jump on that 4 for $10 coke deal though...that is way too good to pass up! Thanks for sharing that! :

If he ends up there, hopefully I would be going to visit, so a meet-up is still a definite possibility! :) Oh, and don't worry. Pretty soon, maybe later today or something, I'll post pictures of all the crap that I have!

Quote:

So you won't be coming with him? Bummer, we could have met up for lunch or something. :(

Post away! Anything that helps you stay on your no buy is fair game!!

I've always thought about taking the money out but that direct deposit gets me every time to where I'm too lazy to go to the bank :( I guess I shall start that though. I would need to save up for 2 plane tickets since I would have to bring my mom along then plus food & misc. items. I would probably be able to stay at one of my cousins houses, but then figuring I would like to stay there 1-2 weeks I would need to save up for all the money I wouldn't be making either! So I'd figure around 3-4k and I'm at 100$ now. Hopefully I get a good raise at my job with the new position I'm applying for, that'll raise my odds of going sooner :)

Every little bit counts! I was spending close to $150 - $200 a month on cosmetics according to my bank statements from Dec to Feb. I was SHOCKED at the amount, that's at least $450 on the low end! So I switched some stuff around, canceled some subs that I didn't like and I used that money to buy my SO and I a really cute room at a B&B not far from the pier we will be boarding for our cruise. The money saved is also taking us to the restaurant 13 coins  for the night before boarding.

Travel plans can be really daunting, the best way to go about it is to write down each item needed (i.e. airplane tickets, hotel, car, etc etc) and start calling around, get an idea of what prices *could* be (find out if its high season or low season, this will tell you if prices will go up or down when you are there). Then make an envelope for each segment. That has been one of the best ways I have been able to save up for big trips. Keeping the money in my bank account never worked out, I needed the money to just not be there so having it in cash at the house meant I couldn't accidently spend it on one of my mad shopping runs which also means my mad shopping runs weren't so bad. :)

Just some ideas to ponder. Mine are far from perfect but they work for me. 

Quote:

I've always thought about taking the money out but that direct deposit gets me every time to where I'm too lazy to go to the bank :( I guess I shall start that though. I would need to save up for 2 plane tickets since I would have to bring my mom along then plus food & misc. items. I would probably be able to stay at one of my cousins houses, but then figuring I would like to stay there 1-2 weeks I would need to save up for all the money I wouldn't be making either! So I'd figure around 3-4k and I'm at 100$ now. Hopefully I get a good raise at my job with the new position I'm applying for, that'll raise my odds of going sooner :)

I just had an idea! Get a prepay card! You can put as much money on those as you want and its not linked to your bank account but then leave the card at home!

Or if you are really worried about your self control, freeze it in a container of water so its no easy task to get to it. :D

You come up with some excellent ideas. A++ for creativity :D lol

I just had an idea! Get a prepay card! You can put as much money on those as you want and its not linked to your bank account but then leave the card at home!

Or if you are really worried about your self control, freeze it in a container of water so its no easy task to get to it. :D

You come up with some excellent ideas. A++ for creativity :D lol

LOL thanks!

Originally Posted by ladygrey View Post

If he ends up there, hopefully I would be going to visit, so a meet-up is still a definite possibility! :) Oh, and don't worry. Pretty soon, maybe later today or something, I'll post pictures of all the crap that I have!

Yay!!!

I've recently decided I want to buy a condo of my own because I'm tired of renting. My credit isn't bad by any means (I've never made a late payment on ANYTHING) but I have a lot of debt that I need to get rid of. I just cut up my macy's, nordstrom, and gap cards, and one of my visas. I don't think I can get approved for a mortgage until I'm below 30% utilization on all credit cards because of my additional student loan debt, so from this point forward: I'm not spending anything I don't have in my bank account. My macy's and gap cards are paid off, and my nordstrom card has less than 100 dollars on it, so I figured those were the most tempting to spend on. I don't want accounts closed no me for not using them either though. 

I guess what I'm getting at is if I quit buying beauty products, my cards will be paid off in no time. 

I'm going to try giving up going out EVERY weekend too. I can stay at home and watch tv and it can be entertaining too, and since I pay for cable...I might as well use it.

This brought to you by me checking my account on creditkarma.com and seeing that my credit score went DOWN a lot in the last month. 

The ULTA sale/sample bag is the first time I've been "OOOH, mama want!" in a while, but I cannot justify it. Ditto the Target Beauty Bag (which they've finally posted qualifiers for)

My "no-buy" rules are this: Subs don't count, since they're already subbed (but joining a new one is a fail). Items that are free after coupon do not count--not just a good bargain, but actually free. This only applies to beauty items(hair, skin, makeup, nails) but it does include organizers and tools. Services are not counted (haircut, eyebrow waxing, manicure, pedicure) but should not exceed one per month.

Oh, and no beauty books or magazines, either. Forgot that part!

And that soda deal is callin' my name right now. Thankfully, them's groceries, and even I would never put groceries into a no-buy haha

Oh, it is so, soooo tempting. It really is an awesome bag, and I have a cart filled with exactly $60.53 of awesome stuff. 

Must. Resist. I just have to keep telling myself there will be more awesome deals in the future. 

Originally Posted by calexxia View Post

The ULTA sale/sample bag is the first time I've been "OOOH, mama want!" in a while, but I cannot justify it. Ditto the Target Beauty Bag (which they've finally posted qualifiers for)

My "no-buy" rules are this: Subs don't count, since they're already subbed (but joining a new one is a fail). Items that are free after coupon do not count--not just a good bargain, but actually free. This only applies to beauty items(hair, skin, makeup, nails) but it does include organizers and tools. Services are not counted (haircut, eyebrow waxing, manicure, pedicure) but should not exceed one per month.

Oh, and no beauty books or magazines, either. Forgot that part!

And that soda deal is callin' my name right now. Thankfully, them's groceries, and even I would never put groceries into a no-buy haha