Finger or Sponge for Foundation Application

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I keep going back and forth with this one because I am told different things all the time. Is it best to use a sponge for application of liquid foundation or is it better to use your fingers? I was told by make up artists that it is best to use your finger (as long as you wash your hands) because it applies better and that you don’t waste the product on the sponge absorption. On the other hand, I was just told by another artist that the sponge is defiantly better because it applies more evenly and gives the skin a more even tone. Does anyone have advice on this? Or does it really just come down to personal preference?

I don't use a liquid foundation but I use a bb cream.  I just use my fingers.  Its easier to handle and cleaner.  If you want to use a sponge, you'll have to wash your sponge after every use or replace it every day.  It gets expensive and wasteful.  Some use brushes.  I tried brushes but I don't get the finish I like. 

IMO it depends on the foundation. If you wet your sponge first like you're supposed to it really won't absorb that much extra foundation.

I don't use liquid foundation too much but when I do I like using it with a damp sponge as it sheers out the foundation. I like my face makeup very light so damp sponge does the trick. And you also don't take too much product when you use a damp sponge. I use use a brush if I want to use high coverage foundation as it makes the blending and buffing easy. 

Fingers are recommended to "melt" the foundation into your skin but on me, you can see every where I swipe the foundation on.  A wet sponge is much better but still not my preferred method.

I use either my beauty blender (yes, you have to use it wet so it doesn't absorb the foundation) or my flat top brush, which is kind of dense. Then I stipple the foundation on. I wash my sponge or brush after each use which isn't that big of deal. I'd have to wash my hands if I were using my fingers anyway. There is definitely a difference in the finished look when I use my beauty blender vs. fingers. And when I look at ppl I can always tell if they've used their fingers, the foundation tends to be more streaky and not as well blended IMO.

Originally Posted by Adrienne /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Fingers are recommended to "melt" the foundation into your skin but on me, you can see every where I swipe the foundation on.  A wet sponge is much better but still not my preferred method.

I have heard of the whole melting thing, but on me I never could see anything special about using my fingers.

I prefer fingers for application. I have a hard time keeping up with cleaning makeup tools so I haven't tried any sponges or BeautyBlender. The disposable sponges seem wasteful to me.

To use a sponge, fingers or a brush it all depends on the type of finish you want, I have been a pro makeup artist for about 27 years I still use my fingers but always follow up with a sponge using a tapping motion to help remove any streak marks before setting.

It depends - I use my fingers when I apply liquid foundation, and use a sponge/brush when I apply pressed powder foundation. With the liquid, I get better and more even coverage when I just use my fingers as opposed to a sponge.

Neither.

Fingers are unhygienic and sponges waste product.

Brushes are your best bet. Foundation brushes are specific to the task at hand, they are also hygienic and easy to clean.

Fingers are preferred when replicating Aboriginal, Indigenous, First Nations facial and body painting designs.

Last edited by a moderator:
I use both the techniques, first i use the sponge and then tap the skin with finger. By doing this, it gives full coverage and the finger gives a natural glow to the skin.

Latest posts

Back