May 2012 No-Buy Support

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
This is for anyone who is on a no-buy or project pan, or for anyone who wants to start one.

Let's do this ladies! Let's be supporters, not enablers. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Originally Posted by ladygrey /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Yay! How many days is your no-buy at? I've hit the double digits today, 10 days of not buying junk! Gotta admit, it feels pretty good. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />
I am not counting my birthday purchase since that was technically done with gift money so I am well over 60 days at this point. We leave for Alaska in 14 days and all the money I had been spending on cosmetics has bought us a really nice wine package and me a spa treatment aboard ship. 

Win! :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

That's awesome! I wouldn't count birthday stuff either. That's really cool that you've used the money you've saved to buy some nifty stuff to do on your cruise--I remember reading something that said that studies show that spending money on experiences and things to do with other people makes you a lot happier in the end than just spending money on stuff. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Originally Posted by Pancua /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I am not counting my birthday purchase since that was technically done with gift money so I am well over 60 days at this point. We leave for Alaska in 14 days and all the money I had been spending on cosmetics has bought us a really nice wine package and me a spa treatment aboard ship. 

Win! :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I am here to support you ladies but I'm not pledging a no buy this month. I'm just going to see how it goes if I'm not trying to restrict  it, I might even do better!

Yay! Whatever works for you. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> I've already finished a decent amount of samples, and I've gotta admit, it's kind of addicting. I like adding little empty packets and bottles to my bag of empties! I've decided that if I'm really good, I'm going to buy myself the Alterna Bamboo hair stuff that I really like. Once I run out of my current stuff, that is. It's pretty expensive compared to my Garnier stuff, so I rarely buy it. 

But for me, I really need to get serious. After el hubs pointed out that we might be moving next May, I just thought of all the beauty stuff that I would have to pack up, move, and then unpack and find another place for and I died a little inside at the thought. 

Originally Posted by Playedinloops /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I am here to support you ladies but I'm not pledging a no buy this month. I'm just going to see how it goes if I'm not trying to restrict  it, I might even do better!

Yay! Whatever works for you. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> I've already finished a decent amount of samples, and I've gotta admit, it's kind of addicting. I like adding little empty packets and bottles to my bag of empties! I've decided that if I'm really good, I'm going to buy myself the Alterna Bamboo hair stuff that I really like. Once I run out of my current stuff, that is. It's pretty expensive compared to my Garnier stuff, so I rarely buy it. 

But for me, I really need to get serious. After el hubs pointed out that we might be moving next May, I just thought of all the beauty stuff that I would have to pack up, move, and then unpack and find another place for and I died a little inside at the thought. 
Oh god I need to consult my roommate. Our lease ends in August and whatever happens...I need time to prepare if it means moving lol. 

Haha, oh my gosh...GET ON THAT NOW!! I'm bracing myself for the potential from a year from now lol. Granted, we might end up staying here, but I'm just going to act like it's actually happening for the sake of my collection (and my sanity).

Oh god I need to consult my roommate. Our lease ends in August and whatever happens...I need time to prepare if it means moving lol. 

Haha, oh my gosh...GET ON THAT NOW!! I'm bracing myself for the potential from a year from now lol. Granted, we might end up staying here, but I'm just going to act like it's actually happening for the sake of my collection (and my sanity).
I'm hoping she'll just want to stay here. I'm 5 minutes from work here and I don't want to move furniture at all lol. Plus its affordable and clean and parking is free and I have a washer and dryer. Which in the midwest was standard, but here it feels like such an accomplishment lol. 

Moving is the worst. I moved every single year during undergrad (and twice my sophomore year!), so I totally understand the whole not wanting to move thing. 

I'm hoping she'll just want to stay here. I'm 5 minutes from work here and I don't want to move furniture at all lol. Plus its affordable and clean and parking is free and I have a washer and dryer. Which in the midwest was standard, but here it feels like such an accomplishment lol. 

Like playedinloops, I'm not going to officially declare a no-buy, since whenever I do that, I feel constricted and wind up wanting EVERYTHING. However, I have completed three days of not buying any beauty products! (Granted, the day before that, I spent like a hundred bucks on perfume, but...). It's funny; when I don't SAY "no buy", few things appeal to me. When I SAY "no buy", I see amazing deals everywhere that I can't feel good about passing up!

(And I'm STILL amazed that I didn't even twinge for the Julep Mystery Box this month)

Yay, three days! I'm on day 11. Baby steps, baby steps...

I'll be honest--I twinged a little bit at the elf mystery bag. But then I thought about how much stuff I already have and how much I hated the stuff I got last time I purchased a mystery bag (not from elf, from stylemint) and the twinge was gone. 

Originally Posted by calexxia /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Like playedinloops, I'm not going to officially declare a no-buy, since whenever I do that, I feel constricted and wind up wanting EVERYTHING. However, I have completed three days of not buying any beauty products! (Granted, the day before that, I spent like a hundred bucks on perfume, but...). It's funny; when I don't SAY "no buy", few things appeal to me. When I SAY "no buy", I see amazing deals everywhere that I can't feel good about passing up!

(And I'm STILL amazed that I didn't even twinge for the Julep Mystery Box this month)

I didn't even see an ELF mystery bag, although I got the "$5 off a $5 purchase" from them today. What's actually tough right now is that I just found out a LUSH opened in my local mall....and I really could USE some Party On right now. However, I'm trying (valiantly) to be good. 

I've heard LUSH is divine. But...stay strong!

I got the elf email about a week ago, and it gave me a code to use for the mystery bag of crap I don't need with a $20 purchase.

I didn't even see an ELF mystery bag, although I got the "$5 off a $5 purchase" from them today. What's actually tough right now is that I just found out a LUSH opened in my local mall....and I really could USE some Party On right now. However, I'm trying (valiantly) to be good. 

Awesome! Good job. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I went to Target earlier today, and got exactly what I needed (Willa face towelettes and shaving gel) and nothing else. I even looked at all of the makeup and nail polish and I felt no desire to buy any of it. 

I took a nap--no LUSH today as I'm en route to work in the next few minutes :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I went through the entire beauty section at tj maxx today and didn't buy one thing. I tried to justify the trip by walking their lol, and I was tempted by a set by the balm..stainiac, the two concealers that they have, their tinted moisturizer, and a mascara for 20 dollars, but I didn't buy it. Now that i just wrote it all out, I feel like I should though lol. That equals cheaper than drug store make up.

I went through the entire beauty section at tj maxx today and didn't buy one thing. I tried to justify the trip by walking their lol, and I was tempted by a set by the balm..stainiac, the two concealers that they have, their tinted moisturizer, and a mascara for 20 dollars, but I didn't buy it. Now that i just wrote it all out, I feel like I should though lol. That equals cheaper than drug store make up.
You chose correctly. The subs are shipping soon, you should be okay.

Putting items in the circular swap box served as a really good clean out for my stash. I am not on a no buy this month, but I am trying to focus on using products, not just collecting them.

I also gave some items to my friend that usually pays way too much for beauty products. She is a bargain shopper in all other areas of her life. She was about to buy a Clinique mascara that is her favorite, so I gave her my deluxe sample. I had two other mascaras on the way to me from trades, and had gotten a free one at a store with rewards. She was talking about how much she loved the Jonathan hairspray from BeautyFix, so I gave her mine. She styles her hair every day and I only style it a few times a week. She was concerned about her eyeshadow always creasing, so I gave her a UD primer potion sample I had received in a trade. It's the first time in her life her eyeshadow hasn't creased, and I already have a full size. Very rewarding.

Latest posts

Back