Sign in to follow this  
ladygrey

May 2012 No-Buy Support

So not a lame gift! She will love it. 39 days is awesome!

Originally Posted by amberlamps View Post

39 days. icon_lol.gif

I'm going to be super broke this summer. I'm going to destash for my SIL's birthday since I likely won't be able to buy anything new (I'm paying off my credit cards and not using them until I have a steady income again in the fall).. I've got tons of samples and full sized items that I haven't used/probably won't use. Hopefully she doesn't think that's a lame gift

Get one! I would hate that.

Originally Posted by ladygrey View Post

Day 14 today. This is around the time when I broke last time, so hopefully if I can put through to the end of the week, I''ll be able to keep going strong. I turn in my last project of the semester tonight, so sometime this week I'll sit down and sort through all of my beauty products. Hopefully I can get rid of some things that are old and will remain unused, and sort through the rest and get it organized so I can easily access everything.

Would it be considered breaking the no-buy if I bought a train case? I saw some last time I was at Sephora, and they're good size and good quality. I'm hoping to pare down my collection enough to fit in one. 

It's actually getting easier (This was Day Six). I went to the mall today, because I wanted to see if Lush had the Party On Temple Balm (really good for migraines). Not only did they not carry ANY Temple Balms, they didn't even carry the shower jellies, so I couldn't get the Party On in THAT. Since I'd made a special trip, that annoyed me enough to not even play with the sample pots!  Then it was the Body Shop, where a few things that were appealing, I kept thinking, "eh, maybe another time, not right now." Same at Sephora and at B&BW. Actually, NOTHING at B&BW was even appealing (which is HIGHLY unusual for me). Feelin' pretty dang good right now......

Day Seven is over and done. It's funny how by NOT prohibiting myself, I'm finding less that I want (although I have found a few things now that are pulling at my pursestrings)

Originally Posted by calexxia View Post

Day Seven is over and done. It's funny how by NOT prohibiting myself, I'm finding less that I want (although I have found a few things now that are pulling at my pursestrings)

I'm the same, I flipped through an ulta catalog and nothing tempted me, had an order in my cart on beauty bar and then asked myself what I needed another foundation and pink lipstick for...etc. I'm not sure if I've realized I don't need it, hit a saturation point, or if taking away the restriction is helping. Probably all of the above.

Good job ladies! It seems like we're all doing much better this time around. I think the fact that we're not acting as enablers really helps, too. 

Day 16 for me. I think last time when I failed, it was around day 14 or 15, so I'm right around that same point. I've been keeping track of the days on that chains.cc site, and I like it. Kinda encouraging to see the long chain of successful days. 

Hopefully I was helpful in talking "someone" here out of ordering that big ole Sephora order! *g*

And that was Day 8 for me, btw. OVER A WEEK. I know that sounds silly, since "normal" folks probably go long periods of time without buying beauty stuff, but STILL. I'm proud of myself right now, because I HAVE learned that this is what I do to relieve boredom, cheer myself up, etc. I realized, though, that my Ulta Rewards Certificate expires June 2, so I may wind up breaking before then, but right now, I'm feeling pretty darn good AND resisting (so far) my INSANE craving for this one body butter that I smelled the other night. I know I shouldn't get it, because it smells SO good that I'd never wear any perfume, and I am TRYING to get more into perfume. So, perhaps that will be what dissuades me for now.

Plus, I looked in my bathroom and realized that even without touching ANY of my samples, I could EASILY go six months without buying shampoo/conditioner. So I'm trying to use all that stuff up before I buy more.

So I think I'm going to try this no-buy thing again. I think I did good last month I just needed to stick with it. I have made some dents on my eye shadows and I actually used up some of my perfumes. This month I've done alright so far. But I didn't know I was going to try this no buy until today. So far this month the beauty items I've bought were a wet n wild eye shadow and polish both on sale and a nyc lip stain. Not bad considering I'm happy with the items. I think this month I can stick with it. I can't say I'm going to use anything up but I'm going to try. I was really tempted to get the Dark Shadows palette but so far I've resisted.

I don't want to do a no buy per se...I set aside $50 for my beauty needs per paycheck (every 2 weeks). I need to stay off of youtube! sometimes I'm feeling content with what I buy then one of the gurus i' m subscribed to gives me ideas for one thing or the other and I go over my limit. What I started doing was just exchanging products. So, I'm not supposed to buy anything until next week but I have some products I bought last week that I didnt like.

Day Nine over and DONE. Actually proud of myself, because today was my ex-husband's birthday and if ANYTHING was gonna make me spend emotionally, I thought it was gonna be that. My enabler at work was talking to me about her Lush haul and Sephora haul and I was like, "Ya know, I'm feelin' good right now NOT buying". That said, tomorrow IS payday and I DO have a coupon for a free body wash at CVS, so I will be going in there, but...I've SO FAR resisted the temptation to go into Ulta with my Reward Certificate OR to print out the Body Shop coupon that would score me a good deal on MAD amounts of the body butter I'm currently drooling over (As I said to my enabler--I want it because of the fragrance, but since I'm trying to get more into using perfume, it's silly for me to get a body butter that's going to overpower the perfume!)

AND I DID NOT SIGN UP FOR GLOSSYBOX! LOL

I'm not even tempted by glossybox. It's crazy. I have a free month left of julep and I think I will cancel after that. I'll probably cancel beauty army, too. Which leaves me with just birchbox which is annual and I can't cancel. 

I still want to buy benetint but I'm trying to wait it out because someone traded me some posietint, and hopefully that will fulfill my craving. 

If I were only going to have ONE monthly subscription, which do you think is best?  I'm fairly new to all of this. 

I was bad! I signed up for Glossybox. They'll get one month, maybe two. Right now, they're up against a second Birchbox subscription. which is gonna be tough since I absolutely love, love, LOVE both of my Birchboxes for May. 

The downside of loving my Birchboxes means that now I want to buy the Shu Uemura cleansing oil shampoo, the Dr. Jart, Miracle Skin Transformer, and the Diorshow. And you know what? I will. But only after I've used up the products I have now, which is going to be awhile. I want those items, but I don't want to waste more money if I don't needmsomething. Plus, who knows--by the time I am able to buy, I may not even want them any more. That happens a lot. 

Well, I LOOOVE my dr. jart bb cream, I have the silver rejuvenating one and I wear it every day. I'll probably finish it faster than most foundations I use. Same with diorshow, its the only mascara I bother with any more. 

Apparently my Birchbox is out for delivery, which MAY prevent me from going to Ulta and the mall, which would, by extension, keep me from shopping. I have to keep reminding myself: THERE WILL ALWAYS BE ANOTHER BARGAIN/SALE.

Back on day 2. Fell off the wagon. I'm not going to beat myself up for it, all I can do is try harder. I don't want to screw anyone up so I won't post what I got.

Originally Posted by Souly View Post

Back on day 2. Fell off the wagon. I'm not going to beat myself up for it, all I can do is try harder. I don't want to screw anyone up so I won't post what I got.

It's ok if you do, because it MIGHT be useful for us in helping cheer you on NOT to buy more! (That's not enabling, IMHO.)

And I will admit that tomorrow, I will probably be making a few purchases: I have several freebies lined up (Philosophy fragrance samples, a full-size Yellow Diamonds, a free body wash, B&BW travel size, etc) but I KNOW I won't not purchase SOMETHING at the places I'll be. All I can do is try to make it stuff that I WILL use and that won't just "sit around")

I seriously think I may have found my HG mascara. My eyelashes have never looked so full and gorgeous. No clumping or flakies either! Same with the shampoo. I can't stop staring at my hair, haha. Really into this Dr. Jart BB. It has good coverage, and my face doesn't feel or look cakey or anything. Birchbox hit it out of the park this month with both of my boxes. 

Definitely gonna have to hold off on getting these items, though. We just spent about $700 today at the optometrist and the DMV getting our cars registered and titled. Luckily, I have enough shampoo and mascara and foundation to last me for a loooooong time. 

Originally Posted by Playedinloops View Post

Well, I LOOOVE my dr. jart bb cream, I have the silver rejuvenating one and I wear it every day. I'll probably finish it faster than most foundations I use. Same with diorshow, its the only mascara I bother with any more. 

Originally Posted by calexxia View Post

It's ok if you do, because it MIGHT be useful for us in helping cheer you on NOT to buy more! (That's not enabling, IMHO.)

And I will admit that tomorrow, I will probably be making a few purchases: I have several freebies lined up (Philosophy fragrance samples, a full-size Yellow Diamonds, a free body wash, B&BW travel size, etc) but I KNOW I won't not purchase SOMETHING at the places I'll be. All I can do is try to make it stuff that I WILL use and that won't just "sit around")

Ok. I feel like I'm in a confessional booth icon_lol.gif I got a cargo lip gloss quad in casablanca, 3 piece glitter eyeliner set from pop beauty & tarte cheek stain in tickled. I did get a good deal ($25 off + first 2 on sale) @ blush.com (part of dermstore) but I didn't need any of it.

I love cheek stains. I had to go to the doctors earlier & wore some on my cheeks & lips. I felt...prettier? I usally don't wear makeup, not there anyway. I didn't need to buy another one though.

I have another $25 off. I am trying so hard not to break. Its really hard though. They have stuff on sale...that I like. No no no!

Good luck freebie shopping.

Originally Posted by Souly View Post

Ok. I feel like I'm in a confessional booth icon_lol.gif I got a cargo lip gloss quad in casablanca, 3 piece glitter eyeliner set from pop beauty & tarte cheek stain in tickled. I did get a good deal ($25 off + first 2 on sale) @ blush.com (part of dermstore) but I didn't need any of it.

I love cheek stains. I had to go to the doctors earlier & wore some on my cheeks & lips. I felt...prettier? I usally don't wear makeup, not there anyway. I didn't need to buy another one though.

I have another $25 off. I am trying so hard not to break. Its really hard though. They have stuff on sale...that I like. No no no!

Good luck freebie shopping.

Not the confessional, but, see, just by pointing out what you LOOOOOVED (the cheek stain), you're assessing what you have and whether you need yet another one. THAT is what I mean by helpful--taking a look at why you buy what you do and when, you know?

Trust, I'm a totally compulsive shopper, but right now I'm really feeling almost overwhelmed by how much stuff I have (not just beauty). I'm trying to develop the attitude of "If I use up what I have, then I can better enjoy what I do buy". 

(And I love cheek stains, too. So much more natural looking than standard blush, IMHO)