Sign in to follow this  
suenotto

Curious, what products do you NOT buy or wear?

I'm starting to get more and more wary of icky ingredients.  A post above mentioned lotions.  I use Lush Dream Cream now, and I try not to use anything else!  I'm also tossing all of my old nail polishes and growing my collection with 3-free and aboves, preferably 5-free Zoya.

I won't buy any more makeup from a Claire's store. I tried to indulge my inner teenager with some color from my nearest Claire's--never again! The shadows wore off inside two hours, and what didn't wear off made me itch; the lip glosses were smelly mineral oil laced with pigment. I wouldn't give this to kids to wear either. They can get excellent quality out of a drugstore with less allergens, and without breaking the bank. I'm not against cheap makeup by any means, but this stuff scrapes the bottom of the trash can!

LOL. I'm pretty plump and I love orange. Now I'm thnking, do I like a pumpkin?! lol

Originally Posted by Bflopolska View Post

Orange ANYTHING! I'm really hating the recent trend toward the oranges and corals and melons. My skin is too light and cool-toned for anything more orange than pale peach. My one exception is Nars Orgasm, but that seems to be a wearable peach-pink hybrid. Besides, I am a lady of...generous proportions. Large women in orange tend to look like The Great Pumpkin.

I don't wear bronzers (too pale), eye liners, or eye shadows. I go for  a more natural look.

I find it interesting that a lot of pale girls avoid bronzers. I'm extremely fair, and I actually use a light bronzer instead of blush in the summer. I think if you get the right shade and dust a small amount across your cheeks, it looks really natural. 

Originally Posted by ladygrey View Post

I find it interesting that a lot of pale girls avoid bronzers. I'm extremely fair, and I actually use a light bronzer instead of blush in the summer. I think if you get the right shade and dust a small amount across your cheeks, it looks really natural. 

I probably wear more bronzer than anything else! I like Estee Lauder Bronze Goddess or Clinique's Mineral Bronzer best. Every now and again I like the Too Faced leopard bronzers especially in the evening because of the extra shimmer. It doesn't take much at all; as long as you use a nice fluffy brush and be light with it, it doesn't look fake or orange at all.

I contour sometimes and I like to sometimes use a teeny tiny bit of bronzer instead of a blush, but most of the time I don't really do bronze. I also, like many in this thread apparently, don't do fake tans (from the bottle, not to mention actual tanning beds), top or basecoats for regular nail polish application, no fake nails, no "pop of color" eyeliner and no pale pink lipstick.. just doesn't go with my complexion. :D

The things you don't wear now will often be the things you need when you get older.

Makeup is like underwear it needs to be changed or it starts to smell.Never be afraid of changing what and how you wear product.

Originally Posted by ladygrey View Post

I've tried all sorts of bronzers and even warm colored blushes and they literally look like dirt on my skin even when I use a light hand. I only seem to be able to pull off pinks or peaches that aren't dusty looking. 

Originally Posted by studiomakeup View Post

The things you don't wear now will often be the things you need when you get older.

Makeup is like underwear it needs to be changed or it starts to smell.Never be afraid of changing what and how you wear product.

Yup! I used to only wear mascara and eyeliner, I was a little afraid of eyeshadow. But now I love it and am already falling into the trap of buying basically the same colors over and over.. The thing that changed my mind about eyeshadow? Urban decay midnight cowboy. I never would have picked up that color in a million years, but once I saw it on, I was hooked.

I usually don't use any lip products. I'm allergic to some ingredient but just never have been able to figure out which ones...which is why I just avoid them altogether now :'(

Originally Posted by Playedinloops View Post

I don't do lip liner either! I don't think I've ever even owned one. I've been thinking about getting a clear one now, though, since I have started regularly wearing lipstick.

That's a great idea. I've used white eyeliner as lipliner for red lips before. (definitely blended out of course) It perfects them and gives a brightening effect that I really like.

I don't use tinted moisturizer. Although I would like to, they do not provide enough lasting coverage for me. Plus, for some odd reason most of them just seem to break me out :-

Originally Posted by nkjm View Post

I usually don't use any lip products. I'm allergic to some ingredient but just never have been able to figure out which ones...which is why I just avoid them altogether now :'(

Sorry to hear that..I've been really enjoying my balms and glosses lately.  Maybe with so many new organic products out there you can find something that works. I know "Bite" a lip product co on sephora contains all food grade ingredients. I just picked up at $15 mini set on there with 2 lipsticks and 1 gloss. It had very good reviews. :)

Originally Posted by Bflopolska View Post

I won't be wearing Urban Decay now, I can tell you that!

Is that because of the China/animal testing thing?

Is that because of the China/animal testing thing?
Yes it is, absolutely. That, combined with some recent press releases from UD that came off to me as arrogant and patronizing, just makes me feel they have sold out.

Sorry to hear that..I've been really enjoying my balms and glosses lately.  Maybe with so many new organic products out there you can find something that works. I know "Bite" a lip product co on sephora contains all food grade ingredients. I just picked up at $15 mini set on there with 2 lipsticks and 1 gloss. It had very good reviews. :)
Korres also makes wonderful botanical lip colors. Another I discovered recently is Red Apple Lipstick (I don't have the phone number handy but they do have a website, just Google the name!) Red Apple products are vegan, gluten-free, and no animal testing. Plus the wear is incredible!

i can't do false lashes or lip liners. i'm also not a huge fan of liquid eyeliner but i'll occasionally use it on my eyelids, just not underneath.  other than that, i'm pretty open to playing with just about anything.

I do Not Wear lip liner..I do buy it cause I use it on my clients when applying certain lipsticks, but I am personally not a fan of it myself.

I don't like wearing foundation. I don't like how it feels on my skin and I really don't like how I look with it on. I much prefer a clean face with eye shadow and lipstick alone.

I've changed my mind about blushes. Now I have a couple, and I just got the Vapour Beauty Aura Multi-use Blush in color "spark" and its perfect. Very light and natural looking. great for days I don't feel like doing much because its so easy to put on. I'm a convert! I love it!