Sign in to follow this  
Wida

(SPOILERS) July Birchbox partners with Glamour Magazine

Originally Posted by astokes View Post

Do they actually taste like Chai tea? I got the lemongrass yuzu flavor and was not a fan.

i'd say there's a small hint of chai. it mostly tastes like cinnamon. i hate cinnamon but i like these because the flavor isn't that strong, i think the other ingredients balances it out or maybe i'm just thinking too hard about it haha.

my aunt got ginger pear and i tried those too, they taste really weird when you first put it in your mouth but then that flavor subsides and they're not bad. but it's been a while and i can't remember what exactly it tasted like.

Originally Posted by Angelalh View Post

i sent them an email about it and this is the response

The ultimate idea behind our business is that you get to try an amazing array of products before you consider buying them.  We always strive to send our members products that they'll love, but we are also happy to know we are fulfilling our goal of helping you navigate through the cluttered beauty world to suss out products. This is part of the inherent value of your $10 subscription. 

We are thrilled to provide you with access to new and exciting brands that you might not have known about otherwise. But I can understand if not all of the samples were a hit. 

We sent you the Jouer Luminizing Moisture Tint in Golden as is can be used for contouring in the summer months to give off a bronze appearance. You can read more about how to contour here. The Boscia Green Tea Blotting Linens can be used not only for oily skin, but for sweaty skin as well, which can be particularly helpful when it's hot outside. 

To ensure that you receive products that you are more interested in, I recommend for you to update your Beauty Profile. We do try our best to honor your specifications, so that you always feel that you are getting value out of your monthly box. However, since we are customizing all of our customers' boxes, we cannot guarantee that everyone will receive a certain sample. 

Please be in touch if there is anything else you'd like to discuss!

xo,

Audrey

so basically, i have to use a product that is intended as a full face product differently because they didnt feel like giving me the correct color?

and if they are customizing all of their customers boxes how are you not customizing it to reflect our individual profiles??!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

I find that justification more irritating than if they had just said "whoops, our bad". I've honestly been spending $$ on full sized products at Sephora just because it's easier than bb. I can go into the store and try the products, the Sephora on the east side in the 40s is really helpful, I think it's on Park Ave? The only problem is that they don't carry Suki and I want to buy the full sized scrub. I didn't order it from bb because it bugged me that despite the product being sampled that month, only the sampler of all the products is free shipping. So now I'll just wait until I have the points to get it for free... hopefully next month.

I'm moving next month so I have to change my bb shipping address. I'm sure that will go well... :::Sarcasm:::

Do they actually taste like Chai tea? I got the lemongrass yuzu flavor and was not a fan.

I got the lemongrass flavor too and it was YUCK. It was bad enough to keep me away from all their products. Nasty. WTH is yuzu?

Originally Posted by Anneke V View Post

I got the lemongrass flavor too and it was YUCK. It was bad enough to keep me away from all their products. Nasty. WTH is yuzu?

Yuzu is an Asian citrus fruit. I was thinking Tea Forte needs to stay just making tea. Lol. Because they have great tea.

I'm willing to try other flavors of the mints though. I was hoping for anything but the one I got. >_<

Originally Posted by MollyC2153 View Post

I find that justification more irritating than if they had just said "whoops, our bad". I've honestly been spending $$ on full sized products at Sephora just because it's easier than bb. I can go into the store and try the products, the Sephora on the east side in the 40s is really helpful, I think it's on Park Ave? The only problem is that they don't carry Suki and I want to buy the full sized scrub. I didn't order it from bb because it bugged me that despite the product being sampled that month, only the sampler of all the products is free shipping. So now I'll just wait until I have the points to get it for free... hopefully next month.

I'm moving next month so I have to change my bb shipping address. I'm sure that will go well... :::Sarcasm:::

yup. sounds like they said a whole bunch of bull. i'm in NYC too hand.gif

if they really "customized" our profiles then there wouldn't be a such thing as "box 2", "box 5", etc.

they built a brand new sephora in columbus circle. i went to the grand opening last week and it was hot. it's huge and gorgeous :)

Originally Posted by quene8106 View Post

if they really "customized" our profiles then there wouldn't be a such thing as "box 2", "box 5", etc.

they built a brand new sephora in columbus circle. i went to the grand opening last week and it was hot. it's huge and gorgeous :)

the most irritating part to me is when she wrote To ensure that you receive products that you are more interested in, I recommend for you to update your Beauty Profile.

wait does she mean to change it to oily skin to get products for dry skin and a darker skintone to get lighter products???

if im not getting products relevant to my profile already it kind of defeats the purpose of having a profile

this is totally off topic but oh welllll i just had to share this.

i went in to sephora at my jc pennys today to claim my birthday gift, and the only choice they gave me was this tiny little pencil eyeliner (no thanks, just got eyeko and i have UD 24/7 in black which is perfection) or some dinky sample tube of mascara (doesn't compare to the sample of diorshow i got from birchbox) or some small bottle of some bath thingy i don't even remember what.

i was kind of disappointed and wanted to say something because i thought i was supposed to get the sugar lip balms, but i didn't say anything because it's free and i know how much of a pain it is to work in service/retail.

Originally Posted by Angelalh View Post

the most irritating part to me is when she wrote To ensure that you receive products that you are more interested in, I recommend for you to update your Beauty Profile.

wait does she mean to change it to oily skin to get products for dry skin and a darker skintone to get lighter products???

if im not getting products relevant to my profile already it kind of defeats the purpose of having a profile

i suppose that this is what she meant. when i first joined birchbox, i filled out my profile honestly and my boxes sucked. i changed my profile in time for the july box and lied on everything and got a kick a$$ box.  i will keep everything the same on my "faux profile" for august.

Originally Posted by kawaiimeows View Post

i went in to sephora at my jc pennys today to claim my birthday gift, and the only choice they gave me was this tiny little pencil eyeliner (no thanks, just got eyeko and i have UD 24/7 in black which is perfection) or some dinky sample tube of mascara (doesn't compare to the sample of diorshow i got from birchbox) or some small bottle of some bath thingy i don't even remember what.

i was kind of disappointed and wanted to say something because i thought i was supposed to get the sugar lip balms, but i didn't say anything because it's free and i know how much of a pain it is to work in service/retail.

darn. i was debating putting up this sugar lip balm that they gave me for trade but i caved in and used it yesterday (once).  my birthday is in december so i'm not looking forward to the birthday.gif gift at all :(

This is kind of off topic but I received the Masqeology pore minimizing mask in a trade and am super excited to try it. My good friend (and fellow BB obssessor) just came back from the Philippines and brought me back a bunch of samples including more masks! Check it out....700

Originally Posted by quene8106 View Post

Oh hi friend!! I didn't know they had a new Sephora there, I'll have to check it out!

I'm going to miss NY when I move... there are NO Sephoras near where I'll be in NH... :-(

Edited: Oh crap. Guys, I will be living in the mother effing boonies. No Mac, No Sephora.

On the plus side, there seem to be hot guys EVERYWHERE. So I guess it's a fair trade.

My profile is true and correct, and I haven't gotten a single thing in 7 months that doesn't go with my skin tone. Could be luck, but I dunno.

Originally Posted by MollyC2153 View Post

Oh hi friend!! I didn't know they had a new Sephora there, I'll have to check it out!

I'm going to miss NY when I move... there are NO Sephoras near where I'll be in NH... :-(

Edited: Oh crap. Guys, I will be living in the mother effing boonies. No Mac, No Sephora.

On the plus side, there seem to be hot guys EVERYWHERE. So I guess it's a fair trade.

hola friend! lol  

i would love to live in New Hampshire. I spent a semester there and didn't want to leave.  I was in Manchester.  Everyone is very nice and friendly there but be prepared for the below 0 temps, daily.  My body got used to it after a week.

There was a small Sephora in the Shops at Columbus Circle (the rich people's mall, lol) but they just closed it and re-opened a bigger and better location down the hall from it.  The Sephora employees wear black and red now.  I dig their new uniforms :)

Oh, I'm jumping on this bandwagon because it's a fresh wound.

I just bought my husband one of those cologne samplers where you try them out, then bring back the certificate for a full-size of your choice...it was 50 bucks. Bought it at the JCP Sephora b/c they're across the street from our house, and the 'real' Sephora is 30 minutes away.  Yeah, didn't get ANY Insider points for it.  When I realized that, I looked at my last JCP/Sephora purchase and I also didn't get points for a 20 dollar face scrub and a toner, either! WTH?

I need to call them and see what's up with that, but I know they're just going to tell me that the JCP stores are "a little different" - that was the answer I got when I asked a couple questions about something else.  They should tell you BEFOREHAND when purchases won't net you any points, though, IMO.   

JCP/Sephora told me I WOULD get points for some stuff I bought but it never happened. I should dig up the receipt and complain, but just too busy and it's prolly been way too long anyway

this is totally off topic but oh welllll i just had to share this. i went in to sephora at my jc pennys today to claim my birthday gift, and the only choice they gave me was this tiny little pencil eyeliner (no thanks, just got eyeko and i have UD 24/7 in black which is perfection) or some dinky sample tube of mascara (doesn't compare to the sample of diorshow i got from birchbox) or some small bottle of some bath thingy i don't even remember what. i was kind of disappointed and wanted to say something because i thought i was supposed to get the sugar lip balms, but i didn't say anything because it's free and i know how much of a pain it is to work in service/retail.
I'd go back bc at the Sephora inside the JC penny's by me,they have a sign at the register saying that the sugar balms ARE the birthday gift from having the Sephora card . Plus go to Sephora .com and see if they have it posted there. How much in advance do they send it out? I have had a card for years and never received a gift. Do they send a card to you or do you just go in and get it ? Thanks !

i emailed birchbox a while back letting them know my card said i was getting minteas and i got the lara bar instead (i didn't mind, but i wanted to see if they would give me points or something). they got back to me and said they would let me know if they had inventory to send out.

welp i got my mints in today and they're pretty yummy! i got matcha chai.

That's funny.  When I emailed them they said it was an error in printing the card and left it at that. :(

Originally Posted by tevans View Post

I'd go back bc at the Sephora inside the JC penny's by me,they have a sign at the register saying that the sugar balms ARE the birthday gift from having the Sephora card .

Plus go to Sephora .com and see if they have it posted there.

How much in advance do they send it out? I have had a card for years and never received a gift.

Do they send a card to you or do you just go in and get it ?

Thanks !

They don't automatically send it out. I'm not sure if you have to make a purchase to receive it online/in-store. I've always purchased something with it so I wouldn't know. Lol

Pretty sure you can get it anytime during your birthday month. They show it on the Beauty Insider page when you log in on the website.

Originally Posted by calexxia View Post

JCP/Sephora told me I WOULD get points for some stuff I bought but it never happened. I should dig up the receipt and complain, but just too busy and it's prolly been way too long anyway

Ooh, good to know.  Maybe there's hope.

They don't automatically send it out. I'm not sure if you have to make a purchase to receive it online/in-store. I've always purchased something with it so I wouldn't know. Lol

Pretty sure you can get it anytime during your birthday month. They show it on the Beauty Insider page when you log in on the website.

You don't have to purchase anything to get it, but they don't automatically send it out either. If you buy something online, its automatically included... otherwise you pretty much just have to go in a store and ask for your birthday gift. :)

Just saying... that vanilla birthday cake body wash by philosophy (thats the bath stuff) smells amazing and I wish I had an endless stock. :) If anyone gets it and wants to trade it... I'm your girl! smile.gif

Originally Posted by jkwynn View Post

Ooh, good to know.  Maybe there's hope.

Also, you can save your points if you want. Usually they have like a 500 points "bigger sample" kind of like a gwp that you'd get at a makeup counter. Or you can pick mutliple products if you have the points. I only use the points if I see a sample I want!

Originally Posted by jkwynn View Post

Oh, I'm jumping on this bandwagon because it's a fresh wound.

I just bought my husband one of those cologne samplers where you try them out, then bring back the certificate for a full-size of your choice...it was 50 bucks. Bought it at the JCP Sephora b/c they're across the street from our house, and the 'real' Sephora is 30 minutes away.  Yeah, didn't get ANY Insider points for it.  When I realized that, I looked at my last JCP/Sephora purchase and I also didn't get points for a 20 dollar face scrub and a toner, either! WTH?

I need to call them and see what's up with that, but I know they're just going to tell me that the JCP stores are "a little different" - that was the answer I got when I asked a couple questions about something else.  They should tell you BEFOREHAND when purchases won't net you any points, though, IMO.   

Thats the exact reason why I don't shop at JCP Sephora anymore. I want my points!

Aside from that, such a pain to return something at JCP. They even had to take my Driver License # to return something.