reusable or disposable razors?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Razor blades have become increasingly more expensive. I'm tired of shelling out $20 for a couple of razors. On a whim I picked up some disposables: "Venus Sensitive". I remember disposables not being so good, but I'm willing to give them another try.

Do you do disposable razors or or the kind with interchangeable blades? Is there a decent disposable out there that someone can recommend?

I have a ridiculous stock pile of razors...disposables and interchangeable ones. Coupons are my answer! Watch for sales at CVS, stack the sales with coupons, and you'll be spending MUCH less before you know it. 

I find disposables are more cheaply made than cartridge razors. I am more likely to get razor burn or cuts from disposables. I have switched to an epilator so I don't use razors at all anymore. $50 for an epilator and I've had it for a year now.

Originally Posted by divadoll /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I find disposables are more cheaply made than cartridge razors. I am more likely to get razor burn or cuts from disposables. I have switched to an epilator so I don't use razors at all anymore. $50 for an epilator and I've had it for a year now.
Do they work?

Work? Of course they work. If you are used to waxing, you'll already have the pain tolerance. I used to shave every day...stubs galore if I missed a day. It has been about a year...maybe a little less than a year. The hairs on my legs and underarms are considerably finer and come in slower. I epilate 2-3x a week on my underarms and once a week for my legs.

Work? Of course they work. If you are used to waxing, you'll already have the pain tolerance. I used to shave every day...stubs galore if I missed a day. It has been about a year...maybe a little less than a year. The hairs on my legs and underarms are considerably finer and come in slower. I epilate 2-3x a week on my underarms and once a week for my legs.
Diva - do you use the epliator for the bikini area also? Do you have to wait for the hair to grow to a certian length in order to use it?

Thinking about getting one...

Diva - do you use the epliator for the bikini area also? Do you have to wait for the hair to grow to a certian length in order to use it? Thinking about getting one...
I have 2 epilators...1 Braun rechargeable/wet dry and 1 corded Remington. The Braun has interchangeable heads and is not very gentle. I use the Remington on my bikini area. It's easier to use when hair is shorter. It hurts more when hair reaches about 1/4" long or more. Be careful as it may pinch. It hurts a lot when your skin gets caught. Make sure you pull your skin Tight! I usually epilate that area about 2-3x as well. My hair grows fast regardless of how deep roots are, everyone is different. What appears to be 1/16" on the surface is actually 1/2" and I just did that area 2 days before. When I first started, I was epilating every day. Now the hairs growing from my underarms are very fine. It still get rid of them because i hate hair. I epilate my forearms once a month or more. I only have a few leg hairs which I still epilate because using tweezers hurt a lot. Try to start a few days after you wax that area. It works better, hurts less. If you are after a Hollywood wax or Brazilian, get it done or by the wax and do it first. Do a couple of them before epilating. It will deaden the pain sensors first. To go from shaving to epilating your bikini area maybe too much pain to bare. It'd be a waste of money if you decide you can't take the pain after 1 try. After a year, I don't feel it anymore unless I get pinched but I've only been pinched twice -once by each device! That was when I did not follow my own advice of pulling my skin tight.

You"re right. I used that disposable, I have little nicks all over my legs. Guess they're more expensive for a reason, they're just made better.

That sucks! I'd pay more not to get razor burn and cuts. It's just not worth the savings. I really like the Gillette Fusion Power. The cartridges are expensive but they lasted a really long time. If you dried your razor after you used it instead of leaving it wet in the shower, they'll last months and months...up to 6 months per cartridge if not longer.

Originally Posted by Playedinloops /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I have a ridiculous stock pile of razors...disposables and interchangeable ones. Coupons are my answer! Watch for sales at CVS, stack the sales with coupons, and you'll be spending MUCH less before you know it. 
I completely agree with this. I also have a huge stockpile of disposable and reusable razors. Most I got for free or very cheap with stacking coupons and sales.

Last year I got turned onto Double Edge razors (The old kind that razor blades go into) when I was looking into a way to help my husband with ingrown hairs. I love it. It's cheap, much better for the environment and you can use a new blade every time you shave. The other day I got a razor sample from Target and I used it because I was in a hurry; I'm regretting that now because my leg is covered in little bumps now.

I use a 5 blade cartridge kind of razor from CVS. It's their brand, so it's a bit cheaper than the other brands. I got it and a 4 pack of replacement cartridges for like $2 using ExtraCare Bucks

Disposable men's razors work best for me.

Like a lot of people mentioned earlier, I usually stock up during sales and stack coupons.

Back