On The Lookout For A Great Waterproof Eyeliner

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Of course none of us wants our eyeliner to run or smudge, but does anyone else have super watery eyes that make keeping eyeliner pristine a challenge?

I'm not sure if it's allergies or what...but lately my eyes water more than they used to...and I'm constantly trying new eyeliners to find one that will stay put even on my wateriest days.

Does anyone have an awesome liner that they can recommend? 
smile.gif

What color are u looking for? Urban Decay has their 24 hour Glide On pencils that are definitely a cult fave and they come in awesome colors including one that is as black as u can get, it's called Perversion. NYX did their version, and they're called the Slide On pencils and they quite a few colors to choose from as well.

YSL has a waterproof one, I haven't tried it though. I like Estee Lauder eye pencil. It doesn't budge. I received a sample size and I'm very impressed. I've also used MAC fluidline gel eye liner that you apply with a brush and it stays on extremely well.

not sure how you feel about cheapy brands vs higher end vs drugstore, but i found NYC brand, i think, waterproof liner at dollar tree in brown, smokey plum, green, light blue and dark blue.  i don't have watery eyes, but i wear contacts and sometimes my eyes dry out (causing me to rub them).  let me tell you, these are a BEAR to get off.  i usually clean my face at night with a baby wipe and the wipe on its own does not do a thing to get the color off. 

in general I would avoid pencil liners--there are some great budge-proof/waterproof ones, but even then they're more prone to smudging than a waterproof liquid liner. I didn't get to use it for long because it started to leak everywhere, but I didn't have any problems with the urban decay one. If you want to switch up your routine a little, try a gel liner. I have the tarte clay liner and it lasts all day on me.

I'm also looking for a waterproof liner! I put on the Urban Decay 24/7 Glide-On pencil and went swimming, but it sorta got messy after - I looked like a racoon. But then again, it didn't say it was waterproof... 

If you're looking for something cheap, ELF's waterproof eyeliner is pretty nice. $1 and glides on pretty well. Just not on the waterline. The point isn't super precise though (as in, it's a little thick). Lorac also has an eyeliner that's pretty nice--really dark, stays on well, and super duper thin point. Milani has a liquid eyeliner in this little bottle thing...it's VERY waterproof but basically impossible to wash off :|

If you're looking for something for the waterline in pencil for, Prestige total intensity eyeliner!! I like it way more than UD's 24/7 pencil eyeliners haha. It's not waterproof but in general it stays pretty well for a pencil eyeliner.

Too Faced has a newer liner out that I recently picked up that's totally waterproof & comes in 5 or 6 vibrant colors. I got it in Peacock. It's got a very nice smudger on the end & applies like silk. But it sets to a totally mess-free finish. It doesn't move until you take it off with makeup remover. I found that in Sephora on the shelf right under their new mascara display for about $22 Canadian. That mascara BTW is insanely expensive & no better than L'Oreal Double Extend, which is far far cheaper. It also flakes. I tried it in the store on my bare lashes & found pieces of it on my face less than an hour later. Buuuttttt.....I gotta say, the NYX Slide On liners are just as good & are a fraction of the price. I've got those in 4 colors & have found they apply just as nicely as Too Faced's newer liners. They set in exactly the same way. My eyes water quite a bit if the wind picks up & I've never had an issue with these running or smudging. Milani has a liquid liner that is pretty much exactly like MAC's Liquid Last liner. That stuff gleeps on to the skin like glue. I have it in black but don't use it much because it really requires some scrubbing to get that sucker off. I'm not a fan of Urban Decay products at all, including their liners. I've got a couple, one of which came with one of their palettes I stupidly bought & another which came from one of my subscription services. Don't like them, never have. They smudge, they run, they don't stay put on my waterline for any length of time and are generally just overpriced rubbish. Considering how much they charge for their liners, I expected far more from them.

I always tight line and usually I find that all pen eyeliners are not good enough and will definitely smudge and transfer to my lower lash line after about an hour. I've started using the Physicians Formula Eye brightening pencil liner recently (the one that comes in trio) and realised that it doesn't seem to have that problem!!

Might be worth a try. Although it's not as pigmented as Milani's but it's not tooooo light either!

Hands down. The Stila Cosmetics waterproof eyeliner in intense black. Turned so many people to it. Its a felt tip pen. So you get a lot of control. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I LOVE the Urban Decay eyeliners. I don't typically care if my eyeliners are waterproof or not, so I guess I'm the wrong person to ask. . . . :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I've been using Revlon's Colorstay eyeliner crayon for about 2 years now. It's awesome!!! I HATE using liquid eyeliner except for special occasions (I'm actually good at it, but i'm just really lazy 
smiletongue.gif
) and this crayon is a really nice substitute. :)

you can definitely tell that it's a crayon (as in the texture is that of a nice crayon), but the color payoff is nice and dark, and it goes on really smoothly. it stays on all day and won't come off if you cry.. or accidentally squirt something in your eye. it can smudge if you go swimming or something (but that is to be expected of almost all eyeliners that aren't liquid).

the best part? its only like $7-$8 dollars at the drugstore or Target!! score!!

however, if you do prefer liquid/gel liner for whatever reason, i would recommend Maybelline's Eyestudio Lasting Drama Gel Liner. It's about 10 times easier to apply than a regular fluid liner... but i still prefer my colorstay :)

~abby

I don't really use liners on the waterline on the bottom, but I always use liner on the upper eyelid rim and I have found UD 247 in Zero works best.  Perversion may be darker, but smudges MUCH more imo.  If lining the bottom lashes, try using primer.  I always put a little on and blend with a small brush or qtip before applying liner.  I also like Benefit badgal waterproof liner and for drugstore Revlon Colorstay in Black-brown.

I used the blue milani liquid liner for fairy swirls on my face for a renaissance fairy costume.  I expected to sweat and didn't want the swirls to fade.  The swirls stayed put all day even with wiping sweat off my face.  Yes, it is a little time consuming tto get off, but I think it's worth it.

i use the maybeline waterproof, it lasts forever! i use a color called brownish black

Back