Does laser for toenail fungus really work?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have had toenail fungus for many years, not on all nails, but on several and I’ve decided to finally do something about it. What I want to know is, does the laser treatment really work? And how long does it take to get complete result? I know these are a lot of questions but I would just like to know what the cost is and if it is really affective. Thanks for your help!

I have had this issue with one of big toenails before.  I have NEVER heard of the laser treatment before (sorry) but here's what worked for me.  I went to a podiatrist and he gave me a "nail polish" that kills the fungus.  It took about 6 weeks of daily application before it cleared.  It clears the fungus so that as your nail grows out the "affected" part can be clipped off and no more fungus grows.  It worked really well for me, and i think the bottle cost about $30 and I purchased it from the podiatrists office (no follow up dr's appt needed).  Hope this helps guide you.

I have had this issue with one of big toenails before.  I have NEVER heard of the laser treatment before (sorry) but here's what worked for me.  I went to a podiatrist and he gave me a "nail polish" that kills the fungus.  It took about 6 weeks of daily application before it cleared.  It clears the fungus so that as your nail grows out the "affected" part can be clipped off and no more fungus grows.  It worked really well for me, and i think the bottle cost about $30 and I purchased it from the podiatrists office (no follow up dr's appt needed).  Hope this helps guide you

I've heard of it before. From what I've heard is that it works immediately but the toe nail still has to grow out before the nail is pretty again. Usually 1 treatment is all that is needed. I have no ideas how much it costs though. You can get a pedi right after treatment though. If you do it let us know!

Laser is not necessary. Give yourself a foot bath using Epsom salts & baking soda in a plastic tub that fits both of your feet. Use water that's quite warm. Soak for a good 30 minutes while watching tv. Take a pumice stone & exfoliate any areas that have peeling skin. Dry your feet really well. Immediately apply pure, undiluted tea tree essential oil & pure, undiluted lavender essential oil. You can put a bunch of both oils into a roller ball applicator if you want to. It might make it more convenient for you to apply the oils. Apply the essential oils very liberally to all of the areas affected by the fungus. Get a good amount around your toe nails. Let it soak in really well. Then just sit and let your feet air dry for the rest of the night. Keep the socks & slippers off. You can do this every other night, or even every night, until you can see that the fungus has cleared up. Try to wear only cotton socks when you do wear them. I know this works because my son picked something like this up at a swimming pool. The foot baths & essential oils cleared it all up within a week or so and it's never come back.

I was asking questions about this randomly when I was at a medical spa getting laser hair removal since I was curious. Lasers seem to be able to do so much!  The way that it was explained to me is that it heats up the area to an inhospitable temperature for fungus, which should kill it for good.  This particular place said that results were guaranteed.  I also see groupon/living social deals for this service frequently.  I can't speak about it personally, but this was the general info I've picked up.  Maybe you could find a place that guarantees results too?  Call and ask them questions.

It does NOT work!!  Don't waste your money.  This is an experimental procedure at this time.  I spent $1200 for nothing...!!  Of course, the podiatrist I saw was not trustworthy at all (later found out he was also cheating the insurance companies and performing surgeries incorrectly by removing too much bone and permanently damaging people's feet).  He took pictures of my toes my first appt and of course, when I asked to see them after a year, he mysteriously didn't have them.  Don't waste your time or hard-earned money.

I would go to a dr about it. There's a reason they treat people. Home remedies are all well and good but going a real doctor is better, imho.

I had the laser treatment and it worked.  I got it when pregnant with my second child and after four years of trying tea tree oil/Penlac/etc and nothing working, I got the laser treatment.  Apparently fungus is pretty common when pregnant so it came back while pregnant with my last child, but the doctor I went to guaranteed the process and so retreated the toes again for free.  It did take several months for the nail to fully grow out and look clear again, and I'm now afraid to wear toenail polish.  Apparently the fungus is all around us and likes to grow in dark places so if you wear toenail polish not only does it prefer to grow there, but you won't notice it and start to use home remedies to clear it up quickly before it gets so bad that home remedies no longer work.  I do keep my fingernails polished, as I still love polish.

Hi,

I have not had the need to have the treatment done but I work for a clinic that specializes in this procedure.  Our doctors use the PinPointe laser which is actually the most effective laser having about 80% cure rate. The cure rate is twice as high as topical medications or even the oral medications that have severe side effects. In addition the laser treatment has zero known side effects and even pregnant women can get the treatment done.

Ruta

Edit: Promo information removed

I have had a total of 5 laser treatments in the past 24 months, have used Formula 3 daily, have had 8 visits to the Podiatrist, paid approximately $1400 out of pocket and have seen very little improvement in correcting my toenail fungus problem.  This is extremely disappointing!  I think I am going to try the Vicks Vapo Rub therapy and see how that works.  I am a very active 49 year old male, and in my opinion, do not waste your hard earned $$ on the laser treatment!!

I'm a 52 year old male. In my 20's one of my big nails developed this fungus and slowly over time it spread to 8 of my toes. I tried buffing sanding and trimming with using all types of different fluids, oils and remedies. I gave up for a while.

A customer of mine is a podiatrist and had me use  a polish that you paint on your nails. Did this for a year with no change. Then I took a oral drug, we had to do a liver test and then monitor my liver during the drug use. All my nails cleared up except for one. I kept using the topical polish and it just never completely cleared up.

Well guess what? The fungus returned and I have 5 nails infected again. Not doing the drug as I like my liver and my Bourbon.  Going to give the laser a try. Its 200 bucks on a living special deal in town. I will write back as I know more.

Originally Posted by socks /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I'm a 52 year old male. In my 20's one of my big nails developed this fungus and slowly over time it spread to 8 of my toes. I tried buffing sanding and trimming with using all types of different fluids, oils and remedies. I gave up for a while.

A customer of mine is a podiatrist and had me use  a polish that you paint on your nails. Did this for a year with no change. Then I took a oral drug, we had to do a liver test and then monitor my liver during the drug use. All my nails cleared up except for one. I kept using the topical polish and it just never completely cleared up.

Well guess what? The fungus returned and I have 5 nails infected again. Not doing the drug as I like my liver and my Bourbon.  Going to give the laser a try. Its 200 bucks on a living special deal in town. I will write back as I know more.
I went to a dermatologist for two nails and he suggested the oral drug, but I don't want to risk any liver damage. I just don't wear open-toed shoes. Other than looks, it doesn't really affect me so I guess I am just stuck with them forever. :/

Treatment for fungal infection of the nail is quite hard... Usually treatment will take 6-8wks.. Never heard laser tx for it because this is a fungal infection the most ideal treatment is anti-fungals. Use of open shoes or sandals is better since it allows the air to cirulate and not lock moisture in (the moisture is an excellent media for growth of fungus). There are also other reasons for nails to look like they have fungal infection. Better visit your doctors and dermatologst for proper treatment.

I had it (took 6 visits) and $500 out of pocket.  It DID NOT work.  I am so bummed out.

Please don't waste your money I spent $1200 for three laser treatments and in fact they made it worse! The technician blamed me saying that she didn't know what I was doing at home, so insulting! I was absolutely religious about following all of the precautions. I really don't know why this treatment is approved. A lot of people are being taken advantage of.

I wanted to let you know that I'm a woman in my 30's who also had toenail fungus. I am thinking to try laser therapy but it is too expensive. You didn't mention if yours is growing out, but my best advice would be patience. Mine took about two years to grow out and go away -- but ultimately did. I used All Stop Toenail fungus Treatment  by Q-based Solutions company put it twice a day and always make it dry. Perhaps you can wear polish when you want to have sandals on. Good luck.

what ever i know about laser, it really works well. new technology is really good. you can try it but definitely need to have any agreement for sure.

Latest posts

Back