Does this foundation exist?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My ideal foundation:

-Does not cause acne/irritation

-Fragrance-free (allergy issues)

-Moderate or better coverage without looking cakey

-Long lasting

-For combination/oily skin - skin around mouth and chin is dry; forehead and sides of nose become an oil slick by mid-day.

-$30 or less, ideally

I'm currently using Clinique's Even Better foundation, and tried their Acne Solutions and Perfectly Real foundations.  I love the coverage they initially provide, and it makes me feel good knowing that they don't contain fragrances and irritants, but they don't seem to last through the work day.  I have to blot the oil off my forehead and cheeks usually twice a day, and it seems like the makeup disappears either because of that or something else.  I've tried using Bare Minerals in the past, but hated it (made me super itchy), as well as Physicians Formula mineral foundations, but I didn't like the way the powders just sat on top of my face.  Honestly, am I being too picky?

Or, would I be able to stick with my current foundation if I add a good primer in?  If so, what is a good primer?

I do like Revlon's Colorstay.

-Didn't break me out that I noticed.

-No fragrance that I know of.

-Full coverage. A little too much for me, but you can use however much.

-Very long-lasting.

-They make a special one for combination/oily skin. It seemed to help with the dryness, but not so much with the oil.

-Around $10.

One of the things I don't like is that a lot of the colors are either very grey or very orange. The don't seem to make a good pink-ish color. I've tried two shades and they both look a bit like bronzer, so be careful when picking out your color.

Overall give it a try. It's not perfect but I think it will match your criteria.

Thank you!  After doing some reading I was actually thinking of trying out the ColorStay products.  I went to Sephora this weekend and after giving them the same criteria I did here, they recommended Tarte's 12 hour clay foundation and setting powder.  $70 for the two products and I'm not seeing any improvement in length of wear, and the coverage isn't that great.  Yeesh.

I have sensitive, oily, acne-prone skin as well and the best foundation I've used to date is Smashbox Studio Skin. It's the only foundation that lasts all day for me, doesn't break me out, and helps with oil control. It is expensive, unfortunately, and the color selection isn't great either. I'd suggest getting a sample from sephora. I also use Tarte clay setting powder and Dr. Jart premium BB cream and they both help as well. Hope that helps!

Ooooh! That was the one I first had in mind because it's the first expensive foundation I'm totally in love with - but the op said she wants to pay $30 or less.

Studio Skin is hands down a real gem.

I picked up the ColorStay Whipped Creme foundation last night, as well as the ColorStay Photo Ready compact foundation.  I used the Whipped stuff first, and then dabbed on the PR stuff as it dries to a powdery finish.  It's noon now, and so far it seems to be holding up pretty well.  I have a little dryness around my mouth, but I'll just have to remember to avoid that with the PR stuff.  I'm a little pore-y looking, but I'm hoping a primer will help with that; I didn't use a primer today as I wanted to see how the foundation performed on it's own.  The Whipped foundation blends really nicely with my skin tone and color, so that's a relief!  Here's hoping that I don't end up breaking out from this stuff! :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Back