Makeup Blog Help?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
     Hey everyone, I really need some help! I started a blog about a week ago and I have 2 posts up, one on warpaint swatches and one about a sigma giveaway on some other site

BUT I cant decide for the life of me how to get more people to see what I have// or figure out what people want me to post! 

Does anyone have any ideas what I should write about or post? Or how to get more people to view it?

http://pershinbeauty.blogspot.com/ Here's the link to my blog

It's been one week and 2 posts. It will take time for people to start visiting. Just make sure you are properly tagging posts, tweet and post your links to your facebook page, and with time people will come. As far as content, just post stuff you want to share with others.

Originally Posted by PershinBeauty /img/forum/go_quote.gif

BUT I cant decide for the life of me how to get more people to see what I have// or figure out what people want me to post! 
Don't worry about what people want you to post--post what you want to post, so that you develop a cohesive style from the start; then, when you DO have a built-up audience, you can get their input and allow them to influence (never let them dictate) your course.

people constantly search for product reviews--that's how they find your blog! i.e. if you do a review on a particular brand of eyeliner, you'll get hits from people who are interested in buying that product. it helps to have clear, descriptive images, which you already seem to have :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

you could comment on other blogs for exposure, but don't be annoying about it--i.e. "LOVE YOUR POST, XOXO CHECK OUT MY BLOG AND FOLLOW ME: XXX.BLOGSPOT.COM" kind of reads as spam

hosting giveaways is an easy way to get followers, if that's what you want--you could get exposure for your giveaways by asking blog giveaway sites to post yours.

Also, if there's a product you want to review (especially from indie cosmetic brands) contact that company and tell them you want to review their product(s).  Work out an agreement that once your blog review is posted, you send the link to them, and they can post a link to your blog via their website, facebook and twitter accounts.  That way you are reaching fans of that company that have never heard of your blog - it's a great way to reach a larger audience - and that company would be happy and proud to post links to your blog where you review THEIR product.  Also if you're going to do a giveaway of a specific brand, consider contacting them as well to ask for help in promotion - most companies would be happy to have someone else helping to promote their product and therefore would be happy to help promote your blog/giveaway.  

Now to your actual blog...i tried clicking the link to the giveaway and it's not an actual link.  Also, people relate and appreciate (i think) when they go to a blog and they see a picture of who they're dealing with and a "mission statement" like who you are why you're here and what you'll be talking about in your blog (even if it's all over the place).  I love going to a makeup blog and seeing the person that's actually doing the writing, i can relate to a human face.  Also, to see complete looks using your haul would be fun - i always want to know how to use fun colors in a complete look.

As far as what to write about, I agree with the others, follow what you think is fun and excites you - that's the reason you started the blog right? was to share with the world what you think is nifty - so go share.  As a blogger, you bring to your readers what they might not find on their own, new looks, new brands, new ideas and a new personality! :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Don't expect a million readers all at once.  I also couldn't find a facebook link within your blog - facebook is a great way to connect with other bloggers and let your current friends know "hey i posted a new blog, check it out and leave a comment to tell me what you think, i'm so excited about my new project - would love my friends' input" - post on facebook everytime you have a new blog post.

Sorry this was such a ramble, i wish you the best of luck - you're writing is awesome - stick with it and always show your personality!!

yeah i recently started once too(by recent I mean like lsat december) and ive VERY slowly started building up followers, I only have 52 right now(mainly b/c i hosted a giveaway) but I've found I get the most exposure from doing swatches on different products. AmericanClassic is right, ppl go to all different blogs to search for product reviews. You can check mine out to see what I'm doing, but it really does take a VERY long time to get a good amount of followers, you need to be patient.

I feel the same way I just started a blog and I have no idea how to get followers HELP!?? My blog is thestarletmuse.com

I would suggest when taking photos of swatches, make sure that it's a close up. People want to see color, texture, finish, etc. They want to see the details. Crop your photos to exclude anything that's unnecessary or that keeps people from being able to see those details. I noticed that some or quite a few of your swatch photos show the swatches way too far in the background. Take product photos separately. I'd also personally try to keep basically the same format for swatch posts, review posts, etc. Develop your own style. People wind up identifying with that. It's also good to take a look at other people's blogs - especially the ones that people rave about - and learn from that. Notice what they do right. There's a reason people love their blogs. Karla Sugar & Temptalia are 2 very well known blogs that are extremely well done. Never rip another bloggers format, images, icons, etc off or anything like that, though. Just learn from them. Identify what pulls you into their posts. Identify what you & other followers love about their style, their writing, the way they relate to people through their writing. Ripping other bloggers off will make you a whole lot of enemies. I see a lot of this going on all over the place, but especially in the makeup community. Really really bad form. Always do your best to act ethically & fairly. Set a goal to write a minimum number of posts a week. Or even 1 a day. They don't all have to be swatch articles. Once again, get inspired by what other people are doing & go from there. Try to show at least some of your own originality, personality & creativity in your articles, while learning from others. Google loves content, as well as websites/blogs that are constantly having content added to them. The more articles you write, the faster the search engines will start paying serious attention to you. And come up with your own original banner design/logo which people will identify specifically with you. Don't be afraid to show your own little quirks. I've visited blogs before that technically were spot on, but where the blog owners had zero personality of their own. Those types bore me within 5 minutes & I never go back or recommend them to other people. I personally can't stand overly formal blogs, or blogs that anybody could have written. Yes, people want info etc but they also want to get to know you. The way for them to do that is through your writing. Just think of it this way: if you spoke in a monotone & pretended to be something that you're not when face to face with people, people would quickly get tired of listening to you or hanging out with you. The same thing applies to blogging. Let yourself show.

I feel your frustration I too just started a blog and I know it won't happen overnight but I've been doing everything suggested here and still nothing : ( This is my blog thestarletmuse.com maybe I just need some constructive criticism???

I'd also suggest adding more options for following.  Some people like an RSS feed. Some people like an email. Other people use Google Friend Connect or Bloglovin'. 

Thank you all for the really good advice! i just added another post and it did get more viewers and i labled my posts so they'd come up in searches :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Hi Jessi,

I checked out your blog and though your content and photos look great, you lack the following that will surely keep visitors keep coming back:

1. Opt-in form -  Readers can give you their emails so that you can send them updates whenever you post something new on your blog.

2. RSS feed - These can help you get found in search results.

Good luck!

Latest posts

Back