Makeup and travel-- how much do you pack?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hooray for summer and all the fun travels! 

How much makeup do you typically pack when you travel? Do you bring your entire traincase or a small bag?

I take a small bag. It's vacation and if you're spending it at the beach, dont even bother with makeup. We cruise a lot and I color coordinate my makeup to my clothes. That way I dont end up packing a lot "what if" makeup. I only wear makeup to dinner on those trips, and maybe shore excursions.

I actually pack very lightly in general (too many years of airline work and flying space-A, I guess). But especially with makeup: I reason that if I need something, I can always pick it up where I am or do without. 

My travel makeup kit contains the following, at all times (multitasking is KEY):

Cheek/lip stain

One three-to-four pan eyeshadow palette with a variety of purples in it (which one changes from time to time)

Black Mascara

Clear top coat

Basic tools (Tweezerman, three small brushes, cleansing wipes--usually whichever sample of these I've most recently received)

Dark brown pencil eyeliner, since I can use it for brows AND lining

Clear lip balm

A handful of packet cleansing/moisturizing samples

A handful of packet shampoo/conditioner samples

Travel-size hairspray (also works as a setting spray on my face LOL)

That's what I keep packed and is similar to what I carry in my purse. I add a few items, but with those basics, I'm pretty much covered for any emergency :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I'm also in the boat of a small makeup kit to bring along. Also, it kind of depends on what kind of trip I'm going to be taking. If we're going camping in the woods for a week, then I'll pretty much bring next to nothing. But, if I'm going home to visit my folks and I know I'll be going out and doing a lot of socializing, I'll bring a lot more. Also, I tend to not bring high-end makeup with me, just in case it gets lost, stolen, or jostled around a bit too much during travel.

Here's what has been travelling with me recently makeup-wise:

Maybelline Dream Matte Mousse foundation

Benefit Boi-ing concealer

Rimmel translucent powder

NYX blush stick in hibiscus

Maybelline Colossal mascara

elf mineral eyeshadow primer

NYX Caribbean palette in I dream of St. Maarten

elf tinted lip balm in mellow melon

theBalm Stainiac

I take a smaller makeup bag.  I always take sample packets of whatever I can- foundation, tinted moisturizer, face products, etc.  I take a smaller sized mascara, and pretty much downsize everything.  Fragrance, is always sample sprays- the number depends on how many days I'll be on vacation.

I pack a 4 pot brown palette, a black and a brown eye liner and my mascara. I may pack 2 or 3 lipsticks depending but that is it.

I am a compulsive over-packer!! I need to know that all my favs are at the ready.  I typically use a large Trina Turk for Clinique makeup bag and throw in all of my latest "go-to" products.  While there are some products I only pack one of (like a mascara - who needs multiples for a trip?), there are others that require options (like lipstick shades, for example).  I also pack a roll-on fragrance.  I find it fun to also throw in a few products that I haven't really used yet as a way to force myself to get acquainted with them. 

It really depends on where I'm going.  So far in my life, I've never taken a vacation that wasn't to a beach or to a cottage, so I don't bother with a lot of makeup.  I'll bring a summer-print makeup bag and add sunscreen, lip balm with SPF, mascara, a pencil that I can use for both eyelining and brows, and a lipgloss or two.  I'll also throw in face wipes, shampoo samples, and a travel size version of a body spray. 

Originally Posted by calexxia /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I actually pack very lightly in general (too many years of airline work and flying space-A, I guess). But especially with makeup: I reason that if I need something, I can always pick it up where I am or do without. 

My travel makeup kit contains the following, at all times (multitasking is KEY):

Cheek/lip stain

One three-to-four pan eyeshadow palette with a variety of purples in it (which one changes from time to time)

Black Mascara

Clear top coat

Basic tools (Tweezerman, three small brushes, cleansing wipes--usually whichever sample of these I've most recently received)

Dark brown pencil eyeliner, since I can use it for brows AND lining

Clear lip balm

A handful of packet cleansing/moisturizing samples

A handful of packet shampoo/conditioner samples

Travel-size hairspray (also works as a setting spray on my face LOL)

That's what I keep packed and is similar to what I carry in my purse. I add a few items, but with those basics, I'm pretty much covered for any emergency :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />
Small bag of goodies for me!  Similar to Calexxia... the basics keep me going and I love palettes for travel purposes. 

For 1 month away, I packed a small pouch. My mom was shocked I didn't bring a Caboodle.

Makeup:

Lash Curler

Black Mascara

Black liner pencil

Beige liner pencil

Self made palette of 6 eye shadows I could mix to get colors (dark brown, navy, green, purple, white, gold), and 2 blushes (bright pink, peach), 1 pressed powder

Foundation (layer for concealing)

Bright pink lipstick, peach gloss, lip balm

Sample tubes of eye and face primer

Foundation/powder brush, brow brush, eyeshadow brush, smudge/crease brush, blush brush.

I always tend to bring more than I actually use, but this time I'm trying to cut it down to the basics. I'm leaving for vacation in couple days, and I plan on bringing:

-3 eyeshadows from my favorite (but bulky) too faced palette, depotted into a mini container w/hot glue

-small eyeshadow palette

-travel brush set, plus an eyeliner brush and cheek brush

-eyeshadow primer

-gel liner

-eyelash curler

-mascara

-blush

-brow powder

-BB cream in a small 1 oz container

-makeup remover wipes

-a couple lip glosses/lipsticks

Ugh. I hate packing for vacation. I normally take two or three small makeup bags (whatever it takes for my everyday products and a couple of choices for eyeshadows & lipglosses)

I usually try to bring the basic necessities, like any neutral eye palettes that I have, and a few other shades that are more eye-popping. For lips, I always have my lip balms with me no matter where I go. Lip colour, not so much. And then I have a compact foundation, some brushes, a blush or two, and my eyebrow shadow powder. It sounds like a lot, but as a beauty blogger, I think it's really just something simple! ;) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

xoxo,
Roxanne

I pack a large makeup bag that I put in my luggage and a smaller one that I always carry in my purse. 

I'm cringing even at the thought of downsizing for travel. Normally, I take my soft case bag, about the size of 2 laptop bags put together. Usually, I can fit all my skin care stuff in my suitcase, but here's the bare minimum Ill take on vacation:

Makeup:

At least 2 kinds of primer

Color correcting pallet 

Concealer

Foundation

Tinted Moisturizer

Powder

Blush

Bronzer

Setting Powder

Fix+

Eyelid primer

A neutral  and a color eyeshadow set

2 Mascaras

Lash Curler

2 eyeliners 

Lip liner/stick/gloss combo that can work with whatever

Entire brush roll (20 something brushes)

Tweezers

Hand Towel

Mirror 

Skincare

Makeup Wipes

Cold Cream

Day and Night face wash

Washcloth(Hotel ones are so rough, and I don't want to stain a family members, my makeup is dark!!)

ACV/Water Toner

Cotton Rounds

Day and night moisturizer

Depending on how long I'm there, Ill take a mini exfoliate and usually a mask if its longer than 4 days. 

It sounds like A LOT, but I have a lot of acne scars and un even skin, I cant just take a powder and a blusher. I need really good medium or all out full coverage all the time. 

I always pack my smalles caboodles traincase with makeup but I really think next time I'll be able to minimize more.  I've gotten much better multitasking products that I can create whole looks out of. 

Ugh, I hate packing for travel.  My head always gets full of what-ifs.

Makeup:

foundation

Dermablend loose setting powder (I love this one!)

black mascara

UD's primer potion mini

a black eyeliner

UD's Preen palette tends to be my go-to travel palette, but if I don't take it, it would be a palette with a good mix of brights and neutrals.

MAC Lightscapade MSF - this travels with me always.  I love this stuff, lol.

Concealer - I have this neat little concealer palette from Hard Candy that I really like.

2 lipsticks - one neutral/berryish and one vampy

Tools:

Stipling brush for foundation or a sponge

Powder brush

Dual ended eyeshadow brush with a round brush on one end and a flat fluffy brush on the other.  I'd pack every single one I own if I'd let myself.

Care:

Pre-moistened face wipes.  Right now I'm digging Burt's Bees.

I have to be super strict when packing, or I'd end up just rolling my entire stack out the door.

I like to take travel sizes in skin care and hair care whenever possible to save on space. My must-have products to make my skin look amazing on the trip. UltraPure Cosmetics Bright Skin Nouishing Cleanser, Hydra-Peptide Infusion Spray (hydrates skin after sun filled days, plus it's anti-inflammatory!), and Hydra-Lipid hydrating serum. for makeup, I like to skim it down to a few colors like the rest of the group. 1 pressed foundation and blush 1 eye liner 3 lipsticks 2 glosses 4 eye shadow - love UltraPures new pressed eye shadows (no dyes, talc, or bismuth in the formula) Mascara

I used to bring everything, but that was during the time where I could actually fit everything into a small bag! Now I bring:

-Eye primer

-Eyeshadow palette with color variety (I usually take my Stila Daydream palette- it has 22 shadow shades and is quite small)

-Black liquid eyeliner

-Black pencil eyeliner

-Mascara

-2 blushes

-Bronzer

-Face primer

-2 foundations (in case I tan a lot)

-Powder

-Concealer

-Browgel

-Tweezers

-Brush roll