July 2012 No-Buy/Low-Buy Support Group

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Another month has come and gone, and it's July! What are your goals for July? On a low-buy or a no-buy? Discuss it here!

So far I am still going strong on my no buy I started in March but I plan on ending it soon. I really want to play with some of the 24 hour color tattoo eye shadows and I really really want to play with some red eye shadow. So those are purchases that are coming up soon. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> A friend is sending me some loose eye shadow she has from Sugar Pill (I think) so depending on how that goes, I may be purchasing some of that as well.

That's excellent! You've done so well, you're definitely a model for the rest of us striving to be on a no-buy. I think you'll like the Color Tattoos. I have pomegranate punk, and it really makes a lovely base for shadows. It's not a total replacement my MAC paint pots since that's where I get my softer more neutral primers/bases, but I really do like it. Let me know how you like the Sugarpill shadows. I've wanted to try some of their products for ages since I've heard excellent things about them, but I tend to shy away from brighter colors.

My goals for this month:

-finish off the products that have just a little bit left in them. They're taking up so much space!

-Cut way, way back on purchases. I'm not making any online purchases, so this should really help a lot. 

Originally Posted by ladygrey /img/forum/go_quote.gif

That's excellent! You've done so well, you're definitely a model for the rest of us striving to be on a no-buy. I think you'll like the Color Tattoos. I have pomegranate punk, and it really makes a lovely base for shadows. It's not a total replacement my MAC paint pots since that's where I get my softer more neutral primers/bases, but I really do like it. Let me know how you like the Sugarpill shadows. I've wanted to try some of their products for ages since I've heard excellent things about them, but I tend to shy away from brighter colors.

My goals for this month:

-finish off the products that have just a little bit left in them. They're taking up so much space!

-Cut way, way back on purchases. I'm not making any online purchases, so this should really help a lot. 
I shy away from bright colors as well so I since I am challenging myself to do 2 make up looks a week, I'm going to make one of them out of my comfort zone and one not so much. Maybe I can discover some colors that way I would not have normally considered. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Originally Posted by Pancua /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I shy away from bright colors as well so I since I am challenging myself to do 2 make up looks a week, I'm going to make one of them out of my comfort zone and one not so much. Maybe I can discover some colors that way I would not have normally considered. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />
Maybe we can both work on using bright colors! I bought the UD anniversary palette recently, and it has some absolutely stunning colors in there, but I find myself still reaching for the nudes and neutrals all the time. I think I'm going to work on using colorful eyeshadows and see what kind of looks I can create with those. 

I'm really going to try to do a complete no-buy this month. Nothing but the essentials like food and gas. Definitely no makeup or clothes. I had a lot of expenses in May/June and did a lot of shopping and it's starting to catch up with me. Ack! I also need to start saving for my trip back to the east coast this fall.  My goal is to use up things from my stash and all my samples. I'm keeping my Birchbox and Sample Society but I'm skipping LBB this month. I never thought I'd skip LBB! 

Originally Posted by ladygrey /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Maybe we can both work on using bright colors! I bought the UD anniversary palette recently, and it has some absolutely stunning colors in there, but I find myself still reaching for the nudes and neutrals all the time. I think I'm going to work on using colorful eyeshadows and see what kind of looks I can create with those. 
I went and looked at the Color Tattoo pots today and  I MUST HAVE THEM ALL! Especially Pomegranate Punk! OMG! Bye bye NO buy! LOL

Originally Posted by LoriAnnLV /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I'm really going to try to do a complete no-buy this month. Nothing but the essentials like food and gas. Definitely no makeup or clothes. I had a lot of expenses in May/June and did a lot of shopping and it's starting to catch up with me. Ack! I also need to start saving for my trip back to the east coast this fall.  My goal is to use up things from my stash and all my samples. I'm keeping my Birchbox and Sample Society but I'm skipping LBB this month. I never thought I'd skip LBB! 
I think I'm going to NEED to do something in line with this. My husband just looked at his paystub online for July, and it's $900 less, making it a 25% cut to his pay. I really can't afford to splurge on anything, especially if this is now what he'll be making. I'm glad I cancelled Glossybox, and I can skip Julep and Beauty Army every month. Ugh. I really should go through and add up everything I spent in June, but I'm not going to since I know it will just make me want to shrivel up and die. Siiiigh. I was planning on a low-buy, but it looks like a no-buy is in order now. 

you can do it!! im a college girl and i really shouldnt be spending money on makeup that i dont need. i depotted all the eyeshadows in my collection and really made me realize how many of the same color i have. 

it gets easier as time goes by! :eek: /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />) keep us posted!

My goal for July is a simple one: No more than $50 on beauty supplies AND services (it's about time for the brows and a hair cut, unfortunately).

Also, to use up all of the VOC perfume samples I currently have, as well as prepare a new box for the shelter (still can't believe I had three totebags worth last month)

I am going to try to make July a low-buy month.  I have no spare cash left over from May and June, and August is my birthday, so I want to celebrate with some friends.  The way I'm trying to look at it is less money spent in July means more money to do something fun in August.  My goal is only to spend money on the essentials and a couple of nail polishes and lip butters.  I am hoping to get the orange and the dark metallic gren polishes in the new Spiderman collection, and that's it for nail polish.  I have too many.  And I want to get the Candy Apple Revlon Lip Butter.  Other than that, I don't see myself needing to buy anything even remotely related to makeup in July.   I also need a couple more pairs of shorts since my rear end expanded since last year and I haven't managed to find more than 3 pairs of shorts that fit this Summer.  I am hoping to also not spend more than $50.00 outside of essentials for July.

Good Luck to Everyone.
icon_cool.gif

Good luck everyone! It looks like July will be a frugal month for many. 

Oh, and I'm totally adding clothes/accessories/fashion stuff to my list of things to stay away from. I do not need any more stuff. Time to save up some money!

Is it July already?

I really need to stay on track w/ a no buy. There is nothing I need, no matter how good of a deal it is. I splurged so many times in June, that like you lady grey, I am afraid to add it up. What the hell was I thinking?

July is going to be rough as we already have started spending my hubbys next check (he doesn't get paid until friday). That's going to make the rest of the month tight :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> 

I need to check in more. I seem to disappear from this thread when I've been naughty. I have 3 subs that I really like (glossy,crave & julep) so that will have to be enough.

Good luck everyone!

My goals for this month include keeping track of my expenses on makeup. I feel like when I look at a three digit number and realize what I've spent, it sinks in more. I also tend to reward myself way too easily. For instance, if I go a week without heading to the makeup department in a store and buying something, the next week I'll be out and reward myself for being so good, haha. Only problem is, my reward always completely negates the progress I've made. This past month especially was bad. At the end of the month I was browsing my collection thinking, "Wow, how did I get so many new things this month?" Good luck to everyone else. I know we can do it! :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

There's nothing I need to buy, only wanting a big palette to depot all my shadows into. I'm going to tell myself low buy, because I feel better not completely cutting myself off...then i remind myself I spend enough $$ on 5 subs and will have more than enough goodies coming to me this month. I didn't think I did too bad in June, although I did two purchases towards the end of the month online. But I spent less than $50 and got some great deals on products I was already looking for..the Zoya deal, 3 full size polishes for $15 and some Mehron foundation pots, Ben Nye powder and a corrector palette. Plus, I somehow managed to win the BH cosmetics contest and scored some new makeup palettes and falsies! So I definitely don't need any shadows for a while! I think July will be a good month and I don't foresee myself getting too swept away. If that happens, I'm going to dig around in my stash and rediscover something! Good luck to us all!

Other than my subs, I'm going on a complete no buy this month, and I'll revisit the ban next month. I am in no danger of running out of anything in July, let alone for the rest of the year. 

One way I make it bearable is to keep a running wish list. When I see something I want, I add it to the list, and tell myself I could still get it at some point, just not now. This way I feel like I wont miss out.

I'm trying to decide if I want to get make up this month or shoes. LOL

Walgreens has a Cover Girl BOGO50% off sale going on and there are some pretty awesome coupons in the sunday paper. But ShoeDazzle has the BOGO Free special going on. DECISIONS!  LOL

Spent $2 today on a Milani nail polish (Key West) that I've been looking for for a couple of months and randomly found today.

Originally Posted by Pancua /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I'm trying to decide if I want to get make up this month or shoes. LOL

Walgreens has a Cover Girl BOGO50% off sale going on and there are some pretty awesome coupons in the sunday paper. But ShoeDazzle has the BOGO Free special going on. DECISIONS!  LOL
I'm in the same boat--well, kinda. I'm definitely not going to be buying any makeup, but there is a pair of Batman Chuck Taylors that I want. Nerdy, yes. They are awesome! But also kind of expensive,so I dunno. 

Makeup (or any other beauty product) is certainly off limits this month. Shoes...I feel like I can justify those a little more. 

Latest posts

Back