Your To-Die-For Eyeshadow brushes??

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jackieblue

Chic Geek
Reaction score
Hi there!

I hope this is the right place for this thread. I still feel somewhat new here!

I have always used the old school sponge applicators for my eyeshadows (I know, I know...). Recently I have begun to acquire some better matte eyeshadows with more pigmentation (UD, Stila, etc) and I don't think the cheapo disposables I have are the way to go. What are your very favorite brushes for powder eyeshadow? Do you use brush brushes or sponge brushes? Why?

I would really like to take the plunge because my application technique could be so much better. I just need some direction!  Ideas??

Thanks in advance!!

I have lots of favorite brushes.  I didn't used to love makeup as much until I started using brushes and they truly make huge difference in my application.  I was finally able to blend properly which is about 90% of eyeshadow application.  As many brushes as I have I really don't have a favorite. I rotate mine.  A good brand to start off with imo is Sonia Kashuk brushes that you can get at Target.  There are some lovely brushes there and Essence of Beauty brushes that you can get at CVS pharmacies.  I've seen some at Walmart but I've never bought them but maybe you can find an introduction set to see what you need the most or prefer. 

Even though they can run a bit pricey, I absolutely LOVE the sephora professionals IT brush line. A while back i picked up a set of 7 for $60, one of the best bargains i've made!

The face brushes I think can run up to $35 on their own.

Thank you this is helping already. I will have to look into all of these!!

Originally Posted by Jackieblue /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Hi there!

I hope this is the right place for this thread. I still feel somewhat new here!

I have always used the old school sponge applicators for my eyeshadows (I know, I know...). Recently I have begun to acquire some better matte eyeshadows with more pigmentation (UD, Stila, etc) and I don't think the cheapo disposables I have are the way to go. What are your very favorite brushes for powder eyeshadow? Do you use brush brushes or sponge brushes? Why?

I would really like to take the plunge because my application technique could be so much better. I just need some direction!  Ideas??

Thanks in advance!!
You're in the correct spot! :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

What's wrong with sponge applicators? Believe it or not many people do still use them and in fact I like sponge applicators.

So what are my favorite eye shadow brushes? I like two types and find myself reaching for two specific shape brushes - the "C" brush and the blending brush. Right now I've been using Obsessive Compulsive Cosmetic brushes along with Bdellium brushes. I have some Crown Brushes and some Shany brushes I'll be testing next. I like the OCC and the Bdellium brushes (especially how soft Bdellium's Bambu brushes are) but prior to these brushes I was using generic ones from Target and ones from Eco-Tools just fine.

Oh, I knew some people are successful with sponges, but I doubt the sponge applicators you are using look like the ones I have been using! Picture the cheapest package of disposable applicators you can get from Wal Mart...

I think I do have a set of brushes (still, very cheap) somewhere that has both. I will have to play. I would just really like to get better with technique and I recognize that some of my problem is the applicator. The rest is user error.
icon_lol.gif

I am grateful for the advice. I will have to take it in, spend a little bit or do some great trades, and play.

I buy mine at the dollar store or Sally's Beauty Supply. :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> I'm 37 and have wearing makeup since I was in my early teens - I want to say 13 judging by pictures - which means I've been using makeup for 25 years and have 25 years of experience. I only switched to using brushes more often within the last five years or so.

i buy mine at sophora they have the great quality brushes that are not as expensive as other stores but still as great

*edited to remove link*

Truebeauty which Sephora types have you tried? I am coveting the $60 I.T. Collection, but I am definitely open. Also, natural or synthetic?? My cheap brush set I have now sheds and that drives me nuts. Does the natural vs. synthetic thing matter for that or is it just the fact that they're cheap?

Truebeauty which Sephora types have you tried? I am coveting the $60 I.T. Collection, but I am definitely open. Also, natural or synthetic?? My cheap brush set I have now sheds and that drives me nuts. Does the natural vs. synthetic thing matter for that or is it just the fact that they're cheap?
the $60 IT set is AMAZING! I own it and the brushes are so soft and such nice quality too!

Originally Posted by koolcryyss /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Quote: Originally Posted by Jackieblue /img/forum/go_quote.gif

the $60 IT set is AMAZING! I own it and the brushes are so soft and such nice quality too!

Is it the one with the holder? I wish they had the caps but that holder looks really handy. I hope it doesn't sell out bc it will be a while before I can order it if I decide to go with that one. Would not be the first great deal I have missed at Sephora.
icon_cry.gif

I've heard great things from bdellium and Crown brushes. For sure my next brush purchases will be from bdellium and Kryolan's Premium line. Right now I use brushes from MAC, MUFE, Quo, Lancome, and unfortunately, Lise Watier.

I absolutely LOVE my MAC #217 Blending Brush.  If I could only have one eyeshadow brush, this would be it!  

You have got to check out coastal sense! They have SUPAH CHEAP brushes and take no time during delivery. All of them are wonderful quality and you get to choose between natural or synthetic. Not to mention they have a LARGE quantity to choose from. They are very similar to Sigma but less than half the cost. 

If you're just starting out, getting a Sonia Kashuk set from Target might be the way to go.  You'll get a nice mix of brushes that you can play with til you figure out which ones you'll really use.  Then, you can splurge on them if you want, but pricier isn't always better.

I have a mix of brushes from different brands, and --my faves are: Mac 22 Angled liner, Trish McEvoy 54 Va Va Voom Smudge brush, Trish McEvoy 11 flat lining brush,Bobbi Brown eye shadow brush (good size for my smaller eyelid, I can't use the huge shadow brushes), and the Sonia Kashuk large crease brush (I actually found this to be the best blending brush I've ever come across for me).  

Is it the one with the holder? I wish they had the caps but that holder looks really handy. I hope it doesn't sell out bc it will be a while before I can order it if I decide to go with that one. Would not be the first great deal I have missed at Sephora.
icon_cry.gif
Yup I got the set with the holder! I think its sold out online though :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

icon_cry.gif
Nevermind I just checked and it looks like its restocked online! Order it before it sells out again!!

By far my favorite brushes are the Real Technique by Samantha Chapman, they're so unique and so durable. I feel like they will last me a long time and with stand face after face. I hope that is helpful <3

xx

-Imani Love

Latest posts

Back