Worst products of 2012?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Anyone buy a product or given a sample that was just awful for YOU so far in 2012?

Skincare, Makeup, Shampoos, anything at all?  If so, what was the product name and why? (including drugstore brands)

For me, it was Boscia's new White Mask peel, which promises to diminish fine lines.  I had to scrub my face to get that sucker off. Ughhh... :/

Did the fine lines go with it at least?

As for me, I have nothing to report yet so far...

ELF palettes. Too much of a miss than a hit as are the ELF lipglosses - way too sticky.

Originally Posted by zadidoll /img/forum/go_quote.gif

ELF palettes. Too much of a miss than a hit as are the ELF lipglosses - way too sticky.
ELF is almost always hit or miss to begin with. Love their brushes, and love them for the things that ARE good, but I rarely recommend them unless someone has a specific need, ya know?

Originally Posted by vogueboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Did the fine lines go with it at least?

As for me, I have nothing to report yet so far...
Unfortunately no.  Although I did find an amazing alternative (Peter Thomas Roth's Glycolic Acid 10% Hydrating Gel)

Pangea Organics facial scrub - smells bad, like rotting fruit.

Elizabeth Arden Prevage - made me break out (and I rarely break out)

Both were samples; glad I didn't waste my $$ on either of them.

Originally Posted by calexxia /img/forum/go_quote.gif

ELF is almost always hit or miss to begin with. Love their brushes, and love them for the things that ARE good, but I rarely recommend them unless someone has a specific need, ya know?
Yes, I agree. Their pencil liners are possibly my favorite eyeliner, and their brushes are good but ugh ewww their shadows and lipglosses. I'm also in love with their mineral foundation.

Guerlain L'or Radiance concentrate with pure gold makeup base. I got it in a small sample size from a Sephora summer set and this stuff is expensive and does absolutely nothing for me. I only wanted to try it out as it's too expensive on it's own but I feel it's overrated crap.

Maybelline Baby Lips. After all that hype, they did nothing to moisturize my smackers, even made them peel.

Originally Posted by Beautiijunkii /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Maybelline Baby Lips. After all that hype, they did nothing to moisturize my smackers, even made them peel.
Interesting what works for some and not for others--I love my Baby Lips that I've purchased!

For me, my worst products (so far) have to be some Nick Chavez hair products I purchased during their St. Patrick's day sale. They smell absolutely terrible, like the worst, most chemical-filled salon you can possibly imagine. I tried them a couple of times, but I ended up getting rid of them because the stench was so strong and putrid. 

Korres mattifying primer.  Could not get it to work for me no matter what I tried.  When used under my foundation, it pilled,  When used over my foundation, it dissolved my makeup.  A complete fail.

Originally Posted by Beautiijunkii /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Agree! I really didn't care for the Baby Lips at all.

Originally Posted by Lulubelle107 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Korres mattifying primer.  Could not get it to work for me no matter what I tried.  When used under my foundation, it pilled,  When used over my foundation, it dissolved my makeup.  A complete fail.
Same here, I even tried it with the mattifying treatment and it broke me out, made me look greasy within 30 minutes, and never felt like it really set.  Horrible stuff.

Originally Posted by Lulubelle107 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I just got a sample of this from Sephora and it totally pilled on me too :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> disappointing. 

The Kerataste Shampoo & Conditioner samples from Birchbox. The overpowering fragrance followed me around for 24 hours and tried to steal my wallet. I had to wash my hair just to get the smell out.
sick.gif

But a product I actually bought? I am currently looking at Essie's Penny Talk on my fingernails, debating how long I'm going to let this mess sit on my fingers...

Make Up For Ever's HD Liquid Foundation for me. I was so excited to find something lightweight that actually matched my skin tone.. and then it broke me out bad. First time I've ever had a product break me out. I was so sad when I returned it to Sephora, I had such high hopes.

I also grabbed one of those Cover Girl Blast Flipsticks when it was on sale (always looking for inexpensive lip color, wanting to save my money for eye makeup) and it felt, smelled, and applied like that cheap makeup I used to get in little play sets when I was six. I had to take it off just because of the smell. The next day, my lips were dried out and stung a little bit. Maybe an allergic reaction? Who knows. I just cannot find a Covergirl item I like.

Four things come to mind immediately:

Nail polish: Sally Hansen Salon Effects in "Barracuda" -streaky, bubbly, horrid nightmare...worst nail polish I've ever used! I have others from that line that are incredible...but this one was awful. Maybe I got a dud?!

Lip Gloss: NARS Larger Than Life lip gloss in "Palace Vendome" This is by far the WORST lip gloss I've ever used. It's going back to Sephora! The color is pretty, but the applicator is like trying to apply lip gloss with a toothpick...awful! It's also a very streaky gloss. For the the price I paid, I expect that lip gloss to get up and cook me breakfast in the morning, not take an hour to apply, and look streaky! Sephora has a great return policy, so this one is going back to the store the next time I visit. (When I tried it on in the store, I used one of their disposable doe-foot applicators, so I had no idea the applicator tip that came with the gloss was like a toothpick! I'll never buy from that line again, but I do LOVE their regular lip gloss in "Wonder". 

Hair Care: Organix Renewing Moroccan Argan Oil Treatment. I followed the directions on the tub exactly, and this stuff singed my scalp horribly! I had such a horrid reaction to it that I had to go see my dermatologist as an emergency! I called the company and let them know what happened. (I've used other products from the Organix line in the past and have never had an issue. I've used a lot of things from the Coconut Milk line, Pomegranate & Green Tea Shampoo, even the Vanilla Silk shampoo/conditioner: None of those products irritated me or broke me out, only that one.)

Foundation: Revlon Color Stay Whipped Creme Foundation. I've used there regular Revlon Color Stay foundation in the past, so I really wanted to try this new one out. I used it for several weeks and really enjoyed the coverage and consistency. Unfortunately, I started to notice painful cystic acne bumps start to pop up all over my face. (I'm fortunate in that my skin NEVER breaks out, ever....so I knew without a doubt that it was the foundation.) That royally stinks because I loved the foundation, but I will not continue to use a product that breaks me out, so yesterday I got matched with Makeup Forever's Matte Velvet+ and like that so far! Hopefully it will work out! 

- organix moroccan  oil shampoo (blue bottle) - left my hair greeeeeasy.. didn't like it at all. i love the brazilian keratin shampoo though a lot!

don't really have anything else to report so far... got lucky, i guess :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Hmmmm, I have a bunch

Benefit sugarbomb blush-Too light

Tarte Frisky blush-Too dark

Benefit erasepaste- couldnt find a match

Elf powder foundation- It broke me out

Bareminerals pure transformation- $60 and not much help

Bably lips- Barely stays on and no benefits for my lips.

Elf concealers-They didnt work. The tone correcting and the coverstick and all over concealer

Tarte lipsurgence in amused- Gritty and the color was a bright cotton candy that didnt look right on me.

Staniac- Hardly noticable and it doesnt really stay on

Tarte bouncy maracuja blush- The color was pretty and pigmented, but I couldnt blend it to make it work, It always made me look bright red.

Color club nail polishes- Hate the formula, way too streaky

Back