Sign in to follow this  
Airi Magdalene

I'll be the first to post!

Since nobody else has set up camp here, I'm a makeup and effects artist. Special effects are the main reason I got into the industry! I'll share some photos of my work here and maybe some more people will want to talk about/learn about special effects. I'd be happy to answer questions and stuff! 

FXSlitThroat.jpg

Slit throat with some deadface. I'm really proud of the facial veins in this one.
FX_MangledHand.jpg

Mangled hand, made to look as though it's still bleeding.
FXWound.jpg

Zombie wound.

• Like 2

seriously, that is AWESOME!! what other types of special effects do you do?  Thanks for posting those pics!! I especially like how your hands look like they have bumps/blisters/warts on them! Super detailed! Do you have a blog or something of your work?

I'm just now starting to use Facebook to network my work. I always thought it was an overrated tool, but now I'm starting to get into it. Feel free to look at my Facebook page! 
I do all kinds of effects. Some were a little TOO graphic to post here. I have a set of photos where a model is being decapitated. I'm trying to expand my effects portfolio. :)

• Like 1

I like the blisters on the fingers. Well done! (The over-all work is well done too).

What did you take your training? and what shows have you been on?

I didn't take any formal training. I read a lot of books and watched a lot of documentaries about special effects and spent the past four years learning through trial and error. I've never been on any shows. I mostly work on photoshoots and stuff. One short film.

• Like 1

Originally Posted by Airi Magdalene View Post

I didn't take any formal training. I read a lot of books and watched a lot of documentaries about special effects and spent the past four years learning through trial and error. I've never been on any shows. I mostly work on photoshoots and stuff. One short film.

Your stuff looks good for being self-taught.

You know, that hand wound is all beauty products that almost everybody with an average sized collection has. 

Really??? How did you do the blisters? And how did you solve the problem of non-transferrance? Now I am very intrigued...

I remember in make-up school, we learned that you can do out-of-kit effects using regular beauty make-ups, but this one is different.

The best way to prevent product from transferring is to use an alcohol based color and then powder. I have used regular cream products and diluted them with 99% alcohol they will hold up for a good amount of time. This is one of the main things I teach how to make products last and use anything you have even if it comes from the craft service table.

***removed spam***

• Like 1

Whenever anybody asks how I made the blisters, I usually say it's a secret. But I'll tell you. It's an emulsion of vitamin e, aloe, and dimethicone. You can find this combination of products in things such as hair serums. I then used raw pigment to colour it the way I wanted it, using about half pigment and half of the solution. Then, I rubbed it over the already prepped surface of my fingers, which were covered in a glucose based blood serum I made myself. The dimethicone mixture naturally gravitated apart and created the blisters. All I did was watch. It was sciency and fun. It took a lot of research to plan that one, but I'm really proud of it since I'm positive it's an original method.

• Like 1

Whenever anybody asks how I made the blisters, I usually say it's a secret. But I'll tell you. It's an emulsion of vitamin e, aloe, and dimethicone. You can find this combination of products in things such as hair serums. I then used raw pigment to colour it the way I wanted it, using about half pigment and half of the solution. Then, I rubbed it over the already prepped surface of my fingers, which were covered in a glucose based blood serum I made myself. The dimethicone mixture naturally gravitated apart and created the blisters. All I did was watch. It was sciency and fun. It took a lot of research to plan that one, but I'm really proud of it since I'm positive it's an original method.

That's very creative. So how did you set it? And not make it transfer off?

I didn't set it. It congeals and thickens over time. It would transfer if you weren't mindful of it,and say, reached into your pocket or something. But with regular use of the hand, it's sticky enough to stay put. 

I didn't set it. It congeals and thickens over time. It would transfer if you weren't mindful of it,and say, reached into your pocket or something. But with regular use of the hand, it's sticky enough to stay put. 

Ahh, copy that. The reason I asked, is that you get the odd actor who is not mindful of an elaborate out-of-kit effect such as this, and they destroy it. (unintentionally of course).

I find that homemade S F/X recipes are quite interesting. (Food and sans-food). I don't use this type of version on set, (due to the exact procedures that you listed here) but it's interesting to note that's how most, if not all, S F/X products got their start... At home in the kitchen.

• Like 2

Oh Dear What is this,,,? And Why here...?
Because it's in correct sub-forum... Special Effects Make-up.
  • Like 1

I too want to venture into FX makeup!

Schools look a little pricey though, any one know of a good school in Canada?

Please let me know.

Thx