$700 for ONE nail polish???!!!

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I love indie nail polish like Enchanted Polish, Ozotic, Lynnderella, etc.  I have pretty much turned my back on buying mainstream stuff cause at almost 200 polishes, I really have got the basics MORE THAN covered (although I'm always more than willing to do a swap!).  There are only so many shades of pink or red or even blue or purple for that matter before you start duplicating.

I occasionally check out Etsy and eBay to see what is available.  This weekend I saw that TWO Lynnderella polishes that had bids of more than $700 and $600!!  Both were Limited Editions and there is one listed now that is $600!!  

What planet would you have to live on to spend that kind of money on ONE nail polish??!!  I've never yet purchased a Deborah Lippman because I would have to seriously love, love, love a polish to spend more than $15 on it.  I do have 4 Lynnderellas from back when you had to send in a wishlist and wait FOREVER to get it filled but they were just $15 a piece.  I have been drooling over Chanel Peridot for quite some time but haven't decided if I really like it enough to spend $30 or so dollars for it.  I don't know...maybe I'm just cheap??  

I was just wondering if my fellow nail polish addicts here on MUT would spend so much on a polish?  What is your personal price limit??  Are you willing to spend more for Limited Editions or scarce indie polishes?

LyndaV

omg i seriously just went to ebay to look because i thought maybe you made a typo, and there are literally 43 bids up to $600 for that polish.

it's cute, but it doesn't seem like anything special?  i don't know anything about Lynnderella polish so maybe i don't get the hype. but for that much money, wouldn't it just be easier to invest it in making your own polish?? o_O

I know - it is a mint green with multi glitter?  The other two weren't that big of a deal either!  One was a gold glitter and the other one I can't remember.  Can anyone fill us in on why they are so pricey?

What is wrong with people? That is legitimately stupid. Making your own polish isn't that hard. 

I'd much rather buy a whole line of polishes! Ridiculous lol. I don't have any polishes by Deborah Lippman, either. My cap is at $8, which is like a Zoya. I am open to buying dupes or multiples of colors, if in different brands or harder to find colors only. Now, I'm trying to expand more, but not do too many of the same shades. Besides, I find myself obsessed with certain shades and will repeatedly reach for them, depending on my mood or look I'm aspiring for that day lol.

Also, it's my understanding that Lynnderella is full of drama and thinks people should feel oh so lucky for getting a bottle of her polish...makes me feel very ehhh towards it. I don't get it at all. 

Originally Posted by Playedinloops /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Also, it's my understanding that Lynnderella is full of drama and thinks people should feel oh so lucky for getting a bottle of her polish...makes me feel very ehhh towards it. I don't get it at all. 
YES! I wouldn't buy polish from her based on the drama alone. Sheesh!

Google her and you'll see what the scoop is about all the drama and why the pricing is as high as it is *cough*possible shill bids*cough*

Originally Posted by calexxia /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Google her and you'll see what the scoop is about all the drama and why the pricing is as high as it is *cough*possible shill bids*cough*
i was suspecting the same thing!!

I looked them on eBay as well...OMG I feel bad buying a nail polish that is even over 8. I was just at TJ MAXX and didn't buy the Essie nail polishes they had and they were 3.99!! I realized that I just have way too much nail polish that now are all looking the same.

I had never heard of this brand till now

I'd never pay that. I tend to stay in the $10 and under zone unless it's something really different or for a special occasion.

Lynnderella is crazy..... Very full of herself... But I do own one Lynn... Connect The Dots, back when the wishlist existed.

The most I have spent for a polish was 20, but passed that for a single bottle of polish... Naw can't do it.

also, on lynnderella's actual ebay account, she made the listings private, so you can't even see nicknames of bidders or w/e you wanna call it. while i realize making listings private is common it seems really weird in light of all these nail polishes going for ridiculous prices.

Im not going to lie, i had to google what Lynnderella nail polish was.

From reading a little bit about her, on her blog, it looks as though she "intended" for her nail polishes to fetch such prices. Who is that full of themselves?!

Sounds like a scam to me.

I'm looking at items on Ebay and $55 for a bottle of home made nail polish? No thanks. With companies like Cult Nails that are far more affordable if I want indy polish I'll still with them.

I'm sorry but it's not even PRETTY polish... the one for $600.

This one is $200.

This one is $177.50 right now.

It looks so cheap looking! I'm sorry but it does and as those prices I would expect the bottle to look more professional not with $1 store stickers that have been handwritten. Maybe I should start making nail polish since I'm such a collector and start selling it for a few hundred bucks too.
wacko.gif

She genuinely feels she can command those prices; she has pulled her products from the one distributor she had been using and is having her brother auction them all on eBay....and this, after it turns out that she had been having everyone ELSE'S auctions of her stuff shut down while she was doing them. Very shady on many levels.

Originally Posted by stlsportsgirl /img/forum/go_quote.gif

If you love Chanel Perdoit invest in OPI Just Spotted the Lizard.  One can barely tell the difference.
Also the China Glaze Bohemian collection due out soon (August last I heard) is likely to have a dupe for that as well as some other great multichromes that you might like. 

Generally if a brand comes out with something brilliant, it gets duped well enough sooner or later...especially Chanel or Lippmann.  That being said, I spend as little as possible for polish, spending more (up to $15 or so) if they're super hard to find and not likely to be recreated anytime soon.  Good holos are pretty hard to find/worth $15 right now imo.

Originally Posted by calexxia /img/forum/go_quote.gif

She genuinely feels she can command those prices; she has pulled her products from the one distributor she had been using and is having her brother auction them all on eBay....and this, after it turns out that she had been having everyone ELSE'S auctions of her stuff shut down while she was doing them. Very shady on many levels.
I just read up on some different blogs about it all based on your suggestion.  It's so out of hand dramatic.  I don't even know what to say about it all, to be honest.

I've only stopped to look at one or two of her polishes in the past when browsing blogs.  I always thought they were just a bunch of glitter mixed together in often clear bases for the most part which I've never personally found appealing.

To each their own, I suppose.  If people are willing to be pay those prices or be influenced by the perception that they are worth those prices, that's their business I suppose.  I know I'd buy a ton of supplies to try to make things myself before I paid that much for a bottle of polish.

I feel the same as you about "make my own before paying THAT much". In fact, my roommate just told me where to go to get automotive flake around here....*cough*

Latest posts

Back