The look bag calls it quits

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
They sent out the following email: 

Quote: Dear Look Bag Subscriber,

[SIZE=14pt] [/SIZE]

[SIZE=14pt]As many of you know, we have been experiencing some troubles in the recent months with our beauty sample program The Look Bag. We have thought very long and hard about this decision and it very much saddens us to say that we have decided to discontinue The Look Bag while we refocus on The Look Store.com to bring you the very best in celebrity beauty picks.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14pt] [/SIZE]

[SIZE=14pt]Those that have purchased gift subscriptions for 3, 6 and 12 months, or yearly subscriptions will be refunded for remaining months. Those who have not yet been charged for July, will not be receiving a July bag. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=14pt] [/SIZE]

[SIZE=14pt]We are sincerely sorry for your inconvenience and as a thank you for sticking with us, we have decided to extend the 20% member discount through the end of the year![/SIZE]

[SIZE=14pt] [/SIZE]

[SIZE=14pt]We will be adding hundreds of new celebrities and over ten thousand new products so please visit The Look Store.com to stay up to date on the latest celebrity picks!![/SIZE]

[SIZE=14pt] [/SIZE]

Sincerely,  
THELOOKSTORE.com

I haven't been subscribed for quite some time, but I liked the look bag while I had it. Sad! 

Is this something you see happening with other companies? Is the subscription market overcrowded? 

I just got the email as well, even though I never subscribed.  They bit off more than they could chew, apparently.

It is sad indeed! I didn't have the look bag for long, but I did enjoy getting it. I can't say that this surprises me, though. It seems like even though they did send out some great products and were at a great price point, they were kind of shaky in a couple of areas (billing, customer service, products arriving intact, etc). Plus, I feel like they never really got their name out there, ya know? It's a shame, because they were pretty good for the cost!

I think their main problem was always having subscriptions open to everyone. Too many for them to handle.

I'm glad they're doing this. Now I don't need to worry about them charging my credit card every month after I've 'cancelled' twice. They kept telling my I was officially cancelled, then charging my card and having to refund me. I tried to change my card info on their site, but there's no way to do that, just your name or address. Out of five months being charged, I only ever received one 'bag'. My very first month, I never got a bag at all. Timothy apologized and said he'd send a new one with some extras to make up for it. Never happpened. I was very disappointed with their service overall.

I liked their bag as well.  I'm sad to see it go.  They were starting to get even more interesting.

It does help me with my monthly sub totals, without having to make a choice.  I've dropped BB Man, Beauty Bag 5, Sindulge (or they dropped us, really), and I skip Beauty Army a lot and also skip Julep if can.  Now Look Bag. :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />  I'd resub to them if they came back up.

I liked them too and am sad to seem them go, but as was stated earlier, it's less $$ outlay for me on these subs per month (I have too many). I think they could have been great and can't fathom why they couldn't get their act together. I work in advertising, and it's pretty obvious their marketing wasn't doing them any favors, either. Maybe they can relaunch some time, and take it slower.

Meanwhile, there are a lot of other subs to choose from. So all I can say is: NEXT!!!

I did like them as well but I agree, I have too many, can't keep up with what came from who, and my sample boxes are filling. I still have glossy, my glam, beauty army and echo emi, that's enough for now. Thinking about ending beauty army, not really liking my selections from them. I would be content with the three, I also have crave box and curl kit...trying to add curl box but do I really need it, maybe not :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

It didn't surprise me to see them close up shop. To be frank they were never on par with Birchbox or Sample Society much less Beauty Army and even MyGlam is better. I have a feeling part of the reason they are discontinuing the beauty box side is due to losing money by sending out so many free bags for two or three months in a row. They also overpay their celebrities to try and promote their main site but never used those same celebrities to cultivate the bags or promote the bags unlike MyGlam which uses the YouTube celebrities like Beth, Jessica, Andrea and Promise.

Originally Posted by EricaD /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm glad they're doing this. Now I don't need to worry about them charging my credit card every month after I've 'cancelled' twice. They kept telling my I was officially cancelled, then charging my card and having to refund me. I tried to change my card info on their site, but there's no way to do that, just your name or address. Out of five months being charged, I only ever received one 'bag'. My very first month, I never got a bag at all. Timothy apologized and said he'd send a new one with some extras to make up for it. Never happpened. I was very disappointed with their service overall.
Yeah, but now do we have to worry about being charged out of the blue if they decide to open up shop again down the line? I just signed up and this was going to be my first month. I don't think I'm even going to get that first bag now. BUT, they still have my credit card info. I'm kind of worried about it. This really sucks. I wish I'd never gotten involved with these yahoos!

Personally, I don't think they ever intended to give out free bags to anyone. Their website was super glitchy and I just doubt people who unsubscribed ever got removed from the database.

I liked The Look Bag, too, and am sorry to see it go.  It was very nice of them to let us have the 20% discount until the end of the year.

Originally Posted by oOliveColored /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Personally, I don't think they ever intended to give out free bags to anyone. Their website was super glitchy and I just doubt people who unsubscribed ever got removed from the database.
I don't think they did either. I know tons of people (myself included) received several months for free. No idea how much money they lost from that, but I'm betting it could have been a fair amount. 

I just found this forum today while searching for problems with the Look Bag. I have been charged twice in June. I have not received any boxes from that month and cancelled my subscription. I sent them an e-mail today and asked them for a refund. They replied and said they were sending a JUne box this month.  I don't have a good feeling about getting any where with this. I also received the e-mail today so that makes me more  concerned that I may not ever see a refund.

Request a refund now stating that you this is JULY and the JUNE box should have been sent in JUNE and if they don't issue you a refund within three business days you will file a dispute with your bank/credit card company as well as file a complaint with your state and their state's Attorney Generals offices.

Yeah, but now do we have to worry about being charged out of the blue if they decide to open up shop again down the line? I just signed up and this was going to be my first month. I don't think I'm even going to get that first bag now. BUT, they still have my credit card info. I'm kind of worried about it. This really sucks. I wish I'd never gotten involved with these yahoos!
I'm concerned about that too. I've been worried for months about the fact that they have my credit card info, but idk what to do about it. I do find it suspicious that there's no way to update your card info for you account on their website.

"You couldn't trust us to get your $10 subscription right - here's a 20% coupon to spend even more money in our store. We're totally going to get it right this time - promise!"

Yea, no thanks.

I'm glad they're doing this. Now I don't need to worry about them charging my credit card every month after I've 'cancelled' twice. They kept telling my I was officially cancelled, then charging my card and having to refund me. I tried to change my card info on their site, but there's no way to do that, just your name or address. Out of five months being charged, I only ever received one 'bag'. My very first month, I never got a bag at all. Timothy apologized and said he'd send a new one with some extras to make up for it. Never happpened. I was very disappointed with their service oveirall.
I received what I'm guessing is the July LookBag today! Seriously?! I couldn't get them to send me anything when I was paying them! I checked, and they haven't charged me. Just one more screw-up to confirm they're doing the right thing by closing down.

Back