Real opinions needed. Thinking about Subbing.

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Since The Look Bag has decided to call it quits, I have an extra $10.00 in my budget to use on a Sub service. I would like you ladies opinions on MyGlam.

Is it worth the $10.00?​
When do they ship?​
How long do you have to wait on the wait list?​
How is the customer service?​
Has anyone had major problems with them, like extra charges?​
 ​
Any other info you would like to give about your experiences would be appreciated! Thanks in advance!!​
 ​

I joined myglam from the beginning until a month ago.  I stopped because I was getting small samples (where it wasn't enough to tell if a product worked), I didn't feel like it was worth it to me. They were giving more skin care and less makeup which I was looking for.  In the past month or so they seem to have gotten better with larger samples and more make up.  I moved on to other subs that give perks like birchbox.  

and people have complained that the waitlist for myglam is quite long.

Which subs do you currently belong to?

Originally Posted by Kristin1387 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I joined myglam from the beginning until a month ago.  I stopped because I was getting small samples (where it wasn't enough to tell if a product worked), I didn't feel like it was worth it to me. They were giving more skin care and less makeup which I was looking for.  In the past month or so they seem to have gotten better with larger samples and more make up.  I moved on to other subs that give perks like birchbox.  

and people have complained that the waitlist for myglam is quite long.

Which subs do you currently belong to?
Currently I am with Birchbox and Sample Society. Like I said I have been with Look Bag, and I have tried Green Grab Bag as well. I am currently on the wait list for Cravebox.

Is it worth the $10.00?

I feel that the last few bags are worth more than $10. They seem to have listened to their customers and realize that people want make up. If that will continue, I have no clue but I hope so! Oh and the recent products are all something that I personally would use or like to try, not sure how everyone feels about that though.

When do they ship?

They tend to ship around the 10th (could be a little bit before or after). My June bag shipped on the 6th, and my July bag shipped on the 11th. Tracking is emailed a day or two after the bag ships, and some people seem to not get tracking at all.

How long do you have to wait on the wait list?

N/A. I signed up when they launched.

How is the customer service?

Customer service is nice, though it can take awhile to get a response. I think the longest I've waited for a response was 2 days. Not sure if they still do it, but they were copying and pasting responses if multiple people are having similar issues. This caused me some frustration since sometimes that didn't fully answer what I emailed about.

Has anyone had major problems with them, like extra charges?

I haven't, but I think others did a few months ago.

They mainly update on their Facebook page, so if you join make sure to add them on there!

Is it worth the $10.00?

I like it, so yes. Some months will be better than others of course, just like all other sample services. A lot of people complained in February and March, but they've since been taking all suggestions into consideration and have stepped it up. I've only been subscribed since February and each month I feel that it's been getting better. I always found it worth the 10 dollars though. 

When do they ship?

Around the 10th of each month

Not sure

There's positive feedback on the customer service on their Facebook wall, but I've never had to reach out to them.

Not I.

I would suggest googling the past months bags to see if it's something you'd be interested in. I personally like it, but it's not for everyone. This month's was amazing. 

Hi there.  Thought I would weigh in too..

I think as with all of the sub's, each month is touch and go.  Some months, I am amazed at what I got for $10 and others, not so much.  That being said, there are basically two ways of thinking....

1.  Keep the extra $10 a month and then after a few months, buy something you really want.  That is for people who are not interested in trying new products, but just want "stuff" for cheaper than it retails for.  I tend to fall into this category more often than not, but I do actually sub to myglam and Birchbox and have enjoyed both a lot.

2.  Realize that you may not always be interested in the items even if they are good items.  Get the sub and try it for a few months and then decide.  I don't think one month is enough to tell.  Also, this is better for people wanting to try new products and who are not picky about what they are.  (Skin care, makeup, nail polish, etc.)

I myself, have super sensitive skin, so all of the skin care samples are a no go for me.  Naturally when I get a box full of skin care I am a little disappointed.  Not that the samples aren't good, but just that I won't really use them.

That being said, I keep subbing and use the products for guests when the visit, give them to friends, or just hoard them for a rainy day.   :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />  

Personally, I think even drugstore products are getting so expensive that $10 to try some other things is totally worth it.  I haven't felt cheated by a bag yet, although I have had some underwhelming ones.  

All told, only you can decide if it's worth it.  Take a look at the past few months bags and see if there is anything in there that you feel you would pay $10 for.  If the majority of the past bags have something you like, then go for it.  You can always cancel at any time.  

Good luck!

Is it worth the $10.00?

I definitely think so!  Some months have been better than others but I would say that MyGlam has been on an upward rise since March.  Its worst bags were in February and March. They were getting a lot of hate for sending out foil packets from non-brand name products.  However, it's been a while since I've seen a foil packet sample, and the brands have slowly morphed into ones you'd see at Sephora or Ulta.  I definitely have been using the products that have been sent to me.  They do seem to have a wide range of beauty products in their bags (i.e. one hair care item, one skincare item, and generally two makeup items).  Last month they sent out an hair mask, a moisturizer, gloss or lipstain, and cleaning wipes, and nail polish.  In June, they sent out lipstick, anti-frizz creme, liquid eyeliner, and moisturizer.  Also note: they tend to send out the same items to everyone and there's no customization in terms of beauty profiles at this point in time. 

Plus, while they don't have a rewards system like Birchbox or Glossybox, they do constantly send out discounts and promotions for buying the products that were included in the bags.  (Some examples have been 15% of any product or free shipping with no limit. They used to send out coupons of $25 off a $50 purchase from the Dermstore.)

Also, if you're a FACEBOOK user or take advantage of social networking sites, MyGlam constantly does monthly giveaways, something that I think is exclusive to them because I haven't seen other subscription companies do this.  They like giving away full palettes or lots of makeup from the products included in that month's bag. For example, last month because they sent out a Nyx lipstick, the contest they ran was to win a full set of Nyx lipsticks.  All you had to do was upload a picture of your MyGlam bag and its products to their Facebook page and they'd randomly pick a winner.  So that's another perk if you're one to use facebook, twitter, or instagram.

When do they ship?

They generally ship mid-month. When they shipped from California, I'd get it around the 12th-14th.  Now since they're shipping from North Carolina, I get the bags a little later than that.  They did say that they'd ship bags to people living on the westcoast first so that everyone would receive their bags around the same time.

I'm not sure.  I joined in December and got the January bag so I haven't been on the waitlist. I can't imagine that it would be more than a month, though.

I haven't had to talk to them for a while since I never had any problems with my bags. I did email them back in January when the shipping problems were occuring to give them advice with how I thought they should run the company (a little prententious of me, I know).  They did respond to my emails a week later, but I think that was because my email wasn't that high of a priority in comparison to other customer emails (like from those who had missing bags) and because they had only two or three customer care representatives at the time.  They were very courteous and thanked me for my ideas and feedback, and said that they would pass along my ideas to their management.  ONE thing I have to applaud MyGlam about is that they're very open to ideas and really do listen to customer feedback. When peoiple wanted makeup brushes or chocolate in their bag as a lifestyle extra, they put them in.  (Of course more people thought that this was a bad idea, but whatever.) Also when people complained about the makeup brands that were being included, they asked for feedback about the types of brands they'd like to see and they also changed the types of samples being sent out. 

If you want to see the entire management and customer service team, go to their website and click on "MYGLAM TEAM" and you'll see a little cartoon animation of all the MyGlam staff.

Nope, I've never had any problems with billing, shipping, or the actual items in my bags. But a lot of people did have shipping and billing problems back in January, February, and March.  I think that was partly because they had launched with a billing system that still had many bugs in it.  However, I think that they've gotten a lot smoother since March onwards.  Occasionally people will be missing an item or will receive doubles of one item.  To get the problem fixed, you need to email the MyGlam staff about it, and they'll send out a replacement in two or three weeks (after all the bags from that month have gone out).

But, overall, I'm really satisfied with MyGlam.  I get both MyGlam and Birchbox, and every month it's a toss-up with which bag has impressed me the most.  So, check out the other bags, maybe wait a couple of months and see if the items that you're getting are things you'd be interested in.  I definitely would say though that MyGlam has a slightly stronger emphasis on makeup compared to Glossybox and Birchbox (but with Birchbox, I guess that depends on what box you're getting.)

Is it worth the $10.00?​
IMO, the two last bags were worth the $10.00. If you are considering to use the coupons and discount codes they give, you might be able to get good deals for that month.​
 ​
 ​
When do they ship?​
They ship at every 10th of the month. They used to ship from San Leandro which is 30mins away from where we live, I usually get my bags 2-3 days after that. The previous month's bag shipped from NC, it took 4-5 days to get to me.
frown.gif
 ​
N/A. I signed up a few minutes after they launched last December. Stalker much!!
icon_cheesygrin.gif
 ​
They are pretty responsive when you post some concerns on their FB wall. I do not recall contacting them personally but the way I see and observe subbers here and on their FB wall, it's pretty mediocre. Just do not expect stellar customer service.​
 ​
Nothing major except those stinky bags and foil packets of samples before. the Wen and X-out issues and such. I do not believe they charge extra (S&H or taxes) or maybe haven't heard anybody complain about it.​
 ​
I can say it's keeping up it's competition against other sample boxes. I am just okay with it maybe because I am one of the hopefuls who expect to experience good things sticking to it for a long time. For the past 7 months, I can say I am happy with my bag. If you have $10, another suggestion is to put it in Birchbox because they have great incentives (20% off every three months, free shipping on certain items (which means you do not need to spend $50 total to get FS) BB points earned from taking surveys/referrals/puchases can be applied towards your purchase. I read Zadidoll's article she got $200 worth of stuff for free because she used her BB points.​
 ​
I hope this helps too.
smile.gif
 ​
 ​

Another Question, I am about to sign up for the wait list. Do they let you know that you are off the wait list before they charge you, since you have to put in your CC #? I want to be sure that they do not just take money out of my account before I know about it.

Originally Posted by iPretty949 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Is it worth the $10.00?​
IMO, the two last bags were worth the $10.00. If you are considering to use the coupons and discount codes they give, you might be able to get good deals for that month.​
 ​
 ​
When do they ship?​
They ship at every 10th of the month. They used to ship from San Leandro which is 30mins away from where we live, I usually get my bags 2-3 days after that. The previous month's bag shipped from NC, it took 4-5 days to get to me.
frown.gif
 ​
N/A. I signed up a few minutes after they launched last December. Stalker much!!
icon_cheesygrin.gif
 ​
They are pretty responsive when you post some concerns on their FB wall. I do not recall contacting them personally but the way I see and observe subbers here and on their FB wall, it's pretty mediocre. Just do not expect stellar customer service.​
 ​
Nothing major except those stinky bags and foil packets of samples before. the Wen and X-out issues and such. I do not believe they charge extra (S&H or taxes) or maybe haven't heard anybody complain about it.​
 ​
I can say it's keeping up it's competition against other sample boxes. I am just okay with it maybe because I am one of the hopefuls who expect to experience good things sticking to it for a long time. For the past 7 months, I can say I am happy with my bag. If you have $10, another suggestion is to put it in Birchbox because they have great incentives (20% off every three months, free shipping on certain items (which means you do not need to spend $50 total to get FS) BB points earned from taking surveys/referrals/puchases can be applied towards your purchase. I read Zadidoll's article she got $200 worth of stuff for free because she used her BB points.​
 ​
I hope this helps too.
smile.gif
 ​
 ​
I have BB and Sample Society, now, lol. I love them both for different reasons, I am just wanting to expand a bit. I tried Green Grab Bag too and wasn't all that impressed.

I just joined like 5 min ago and am wait listed too. I subbed to GB last month and canceled before I got my box. too much stress! and I skipped Julep this month so i figured 10 for myglam wasn't bad at all and their last 2 bags have looked really good. when i first started subbing to these beauty boxes in march and checked them out- i was like YIKES! I'm definitely not going to get myglam! but it seems like they've gotten over their 'new company' hump and are really hitting their stride. Ready to try them out and hope I'm not on the wait list too long!

Originally Posted by Pellen /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I have BB and Sample Society, now, lol. I love them both for different reasons, I am just wanting to expand a bit. I tried Green Grab Bag too and wasn't all that impressed.
That's great!  You should just observe for a bit and see if MyGlam is sending out stuff you'd be interested in sampling. 

Back